GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you have a mileage limit on your Goldwing when you start to think about trading for a new(er) GL1800 do to possible major mechanical troubles lurking down the road?

Would it be hard for you to sink $1,000 into a 7-8 year old bike if say your drive train needed replacement etc.?

There's a post started were a rider traded a 2008 for a new 2012 Goldwing because he felt 50,000 miles was the ideal mileage to trade for value and resale.

Your Thoughts.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Have an 02 with 102,000 and not even thinking of trading. Sold last wing at 100,000 to a friend and he now has 160,000 and no problems. I expected more out of the 2012 so we gonna ride the Wolf some more. Changed out final drive and drive shaft because driveshaft boot tore and let in water.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
High miles

I have an 07 coming up on 127000 miles and am not thinking about trading. For about $300 you can look around and find a finial drive , rotor , rear caliper with shoes and a rear take off shock , all with next to zero miles. Replace all of the above items and have a almost new bike except for the miles on the motor.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sold the 98 1500 at 63000 the 02 at 56000 and the 05 at 67000 didn't have a problem with any of them just like to get different bikes to make the Harley boys said that goldwing guy has a new bike. And I pass them all, because I can't hear my radio.:shrug:

·
Registered
958 Posts
Would it be hard for you to sink $1,000 into a 7-8 year old bike if say your drive train needed replacement etc.?

Your Thoughts.

Thanks
If I could change out my drive train for $1K, I would never trade.

·
Registered
7,207 Posts
Honda would have to offer a new Gold Wing for me to get rid of my 2003 model. There just isn't enough differences between my 2003 model and the new model to make me want to spend all the money it would take....and that's before the money it would take to bring the suspension and seat of the new bike to the level that I already have with my 2003 model....just not worth it to me, beside my 03 looks dam good, most people think it's brand new and it runs flawlessly.

S

·
0 Posts
To be realistic. If you put more than 80k on the bike your better off not trading and just running it into the ground. Even though these machines will go 300k with minimal maintenance the average Joe sees 80k and thinks this bike is shot. You will take a sever beating dollar wise and trade for a bike that is essentially exactly what you now have.
My opinion is to trade with 50k or less or keep it. Personally I plan on never trading and would never buying a new bike. I buy the ones with 100k on them because I know better :cool:

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I sold my 02 with 37,000 miles on it in 2008 for $13,200, and I bought a new 08 for $18,200 out the door, only cost me $5,000 to move up 6 years and have a bike with a warranty. I sold my 08 in 2010 with 29,000 miles and bought a new Concours and had $5,000 left over from the deal. I do it when I think the time is right for me to get the best price and the lowest amount out of pocket to move to a newer/different bike

S

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a good plan.

I bought my 01 in 03 for 12500, at the time it had 29k on the clock. Now it's at 108k and book value is just what I paid for it back in 03. Real value is probably around $8500-$9000.
At least that's my guess and on trade it would be worse.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Apparently, I don't. :lol: 206k on her and she's never missed a beat. :thumbup:

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
For us, it is a matter of features, functions and economics, not mileage.

S

·
0 Posts
In general if you don't wish to trade or sell you will probably see well over 200k without much problem.
To put it in perspective my buddy just turned 48k on his 2003 HD and has had the engine mostly rebuilt as a standard 45k process. The cams were shot so they pulled the engine and replaced the cams, all the bearings and installed new rings. Bike runs fine but this just adds to the somewhat false idea that motorcycle engines don't last as long as car engines.

Asian bike owners know better.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
most people think it's brand new and it runs flawlessly.
I get this a lot too.

People can't believe my '03 is 8 years old.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Haven't much thought about it. Would I sink $1000 in a 10 year old wing? Yeh, I would. better than making payments on a new one. I am not even disturbed by the fact that my forks are on the bench with one leaking seal. Figure it is just maintenance at 95k.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Have changed bikes at about 100k five times now; yes they do go a lot further with the next owner but for me that is the time. The 86 Wing had 132k on it and I loved that bike, but ran into a deal on a 97 Wing. To save some money I always buy used and from a known owner around town. These guys just do not ride much, so I grab it and put on 100k. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
mileage / trading

Me too, being retired, I buy used. I bought a used 93 with 118K and ran it to 167K, bought for 5500, sold for 5500, bought an 01 2 yrs ago with 39K, it now has 92K, paid 10,500. Not thinking of selling or trading unless I saw a great deal on a couple yr old wing with remaining warranty.
Warranty for me is tranny or adg insurance. Everything else, I'll fix myself.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Sold my perfectly good 91 1500 with only 25K on the clock for my 02 with 150K on the clock last year. I rolled over 160K this weekend. Three weekends ago it went down the drag strip four times. It got me a spare final drive in the garage waiting for cooler weather. I already robbed the rear brakes and caliper off of it. Once I replace the right switch assembly (reverse button left me stranded once, 28 degrees outside, that was enough, and cruise button is stuck on). I should be good to go for the next 100K...

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
No mileage limit here. I basically trade whenever the urge hits me and it tends to hit often! :yes1:

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No mileage limit here. I basically trade whenever the urge hits me and it tends to hit often! :yes1:
Me to except when I seen the new 2012 Goldwing, then the urge went away, real fast.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts