1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
172 Posts
It looks like it costs almost what my craftsman lift did.(89.00)
My lift is plenty solid for the Wing and I use it for oil changes and washes to reach the rear wheel too.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
John Garner said:
which would allow me to clean the front wheel, therefore not require a bike jack.
I put my bike on the center stand and place a small 1 ton auto jack from WallyWorld ($14.95) under the front of the engine. A couple of pumps and the front wheel is off the ground.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I can move my front tire while the bike is on the centerstand.I clean about 2/3 of the wheel,then rotate it to get to the other 1/3.

My Craftsman lift went TU after only being used twice.

·
Registered
126 Posts
With the bike on the center stand, I find it relatively easy to rotate the the front wheel as required for cleaning. Try it.

2,732 Posts
You can do it even cheaper

An real easy way to lift the front wheel off the ground is to cut a 2x4 stud at just the right length. Set it partly under the front engine casing with a lean so that when you push down on the back of the bike, the 2x4 tilts upright under the engine casing and presto....the front wheel is about 1/2 inch off the ground until you want to get on the bike and "push off" the center stand and the 2x4. I even painted mine yellow to match the Canyon Dancer!!! (also so that I don't accidently throw it away thinking it's a wood scrap from one of my projects). This makes it so much easier to wash and polish the front wheel. Cost = about 10 cents (nothing if you are near a construction project) 8)

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Unless I am just jumping on the bike to run to the store I check my tires before every ride. With the bike on the centerstand I straddle the front tire and jack the bike backwards with my butt under the headlight.
This also is an easy way to locate the tire where you want it for cleaning or checking air pressure.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Put a small scissor jack under the front end with a small block of plywood on the belly pan, jack the front wheel just off the ground and spin and polish till your hearts content!!!

·
Registered
232 Posts
John ,
That straddling the front tire with a butt by the headlight might not be a pretty picture. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

When my bike is on the center stand, i can usually just grab the front
tire , near the bottom/floor , and spin it by pulling upwards on it . (basically turning it backwards) this i how i get the valve stem in a position to check the air.
As noted earlier , if all you want to do is spin the tire easily , a sissors jack under the front of the engine while on the center stand will lift the front tire enough to spin it freely .
The big benefit of the motorcycle jack , is that it lifts the bike up anywhwere from 16-24 inches off of the floor , (depending on which jack you buy ) making it a lot easier to work on the wheels.
The sears jack will lift about 18" i think , and many times it is on sale for around $89.00 ,( i thought i have even seen it for $79.00 )
Joe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts