GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had experience with using a clear enamel on new wheels? I have been told that the later years went to magnesium and are prone to corrosion

·
Registered
246 Posts
Nope. But, i do clean mine once in awhile and put a coat of wax on them. No problems yet.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
01 and up are raw aluminum and yes they corrode easily as they are not coated with anything to stop it. Polishing them and sealing with wax is the cheap way to keep them looking half way decent for a month or two. Powder coating is a good alternative and chrome is the best and most expensive fix.

·
Registered
171 Posts
clear enamel

I tried the clear enamel from Menard's. If you're a perfectionist, I wouldn't recommend it. It DOES seal the wheel and seems to protect the aluminum from corrosion. It is very easy to run the enamel, but a good man on a fast horse will never notice. The enamel scratches very easily with just your finger nail. It reduces the shine somewhat. I don't regret doing it, but I'm looking for something better. For me it stopped the corrosion until such time I can afford to get my wheels polished and powder coated.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The most common coating found on Wing wheels is ......Road Grime! :joke:

If you want to clear coat them I suggest you find a shop that can do it with the two-component polyurethane clear coat. It's chemically hardened and will be clear, hard enough to resist scratching and will have UV additives to keep it from turning yellow.
Also...if the bike is not new....special care needs to be taken to clean/prep the aluminum for the clear coat. I've seen some wheels shed their clear coat like a snake skin. :lol:

If you want to clear coat the wheels it would make sense to get the m looking good first.
And if you do that.... you may not even go the final step of coating them.
Sanding, buffing,polishing and waxing the wheel will make the surface look almost like chrone, and it will be smooth enough that grime doesn't accumulate as much as it does on the OEM surface. It will still get dirty....just not as fast.
It will be a lot less prone to oxidation as the polished surface is more "sealed" than the rough OEM surface......and of course....the wax helps just about everything. :lol:

And one more comment..... if you clear coat them....even if it's with the hardened coating...... you have to be extra careful not to chip the coating when changing tires.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts