GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 215 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have your "Conceal to Carry" permit, what's your choice of handgun to keep on your person and have with you while riding your bike. I hear a lot of talk about the Bersa .380 and also the the Keltec .32 and .380.
Thanks for the info,
Eddie Flinchum :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
We just got the right to carry (don't get me started on 'right to carry') in Ohio and I'm going to look at the Glock 27. Caliber .40 S&W and compact in size. Next look will be at a .357/.38 wheel gun in Titanium. Size and weight are important to me. Piper

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I went for the Glock 19. The 27 was too small and my fingers hung off the bottom of the magazine. With a bigger mag it might be all right, but with the stock one I didn't feel comfortable.

I went with 9mm so my SO would be comfortable shooting it also. She enjoys it and I almost have her talked into keeping the 9mm and getting myself a 10mm or the .40 :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
Either a Sig-Sauer P226 (9mm) or Sig-Sauer P220 (.45 ACP). I like the Glocks quite a bit, but never could get used to having no control over the firing mechanism. I prefer a hammer or a de-cocking lever, or anything other than no control at all. (Yes, I know that Glocks are perfectly safe, I just have my preferences!)

The best advice, however, is to find a handgun which fits your hand well. Caliber is no where near as important as shot placement and a gun that doesn't fit your hand will never allow for accuracy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Interesting topic. Had never though of carrying a handgun on a bike.

Seems to me the car rules should apply equaly to the Wing, and even without a permit to carry concealed weapons one can put the magazine in the front lockable compartment and the actual handgun gun in the trunk.

Any member of Law Enforcement in California on board. who could comment?

·
Registered
25 Posts
preferred handgun

As a cop and a federal agent Ive carried 38 s to 45 s autos and revolvers. As an old retired guy I like my SW 2 1/2" 357 . Easy to take cylinder off and spread around the bike as parts. Not as bulky as a 45 Auto and if you cant stop someone with 6, 357 rounds then 12, 9mm rounds wouldnt have helped you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
keltec 9mm

I like the keltec 9mm, cheap, light, reliable, small (fits in a back pocket) and it's double action...makes me feel a little safer

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's my 30 year old Colt Combat Commander (45), that has faithfully taken me through all of my state law enforcement time, U.S. Navy shooting team, State Patrol shooting team, U.S. Border Patrol shooting team, and all of my off-duty time. It is equipped with "special" recipe loads from my own loading kitchen and barks white flame in bright sunlight for about 12 inches. Should I be in a situation away from this faithful friend, I have an American Arms 2.5in, S.S. 22 magnum in my pocket at all times. :lol: :s27:

I have others, but none that I am as fond of or work as completely.
GOD, GUNS and GUTS made AMERICA FREE!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I am stuck inbetween the Wal-marts translucent lime &
K-marts solid orange water pistols.

I remember once, when I was young, I actual held a real
gun. :( I just hope you guys are around when I need
you, 'cause I ain't the karate kid. Maybe motorcycle rallies
are more safe than I thought? Undercovers everywhere.

G

·
Sig P230 (light, small, .380)
Sig SP2340 (medium weight and size, chambered in .40 S&W)

....depends on what I'm wearing and what I'm doing. :wink:

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
I have a Browning BDA .380. It fit perfectly in the gas tank top pocket on my 1200. Haven't tried it in the pocket of my 1800 yet, but it should fit well in the right hand pocket.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Kahr PM9. Very small, easy to drop in a pocket. Even a front pocket of a fitted jacket without much of a print.

I like to find an empty country road and set water filled 1-gallon jugs on fence posts. Usually load up 15 or 20. Then I'll run passes at varying speeds from 40 to 70 miles an hour blasting the jugs from the fence posts. Sometimes I'll set the cruise and stand up on the seat. This allows for better two-handed shooting. If you think I'm kidding, you are right!

Ride safe and shoot straight.

1 - 20 of 215 Posts