GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to remember someone on this board starting a thread about best wheel cleaner so if this is a repeat, I'm sorry. I just used the Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish on them then realized that maybe I shouldn't. Is there any harm in this? What is the best way to get the brake dust/dirt off the aluminum wheels?

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
PG,

I like to blow the dust off with compressed air after each ride. Then I take a "Dry" rag, and wipe as much of the junk off as I can. Then I wash the wheel with soap & water, dry them or let them dry. Then I hit it with the BOM.

If you do this on a regular (PITA) basis, your wheels can look like they are almost chromed.

Gary, of Gary & Mikey, has the cleanest rear wheel that I have ever seen.

Bulldog

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Honda Spray Polish & Cleaner is an excellent choice. I have found that it will even remove built up brake dust with a Scotch pad and some elbow grease. Best of all it is only $5 or so and available at any Honda mcy dealer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish periodically.
After a ride I just use Honda cleaner polish.
I think there are a lot of products that do a good job, but
I live in 10-$-2, and these are available locally.

:rat: Bake

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I use Mutha's too ! LOL..............Keep them clean and don't neglect them or you will really have a big job later. Don't ask me how I know this ! LOL

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm with Bulldog. Bomsaway does what it claims. It's the best aluminum wheel cleaner I've ever used. A bit expense but goes a LONG way.

Requires very little effort if any to apply and wipe clean. Your wheels will look almost chromed. I guarentee you will not be disappoinetd. The first time I used it I was totally amazed at the finish it left.

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Alcoa make a aluminum wheel care kit for truckers. It can be purchased on line. The last step is a sealer that prevents the surface oxidation. We have been using it on our bikes for some time and it works as advertised.

·
Registered
360 Posts
BOM

BOM is the best I've ever used... Not expensive when you consider how little it takes to do a wheel. Fast, easy and they look great when your done.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
PG,try Honda Bright. I put the bike on centerstand. Then spray on Honda Bright, then hose it off. This works well because you can get up into the hollow side of the spokes on the brake side.After the wheel is dry I use BOM on the wheels. I like BOM because it polishes great, but it also has a protectant in it that makes the wheels stay looking good longer than useing just a polish like Mothers . It is also easer to use than Mothers.
Honda spray cleaner polish is really ment to be a touchup proudct. It doesent have the lasting quality of a good wax.
**** :) :yw1:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts