GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a product from a board member here 2-3 yrs ago that worked great ! It called for generous portions of "elbow grease" to apply, messy as heck - but, left a "mirror-like" shine & lasted for a month -or- 2 !

Several days ago I left a message on his website asking the price of the product shown, but not priced, on his website. After a couple days passed, I called his phone # - left a message - no return call as of this writing. Even tho' his website's up - I'm assuming his biz has gone under...

I have automotive waxes that I use - that do a nice job - but, just don't leave the "sparkle" like this product did.

My Q : what wheel cleaner product have you had good luck with ?

thanks - Dave / Missourahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

·
Registered
468 Posts
I use Blue Magic metal polish, applying it with the small Powerball and use a microfibre cloth to polish with. The wheels come up very nice this way. A coat of Turtle Wax helps to keep them looking good.
Cliff.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I use this stuff called "Flitz" got it on ebay. Recomended from Sunnbob over on the naked wing site. I used it after polishing my GL1100's valve and timing covers and now IU use it on the 1800's rims works good but as you said, needs elbow grease and rubber glove because your hand will be black when you're done if you don't.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've used Flitz before..... that's very similar to what I'd been using & may just go back to Flitz.... I wear rubber gloves as the oxidation process that cleans the metal does make for black hands & a towell -or- 2 that's ready for the dumpster.

Thanks - I'd forotten about Flitz !

·
Registered
19,440 Posts
Look to ya Mudder

Mothers Aluminum polish

·
Registered
21,129 Posts
i have used lots of different brands of wheel polish and they all work, believe it or not if u want a little extra shine go over the wheel with 800 grit wet sandpaper, then the wheel polish

currently using Bush wheel polish, its available at Pilot truckstops, about $16, and it works great, a bottle lasts me 3-4 years

the best wheel polish i ever used is the Honda stuff that comes in a small tube for about $5, it is made for Honda by S100, S100 makes a lot of cleaning products and every one i have tried worked great, S100 makes products for Harley so next time i need some wheel polish i am going to try some from a Harley dealer, a Harley dealer about 100 miles from here has 20% off on the stuff every Saturday so that will make for a nice ride :thumbup:

·
Registered
814 Posts
+1

I used to use Flitz, until I found Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish.

Mothers is the best!

:agree:

I drove the Wing to Cycle Gear the other day and a couple of the guys working there commented on my wheels - thought that I had them chromed. I told them I use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish and a lot of elbow grease and Maguires wax.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
To my surprise, after trying Mothers and one other brand I can't remember, I got a tube of the Honda metal polish and it works extremely well.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Try Bombs Away from www.captainrichardsbest.com. A liquid that will bring your aluminum to a chrome like finish with little effort. It also contains a wax so the shine will last longer.
:agree: Very little effort to having the best looking wheels around.

We have a similar product here in FL called BLING. Twice as much per bottle for the price of BOM.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
There is "Cleaning Wheels" and there is "Polishing Wheels"
Neither is much fun with the Wheel on the Bike, when you are an old fat man.

And the big problem is, that Aluminum starts to Oxidize the minute you quit polishing on it.

Cleaning - Bartenders Helper form the Grocery Store works well, with a little Scotchbrite if they are really nasty.

Polishing - Mothers is about as good as any. Flitz is also good.

Myself, I sprung for chrome wheels. Wash & Wax.
(Hope I don't regret it after some of the post I have read about them flaking)

·
Registered
2016 f6b
508 Posts
Try white diamond,its a polish and wax combined.They sell it at advanced auto stores.Works good and dosen't require much elbow grease.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No siree Bob, er, Bulldog...... getting lotsa good tips here !

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bulldog....... I'm lousy w/my NY geography...... I've stared out the windows @ JFK numerous times & delivered a plane to Oleans - that's the extent of my NY "georgraphy."

You anywhere near Buffalo ? I rec'd a letter overnite from a fellow NY-PGR member that I met @ Antietam a few yrs ago on a PGR mission returning a Civil War Vet to Saratoga Nat'l Cemetery -from- Antietam. The email's pretty "special" & the "event" happened during the early morning hours of today.

If you'd like to see it - email me @ [email protected] & I'll forward it to ya !

Dave

1 - 20 of 25 Posts