GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be able to trailer my 2013 Wing . I have a 6.5 X 10 aluminum Trophy trailer. I'm looking for recommendations as to what I should get for a wheel chock and anything else I may need.

Also any advice on how to strap it down and where to put the straps on the bike etc. would be most helpful.

Thanks.......

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
The Condor chock is the first one that comes to mind. You really can't go wrong with that.

Lower the rear suspension and keep the gearbox in neutral. A minimum of 4 straps are recommended to tow your Wing. Do not use the engine guards nor the saddlebag guards as attachment points for the tie down straps. Remove the side panels and stow them in the towing vehicle. Using a soft tie wrap it around the main frame of the bike on both sides and connect them to 2 rear anchoring points of the trailer. For the front, use soft ties around the triple tree and connect them to forward anchoring points. Do not compress the front forks fully, just enough. Just be sure that you haven't wrapped the soft ties around any rubber hoses coming from your handlebars.

In case you are not familiar with soft ties they are the ones that look like a figure 8 and are made of webbing material available at bike shops. You'll need a minimum of 4 soft ties.

Do not use tie downs that you pull and release a locking mechanism. Instead use the ratcheting types with a strength of 500 to 1000 lbs making sure 2 or more tuns of the webbing is around the coiling spool, then fold it closed when you've achieved the correct tightness.

Every time you stop check the tightness of the tie downs, they will loosen up.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Believe it or not, I have pulled both bikes in an enclosed trailer using a Condor chock as the only thing holding each bike. They did have straps to the rear saddle bag guards coming forward to "encourage" the bikes to stay in the chock, but the chock was the only thing holding the bikes. They traveled 4,300 miles like this without a problem. The bikes do move some like this, but it was never an issue.

I have done this with an open trailer, but once the front tire got wet from rain and did slip in a slow curve and the bike went over on it's engine guards... no damage other than that to my ego. Additional minimal straps to "encourage" the bike to stay upright did the trick.

The point being, a Condor chock will hold the bike. I now think it's a good idea to place a few straps to keep the bike from wiggling around too much, but you do not have to place them so tight as to rely on the straps to hold the bike, the chock will do the work. Let the straps just keep the bike from dancing around too much in case you have to do some fancy maneuvering suddenly.

You will see some examples of people who strap the bike down like it's going for a ride in the Space Shuttle... nothing wrong with that, but it is a bit overkill.

·
Registered
721 Posts
wheel chock

I have a 6" X 10" enclosed trailer and when I bought it I had them put a wheel chock in the nose of the trailer and heavy duty tie downs in the floor. The chock is one that is set in the floor, the lid acts as a bike stop and when not in use you just drop the lid down and it smooth w/the floor. It works great...

·
Registered
285 Posts

Not trying to start an argument here but what is your reasoning for leaving the bike in neutral ??? I have never left a bike I was hauling in neutral unless on accident. Using the transmission as a brake just keeps the bike from wanting to dance that much more. Other than that, I totally agree with the all your recommended strapping points. The first time I trailered my Wing I was like over kill with 6-8 straps :) these days I just use 4 quality straps with 4 soft ties.

I actually use a chock from Harbor Frieght for all my bikes. I think I paid $25 each for them. You just need to make sure to open the box and check to make sure the guy that welded it was not on crack that day.

http://t.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html#.Ux7sVjK9KSM

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
"Overkill" is not really a bad thing. I go on the idea that straps are a lot cheaper than body damage. Take a look at "WheelDock" chocks. Use the triple tree for the front straps(4) and access the frame under the side covers for the rears(2). I had a Condor chock and after a very bad experience with the product and VERY poor customer service I will not buy or recommend it.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
CONDOR!!!!! Clearly the best wheel chock out there!

Here's a photo of the Condor in my enclosed trailer;
(Click on photo for a larger picture)

IMG_0599.jpg

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I want to be able to trailer my 2013 Wing . I have a 6.5 X 10 aluminum Trophy trailer. I'm looking for recommendations as to what I should get for a wheel chock and anything else I may need.

Also any advice on how to strap it down and where to put the straps on the bike etc. would be most helpful.

Thanks.......
I use a Condor chock. If you buy one, be sure and spend the extra $20.00 + or - and get the lock-down plate that can be bolted to the deck of the trailer. The chock then becomes removeable to prevent theft and the chock can then be placed loose on your garage floor and used to park the bike upright if you wish.

If you want to risk bending/breaking the chock or front wheel bearing damage, bending your bike's rim, or the axle, you might get away with no tie down's or minumum tension on the tie down's. I always use double soft ties over the triple tree and compress the shocks around 30% to help keep the bike from dancing up and down on rough roads. Same for the rear, remove the side panels and double soft ties over the frame to compress the rear around 10%. See post #10 below by chrisE for a pic of what I mean.

Be especially careful with speed on some of the high speed exit ramps, especially those that then have tight radii. With a 900 lb. bike, and a center of gravity that high, it would be possible to tip the whole trailer over.

happy trails....ering

gramps

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I am from the overkill side of tie downs on a bike. I use the Harbor Freight chocks, and tie the tripple tree to the chock. Then I use the engine guards and the rear crash bars to help stabilize the bike so it can't move. I don't tie straight down, but out and forward or back. If the crash bars can take a crash, then they can take some modest pressure from the straps, I have never had a problem, bent or broken a crash bar, but again, I use several straps. I would rather take an extra 10 minutes to tie the bike down, than take the chance of it moving into the other bike or off the trailer.

I have seen a friends bike tied down with just four of those 1" cheap straps have the straps break when the trailer went over a big (really big) bump. Bike went over, into the next bike and two new Glides were damaged. All for the want of a better strap, and a couple extra ones.

I also tie the front wheel directly to the chock, and the rear wheel back to the trailer. again...overkill? yes, but it is my time to use, and my bike to protect.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I have free standing Baxley chocks for my sports bikes. I like the Condor Chock and agree with GrandpaWinger, get the mount plate.

I would not transport a bike in a chock only. I strap my wing down like this, a couple of clicks of tension on each strap is all it needs.

I ride the bike, engine running, into the chock and hit the kill switch. I've never taken it out of gear, the bikes not going anywhere. To get it out, I use reverse to help lift the front wheel up and out of the rear chock plate.

·
Registered
351 Posts
J&S Jacks

I have a J&S Jacks wheel chock made in Wisconsin by the way. jsjacks.com The only problem would be if you have a fender extension the cradle would hit the extension. I can drive the bike into the chock and it will stand by itself while I strap the bike down.

·
Registered
446 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Like Drangonslayer, I have used the Harbor Freight one with much success. Ride the bike into the chock and the chock holds the bike up until you can strap it down.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have a 6" X 10" enclosed trailer and when I bought it I had them put a wheel chock in the nose of the trailer and heavy duty tie downs in the floor. The chock is one that is set in the floor, the lid acts as a bike stop and when not in use you just drop the lid down and it smooth w/the floor. It works great...
I have the same setup in my toy hauler....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts