GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished removing, cleaning, repacking and reinstalling the front wheel bearings. Bike has 41K on it and no they did not have to be done. Getting the bearings out was a task. The flat tip punch and or the concrete anchor bolt just didn't work for me. I bought a "blind hole bearing puller" from Harbor Freight. I ended up using the bearing clamp portion of the puller and tapping the bearings out from the opposite side. When I removed the bearings a plastic spacer fell out between each pair of bearings. I have no idea as to the purpose of the spacer and the OEM parts fiche doesn't show it either. I reinstalled the spacers with the bearings any way. My question is does anyone know the purpose of these plastic spacers.

Wayne

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
The OEM bearings are sold as a pair, the plastic holds them together. Most times when you order bearings from a bearing supply house, you will get four seperate bearings, no plastic connector.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I could be wrong but, I considered removing my bearings and thought they were supposed to be replaced with new ones due to all the banging that is done to remove them.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The OEM bearings are sold as a pair, the plastic holds them together. Most times when you order bearings from a bearing supply house, you will get four seperate bearings, no plastic connector.
That answers the part quantities on the OEM parts fiche. Thanks larry.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could be wrong but, I considered removing my bearings and thought they were supposed to be replaced with new ones due to all the banging that is done to remove them.
I was as carefull as can be to get them out. No indication of damage after thorough cleaning. I made a home made press to install them that worked just fine. The decision to replace or not is up to the individual. I bought a bearing kit from DLP just in case last week during their sale.

Wayne

·
Registered
444 Posts
I was as carefull as can be to get them out. No indication of damage after thorough cleaning. I made a home made press to install them that worked just fine. The decision to replace or not is up to the individual. I bought a bearing kit from DLP just in case last week during their sale.

Wayne
Wayne,

I'm not trying to chastize you here, but please let us know if you have any problems with the re-used bearings.

The reason I ask is that I have always assumed that the races would be dented by the balls since you can only pull on the inner race, but the outer race is what's pressed into the wheel. This means that the axial force required to pull the bearing has to be transferred across the ball. The theory makes perfect sense to me so I've conformed and never re-used them once pulled, but I'd like to hear if yours hold up for you.

·
Vendor
18,413 Posts
Tip - never reuse a bearing that has been pressed off (pounded off) or on (pounded on) unless when pressed the force is being applied to the race holding it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Never reuse a ball bearing if the inner race was in anyway used to remove the bearing... The balls will be damaged and are far more likely to fail as a result... It's not like there is another front wheel to support you went this one fails... Bearings are not expensive enough to warrant the risk of reuse...

·
Registered
556 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts

Wayne
That is why a lot of us do our own maintenance. We know what has been done and repaired to our own comfort level. I hope it works out for you. I am no mechanic and do not have the long term experience to say either way.
i wish you luck with the repair.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I rode the bike today for 35 miles. All the time I was thinking "what If" one of those bearings decided to come apart at 60 mph. When I got home I replaced all 4 bearings and seals with new ones. I think I will sleep better tonight.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am just asking.
My original intent was to repack which i have done for years on auto wheel bearings. The factory bearings are open faced on one side. Each pair are installed with the open face sides facing each other. They were easy to clean and repack once you got them out.

Wayne

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Honda makes a Tool for removing the bearings. I think I found the part number in the Service Manual. Was not all that expensive, and I got my local dealer to order it for me.

Agree with those above. I would never reinstall bearings that have been beaten out. Even using the factory tools.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Never reuse a ball bearing if the inner race was in anyway used to remove the bearing... The balls will be damaged and are far more likely to fail as a result... It's not like there is another front wheel to support you went this one fails... Bearings are not expensive enough to warrant the risk of reuse...
Ed, good post in regards to not re-use the bearing. But the balls won't be damaged unless you really put some force on them (a lot of force). The balls of the bearing have a pretty darn high Rockwell hardness rating. What does happen is the bearing race (the sidewall if you will) of the bearing gets distorted, and allows for lateral slop in the bearing race which rapidly accelerates wear and imparts a vibrational oscillation in the bearing, leading to early failure.
I used to do vibrational sound analysis on submarines, we could tell when an emergency repair required a bearing to be reused. Unless a bearing comes out fairly easily, you risk damage. And if comes out too easily, either from the shaft or the mount, then you risk mounting being too loose which allows the inner or outer race to rotate versus the balls, which generates a lot of heat and scores the shaft or the outer mount.

End result, usually when you pull a bearing, replace with a new one.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I rode the bike today for 35 miles. All the time I was thinking "what If" one of those bearings decided to come apart at 60 mph. When I got home I replaced all 4 bearings and seals with new ones. I think I will sleep better tonight.

Wayne
Wise choice to replace if i went to the trouble to take them out i would always replace them with new.

·
Registered
21,092 Posts
you can actually grease the stock Honda bearings without removing them, just lift up the grease seal and use one of those needle things for the end of a grease gun hose, when done just put the grease seal back in place :thumbup:

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
They are really inexpensive and readily available at auto parts stores. I do not believe they are designed to be re-packed and that the OE grease should last the life of the bearing.

I found a rough bearing on the left side at a tire change at about 50,000 miles as I recall. If a bearing fails during a ride it will either gall the axle (new axle required) or gall the wheel where the brearing's outer race is seated (new wheel required) or more likey, both. So, any roughness at all should prompt a whole new set of 4.

That plastic spacer is a seal/connecter that creats a Siameese twin bearing out of two regular bearings, it seals them from outside invasion, but allows any contamination from one bearing to invade the other. I really thinks Honda screwed-up the designers' intent with that arrangement. The intent probably was to have a redundancy to allow the bike to get back to civilization if one bearing failed out in the boondocks, but the OE bearings almost assure that one bearing failing will very quickly result in the other failing as well. I recommend using two individual bearings in each side.

prs

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I removed and repacked my bearings at 75k and now have 96k on them with some hard riding this last summer. I don't fear a problem. I might replace at 150k. bb

·
Registered
345 Posts
I just finished removing, cleaning, repacking and reinstalling the front wheel bearings. Bike has 41K on it and no they did not have to be done. Getting the bearings out was a task. The flat tip punch and or the concrete anchor bolt just didn't work for me. I bought a "blind hole bearing puller" from Harbor Freight. I ended up using the bearing clamp portion of the puller and tapping the bearings out from the opposite side. When I removed the bearings a plastic spacer fell out between each pair of bearings. I have no idea as to the purpose of the spacer and the OEM parts fiche doesn't show it either. I reinstalled the spacers with the bearings any way. My question is does anyone know the purpose of these plastic spacers.

Wayne
If you want to all that effort to pull them, you should have replaced them...! Its too easy to damage a bearing and you will not know about it for some time...then when it shows up...you going to have to do this job all over again.

( old saying ) IF IT AIN'T BUSTED....DON'T FIX IT...!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts