GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked in the Owners Manual and done a search of this sub- forum and found nothing. I have almost 4,000 miles on our 2018 GW DCT Tour. The wheels are pretty dirty and car wash soap is not touching them. What is everybody using to clean their wheels?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have looked in the Owners Manual and done a search of this sub- forum and found nothing. I have almost 4,000 miles on our 2018 GW DCT Tour. The wheels are pretty dirty and car wash soap is not touching them. What is everybody using to clean their wheels?
Simple Green seems to work well for me. Not harsh enough to hurt anything either.

·
Registered
506 Posts
That’s what I use. About every third or fourth ride I spray them down with simple green and then hose them off with spotless water.

Reactions: Harley Rider

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Simple Green suggestions. I will give it a shot. It is a lot less expensive than wheel cleaner.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Some folks dilute their simple green but I use it at full strength.

Reactions: Harley Rider

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Don't ever use Simple Green to clean your glasses. I learned that the hard way while at work when looking for something to clean my glasses thinking Simple Green would be like Windex. Simple Green will hase up the lenses.....just throwing that out there so nobody will ruin a 350 dollar pair of glasses like I did....as for cleaning the wheels, I've had great results using dish soap and have found the wheels clean easy....these wheels on the 2018 are a nice upgrade over the wheels on my old wing...I don't know why it took Honda 17 years to put wheels like this on the Gold Wing.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
Give BAR KEEPER'S FRIEND soft cleaners a try... YES< that's the true name of it...Found in Home Depots....

cleans porcelain, stainless steel, I used it on my wheels , because of a recommendation like mine on another site .... WOW does it work, my rims are spotless now....and then wax rims every once in a while, and you'll be amazed...........IT WORKS!!!

Ronnie

·
Registered
807 Posts
Lots of the stuff mentioned above will work well. But the problem is a lot of folks want to spray it on then wipe it right off. Let it soak in 3 or 4 minutes then hit it with the hose or a cleaning rag.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I like the ArmorAll Wheel & Tire Cleaner

I have used this product for several years on my Truck and Motorcycles. Cuts the brake dust and road tar pretty well and leaves the wheels bright and clean. I use it every time I wash any of my rides

·
Registered
471 Posts
I tried Simple Green and Meguirs Hot Rims Wheel and Tire Cleaner, and many others over the years.
But I still had to scrub an awful lot to get the grim off.

So I searched Consumer Reports for their choice, and discovered the top rated wheel cleaner was Eagle One Aluminum Wheel Cleaner.
The Eagle One works great.
It melts the grim, and requires only a light scrubbing to get everything off. Very happy to find a great product that works well.

IMG_7738 (Medium).JPG

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I tried Simple Green and Meguirs Hot Rims Wheel and Tire Cleaner, and many others over the years.
But I still had to scrub an awful lot to get the grim off.

So I searched Consumer Reports for their choice, and discovered the top rated wheel cleaner was Eagle One Aluminum Wheel Cleaner.
The Eagle One works great.
It melts the grim, and requires only a light scrubbing to get everything off. Very happy to find a great product that works well.

View attachment 365078
Yep,
Thats the same one I use. I do have some Bar Keepers that I may try when the Eagle 1 runs out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I asked this question about the rear wheel when I first got mine. I was looking for gimmicks and tricks. Clearly there is no magic trick to cleaning these wheels. The end result for me was put the bike on the center stand, run the engine with it in gear. I am using Griots wheel cleaner solution and a "BikeBrush" while the wheel turns (looks like a very large bottle brush). A small electric pressure washer removes the loosened grunge. AND yes I have to do this on my side on the ground. AND yes the ABS light comes on but clears quickly after riding it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts