GL1800Riders Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should the dust covers be really hard to take off? I am using a pick, but I am just tearing through the existing dust cover. They aren't budging at all. How hard should I have to pull to get them out? Or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They don't come off. They're part of the bearing.
Well that would explain it, then. Thought they would be like the All Balls bearings that I bought. So, my new dust covers will just magically stay in the hole since they aren't made onto the bearing?

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
The seals for the front wheel bearings are seperate parts for sure. The left and right sides are different. I use a seal puller to remove them, but a large flat bade screw driver should pry them out.

prs

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
Well that would explain it, then. Thought they would be like the All Balls bearings that I bought. So, my new dust covers will just magically stay in the hole since they aren't made onto the bearing?
OH, you're talking about that rubber ring around the hole. I thought you were talking about the rubber that was "inside the bearing" like on your new All Balls. I was scratching my heading wondering why you were trying to take out that seal. :oops:

Yeah, like PR said, just use a flat blade screw driver and pry them out. They should pop right out.

As far as removing the old bearings, once you have your bearing "puller" installed on the first bearing, instead of killing yourself sliding that hammer and trying to get the bearing out, just take a ratchet extension from the opposite side and use a rubber mallet and pound out the bearing. MUCH easier and if the pulling tool is seating correctly, the old bearing should pop right out.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH, you're talking about that rubber ring around the holeI thought you were talking about the rubber that was "inside the bearing" like on your new All Balls. I was scratching my heading wondering why you were trying to take out that seal. :oops:

Yeah, like PR said, just use a flat blade screw driver and prying them out. They should pop right out.

As far as removing the old bearings, once you have your bearing "puller" installed on the first bearing, instead of killing yourself sliding that hammer and trying to get the bearing out, just take a ratchet extension from the opposite side and use a rubber mallet and pound out the bearing. MUCH easier and if the pulling tool is seating correctly, the old bearing should pop right out.
Great thanks for the tips........sounds like a fun saturday morning in store.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Front Well seal

I Kebo35

Go to see this page

FlyBoy2121:thumbup:

Should the dust covers be really hard to take off? I am using a pick, but I am just tearing through the existing dust cover. They aren't budging at all. How hard should I have to pull to get them out? Or am I doing something wrong?

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
exactly why do you want to remove them ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
exactly why do you want to remove them ?
Replacing the wheel bearings because one of them is ticking. Did it yesterday and everything is great now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.