GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently pulled my wheels to clean, sand and Everclear them. Front was in decent shape but the back was bad. After many hours of wetsanding, I got them back to pretty good shape. I tried to be careful, but with all the water, I'm a little worried about my wheel bearings. My question is, could I have damaged the wheel bearings and how could I check them to make sure they're allright?

Thanks

·
Registered
538 Posts
Probably not... but to be safe and sure... clean the bearings with kerosene, make sure they are perfectly dry (if you have an air compresser, use it to blow all the remaining kerosene out plus any debri that may have crept into the bearings) and re-pack. Make sure the grease oozes out at all balls and races. You my want to consider purchasing an inexpensive bearing packer at your local parts house or tool store. The one I use has an air fitting and the air pressure forces the grease into the bearing for a perfect pack. Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Be careful using air prssure to dry bearings. You want to make sure that the air does not spin the bearing. There is no grease after you have cleaned them and spinning them is metal on metal.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
wat

Did I hit the wrong key and end up on the wrong web site? The front wheel has a sealed set of bearings that your not going to clean w/o taking them out (a job all by itself), and the rear doesn't have a bearing in the wheel.:shrug: What kind of bike do you have?

·
Banned
11,396 Posts
I recently pulled my wheels to clean, sand and Everclear them. Front was in decent shape but the back was bad. After many hours of wetsanding, I got them back to pretty good shape. I tried to be careful, but with all the water, I'm a little worried about my wheel bearings. My question is, could I have damaged the wheel bearings and how could I check them to make sure they're allright?

Thanks
Lou.As said the front bearings are sealed on the outside.They are double bearings and only the outer bearings has a seal on it.You have two bearings and a spacer/sleeve in the middle that stops the other two bearings from moving toward the center.
The problem is.You can't get the water out,(Unless you drowned the poor things) unless you disassemble at least two of the four bearings.

Because the Spacer isn't as round in OD as each bearing is,and if water got behind it,then it will just have to evaporate.

Yes you can try and use air to blow out what you can,But again unless you drowned the poor things,I wouldn't worry about it.

There is also no way to re-grease these bearings.without removing them,and why go through that trouble unless you are replacing them?.

Stock bearings on Left.
All Balls Double sealed on the Right.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First of all, I will admit I am not what anyone would consider a good wrench. To quote Clint "A man has got to know his limitations". However, I'm learning everyday. Remember, there is no dumb or stupid question, only the question unasked. To those who responded with clear constructive assistance, thank you. Rocky, Paul, Wingd1800, and kampingguru, thanks. We are all here to further our enjoyment of motorcycling, whether it's thru riding or wrenching or both. I have learned a tremendous amount about my bike from this site. However, Richard Clem or Richard Head, you're response was asinine, so I believe the latter is more appropriate. Obviously, you must have been born a master wrench and have never had a learning curve. Have you ever had a question about something you weren't sure of? I guess not. At 56 years of age, I can't wait to grow up and be perfect like you. It seems you have a reading disability, or you're just an egotistical jackass. Read it again. Where does my original statement say anything about rear wheel bearings? Where did I say anything about cleaning wheel bearings? What kind of bike do I have? Looks like you missed the bottom of my sig line, I guess 2002 Stream Silver wasn't clear enough for you. I guess I needed to put in GL1800. Just remember, "Reading is fundamental". I empathize. You have missed the point. We are all here to try to help one another. It's all about the ride.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
My apoligies

First, off I wasn't referring to your question, as much as I was to the posts that directly preceeded mine. I have no problem with anyone asking any kind of question here. I do have some issues with people responding to questions that might not know the correct answer. I did go back and reread your post, and in the first sentence you talked about "wheels" and then "bearings" I didn't read it that you were back to just the front when you continued. Rocky's response was complete and accurate. I'm glad that you have your answer. I thought the other responses that didn't mention sealed bearings were furthering the problem and not helping you.

I honestly wasn't trying to give you a hard time. The question about what kind of bike you have was rhetorical, but not meant to belittle you. I do, however have a problem with what I would consider an over the top response. Talking like that from behind a keyboard is way too easy. I would suggest that the next time you feel that some one has mistreated you that badly that maybe a pm and asking for clarification would be a better approach. In fact, except for the Richard Head comment, that is how I would have responded to your tantrum.

Richard Clem

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Richard Clem , you're response was asinine, .
How 'bout givin' Richard a break? I would have said the same thing. I know about the 'sealed bearings' but never knew that there was an 'unsealed bearing' also. :eek:
thecruiser

1 - 9 of 9 Posts