GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was cleaning my wheels on my new 2020 DCT tour, and happen to notice that there are no balance weights on either front or back rims.....? I feel like that there should be at least one weight per wheel, or am i wrong?
There isnt any way that the tires and rims are perfectly balanced and in no need of a weight right. I took ownership of the bike right out of the crate, no other test riders.
Any one else notice this on your new wing? Is there something that i am missing, maybe a specific location that the weight would be instead of what i would consider the "normal " position on the rim. Spun both wheels multiple times looking and never saw a weight.
What are your thoughts, do i need to check with the dealer or have them pull the wheels and check balance?
Jimmy in Texarkana,USA

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
Sometimes the need for weight is practically nil. Dealer will charge you big time to remove, check balance, and reinstall both tires. It would be less expensive to purchase a few tools, static balance stand, weights, and Fred's video access to DIY. You will probably need a new rear tire within 10,000 miles and a new front within 15,000. If it does not give you bad vibes, let it slide until then.

prs

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bike is smooth as glass, no vibrations or shakes, so I guess i wont worry about it. I have purchased Freds DIY videos. Also, looking at purchasing the Centrimatic wheel balancers. Still on the fence about them, but have plenty of time to research and think about it as bike is brand new with having put only 500 miles on her.
Thanks for the replys.
Jimmy in Texarkana

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
Quite a few new motorcycles normally come without weights. Maybe they have a way to match the tire to the wheel to get balance, or they have come to the conclusion balance is not all that critical. Either way, it works out fine.

·
Premium Member
1,396 Posts
This, of course, a GOLD WING! It just needs to be RIDEN! Go RIDE NO WORRIES!

·
Registered
6,745 Posts
With my old wing, I had the front wheel balance out a few times needing no weights...it happens...as long as the bike rides smooth, there is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
486 Posts
One of my very first purchases were the centramatic wheel balancer. I had less than 500 miles on the bike when I put them on. The bike was smooth as silk and I it didn't have any weights on them either. I've changed and balanced my own tires for 15 years or so. Not a terrible job but not the most pleasant either. Especially when you could have been riding.
As we all know Improper balance and tire pressure are the #1 killer of tires other than abuse. Cupping of the tires feeds on itself. Once it starts the ride quality diminishes exponentially. My 2012 had a E3 on the front that had started to cup. I put the centramatic on and the ride was smoother but over time the cupping actually diminished. They had 15,000 when I sold the bike with probable another 5,000 left before they needed to be replaced.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I went through a few sets of tires on my 06 wing and noticed cupping on the Bridgestone tires. I found balancing beads and the next set of tires had less cupping and lasted longer. I was sold from then on and use them whenever I replace tires.

·
Vendor
16,326 Posts
I was cleaning my wheels on my new 2020 DCT tour, and happen to notice that there are no balance weights on either front or back rims.....? I feel like that there should be at least one weight per wheel, or am i wrong?
There isnt any way that the tires and rims are perfectly balanced and in no need of a weight right. I took ownership of the bike right out of the crate, no other test riders.
Any one else notice this on your new wing? Is there something that i am missing, maybe a specific location that the weight would be instead of what i would consider the "normal " position on the rim. Spun both wheels multiple times looking and never saw a weight.
What are your thoughts, do i need to check with the dealer or have them pull the wheels and check balance?
Jimmy in Texarkana,USA
Of coarse I'd be suspicious too. From once being in the automotive/Lt truck tire business, and if a customer came in for new tires, and if one or some required no weight to balance them, I would alert the customer so that he knew too. That way he wouldn't have to wonder later.

However, in your case, if indeed it came that way from Honda, you can count on their QC, and if none were needed, none were needed. To verify that it came that way, inspect the wheel for any evidence of there once being a weight. If non-found, and no noticeable vibration or unusual cupping is seen, keep riding and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
This very question has been here a couple times before. There was a suggestion that tire manufactures send the best balanced tires to the manufacturers increasing the odds of being very close to balanced when mounted. I have gone through enough bike tires over the years and there has been at least one case where I got one that came up -000- on the machine fresh from being mounted.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I wonder what Honda's out of balance tolerance is. I would guess it is fairly large as a lot of Goldwings seem to come from the factory with no wheel weighs, mine included. As I've posted before on this very same subject, I've balanced my own motorcycle wheels/tires for decades and only once have I ever had a wheel that didn't need any weight once the tire was mounted, and that's with me always first finding the heavy spot on the bare rim and matching it to the light spot on the tire.

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
I wonder what Honda's out of balance tolerance is. I would guess it is fairly large as a lot of Goldwings seem to come from the factory with no wheel weighs, mine included. As I've posted before on this very same subject, I've balanced my own motorcycle wheels/tires for decades and only once have I ever had a wheel that didn't need any weight once the tire was mounted, and that's with me always first finding the heavy spot on the bare rim and matching it to the light spot on the tire.
Balance weight limit is 60 grams for front wheel/tire assembly and 70 grams rear wheel/tire assembly. Half of weight over 10 grams should be devided between left/right sides of the rim.

prs

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
I did not see a spec for at what point a minor out of balance condition should be ignored, but my personal out of balance tolerance is less than 2.5 grams which is 1/2 of the typical stick on weight square. I do not mind cutting one in half, but trimming more than that may be folly.

prs

·
Registered
159 Posts
I just had my rear tire replaced at local Honda dealer and they put 5 weights/5g each total 25g all on one side. To their credit, they put them as close to the center of the rim as possible. However when I mounted the wheel, they were rubbing on the parking brake caliber. I moved them down to the flat of the rim and as seems well. See picture.
But should I put 2 1/2 of them on the left side? Tire has 500 miles.
Thanks.

IMG_3346.JPG

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
Yes. When over 10 grams Honda recommends half on each side.

prs

·
Registered
196 Posts
My son and I both race, so I seriously go through a lot of tires. Good sportbike motorcycle tires are almost perfect these days, and any weight needed is often because of the rim. I would expect good Wing tires to be about the same. If I needed 10 or more grams as discussed above, I'd return the tire.

·
Registered
16,623 Posts
My son and I both race, so I seriously go through a lot of tires. Good sportbike motorcycle tires are almost perfect these days, and any weight needed is often because of the rim. I would expect good Wing tires to be about the same. If I needed 10 or more grams as discussed above, I'd return the tire.
10 grams is not much, about a third of an ounce. Goldwing tires are really thick, stiff, and heavy as MC tires go. I have done two rear and one front changes so far on the 2018 and DANG IT I forgot to balance the naked wheel with TPMS, The TPMS is psretty bulky. I did so check two rear rims for the 2002 and both needed the same 1/8oz weight to achieve balance without tire.

prs

1 - 20 of 21 Posts