GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was my 1st opportunity to Remove the Rear Wheel from my bike (GL1800). So, as is my practice, I tried to do it using my tool kit which I always carry on the bike... so as to ensure that I could do it again someday, roadside.

Problem: The little 6" ratchet wrench I used was just Too Small, to break torque on the nuts.
(Had to switch to a 18" ratchet from the home tool box)

So then, for those of you who carry tools, What do you use on-the-road for this task?... I hate to devote the cargo space, to carry a 12" length of Pipe (to make my 'lil ol ratchet work)

:shrug:

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have a 1/2 breaker bar - don't remember the length - normal size, extension and 19 mm 6 point socket. Takes up very little space and will work better than a ratchet IMO. YMMV, ride safe and enjoy the ride.

Crabby Bob

·
Registered
792 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have the exact same one and use a 19mm deep 1/2" drive "IMPACT socket with it.
ALSO:: The Extendable ratchet can be used if you are ever in a questionable parking spot , that your wing is sitting too upright!! just adjust it to the length that will fit on the right side of the wing up into the crash bar where the tubes form a triangle and putting it there will ensure it will not get bumped or tipped over.. :surprise:

·
Registered
5,766 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Do the job right. Carry a torque wrench. Very simple, slim and works both ways--on & off.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have a 1/2 breaker bar - don't remember the length - normal size, extension and 19 mm 6 point socket. Takes up very little space and will work better than a ratchet IMO. YMMV, ride safe and enjoy the ride.
Crabby Bob

This is exactly what I carry along. The breaker bar lays in the side saddle bag right at the edge where the hinge is. Don't even notice it's there. And the 6 point socket is in the tool bag.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The 3/8” extendable racket from Harbor freight works just fine for me. I can torque the lug nuts and then easily break them loose with this one. The added benefit is also that it comes in a combination 3/8” and 1/4” drive, so it is the only ratchet I carry...

YMMV!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Kinda curious what you envisage you might do with it once you have removed it on the side of the road?
If its a puncture a stop and go kit is all you need. Ride on.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Kinda curious what you envisage you might do with it once you have removed it on the side of the road?
Indeed, on a road trip or somewhere in the middle of nowhere why would you need to remove the tire? If it came to that, I carry a cell phone and credit card, AMA roadside assistance for the rest. I do carry a plug kit, compressor etc... hopefully a simple flat I could fix... you don't need to remove the tire.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Agree. It depends on where in the world you are traveling, but the major determinant of tools to carry along are the repairs you must be able to perform on the roadside. I can't imagine ever needing to remove my rear wheel roadside in America. Carry a tire plugging kit and 12v compressor or CO2 cartridges and leave the big tools at home.

·
Registered
7,565 Posts
It's been a long long time, but I've been involved in helping a stranded biker take a wheel to town to get it repaired, and taking them back so they could re-install it.

Certainly not an option I would hope for, but sometimes it might be 'best available' option.

(The bike, the trailer and the co-rider were left on side of road to wait.)

OTOH, the one time we lost a tire on one of the wings, we got it trailered to a dealer (non -Honda) to get it replaced. Fortunately they stocked tires to fit the common touring bikes that often passed thru the area. I don't know if it's still true, but at the time there were no other dealers of any brand anywhere near by.

Thanks again Peak Motorsports - Alamosa CO.
https://www.peakmotorsportsonline.com/index.htm

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
I use a small section of PVC that fits over my existing ratchet handle and acts as a cheater bar. It weighs almost nothing and takes up very little space.

I would NOT recommend the Stop and Go kit. I've had several of their plugs fail on me and spit out of the tire. If you're going to plug a tire, use a good quality sticky rope kit.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have something like this. It has the rope.

It came with a fitting that attaches to the valve stem and has small CO2 bottles to re-inflate the tyre.

I did buy some more CO2 cylinders as I don't carry a compressor.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Lots of good suggestions.

Don't over tighten lug nuts
on any vehicle, which may
help when taking them off.

·
Vendor
22,070 Posts
I have something like this. It has the rope.

It came with a fitting that attaches to the valve stem and has small CO2 bottles to re-inflate the tyre.

I did buy some more CO2 cylinders as I don't carry a compressor.

I was referring to the old StopNGo mushroom plug kit. I did not know they now sell a string type plug repair kit. I'm sure that will work fine. Just stay away from the old mushroom type StopNGo plug kits.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

I can imaging being broken down, with my bike un-ridable, yet still being able to hitch a ride (with my removed-flat-tire) to town and back.

Yes, I carry All the various types of tire repair kits too... So here I'm just planning for the worst case scenario.

Reactions: revrunt
1 - 20 of 45 Posts