GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a link/source on getting clip-on wheel weights for balancing MC tires. Or does everyone use the stick on type.

Any info or websites appreciated.

I picked up a HF tire changer for $83.00 today and thought I start changing my own tires from now on and save the $50.00 per tire the dealer charges.

Thanks in advance. 8)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Your best bet is ebay for stick on weights.
The Honda mag weights are available through Honda but are VERY pricey for what you get... over $5.00 each retail.

K&L Supply also has them but they only sell to dealers or shops. A bag of 10 is @ $50.00

·
Registered
373 Posts
I bought the Harbor Freight balancer too Actually got it mounted in my garage last week. Do you have a balancer yet. I bought the one on the URL below. This guy also sells stick pn weights. Dont need tires right yet but Im ready. Around here Im saving more that 50 bucks most shops around here are 100 - 200 dollars a set more that they can be bought online. And most shops here wont mount tires you bought somewhere else.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcyc ... enameZWDVW

·
Registered
582 Posts
At first, I wanted the clip on weights for balancing. Got a few from the dealer and found out that sometimes the weight needs to be where the spoke is, in order to get it balanced right, so I use stick on weights. I use a marcparnes balancer, it is very easy to use, and IMHO does a better job than the bubble balancer used by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
For a homemade balancer, check out my pics and description at:

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... highlight=

I've since improved it by using a 3/4" threaded rod and two coupler nuts that have a taper turned on one end. It eliminated the run-out issue.

For clip-on weights, I inexpensively purchased a bunch of used ones from my local dealer while I was purchasing some other parts.

Tim

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the responses, I guess I'll be going with the stick on weights due to the high cost of the clip on weights. 8)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I hate the stick on wieghts. I have had to go back to me dealer twice because they dont prep the wheel first before putting them on. Then when they do need to be put in a different place, the sticky part that is left is a pain in the butt to get off. Go with the factory wieghts if you care about the looks of your wheel.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I got the exact OEM clip on weights from my local Kawasaki/Suzuki dealer in the service department.

·
Registered
17,053 Posts
I have used the stick ons, they do leave stubborn adhesive behind to clean and polish off. I have used sheet lead cut to needed weight and applied with auto trim cement, similar to contact cement, works great and if not in a spoke are you can even shape it across the center rib. I then purchased a set of about two each of each size of OE types and do not toss them after use, but keep them for future use, works fine. IF you are nuts :a13: like me, then you balance the naked rim and mark it for actual heavy or light spots and then rebalance the unseated but mounted tire to find its exact heavy or light spot and then sliip the unseated tire around th rim to match those spots 180 reciprocally. As nutty as that sounds, since having done so I have always since ither needed either NO wheel weights or only one of the smallest sizes to achieve excellent balance.. Even Max; who goes to great lengths to decrease unsprung weight, says my approach is folly, but it suits me. :yes: :yes:

prs

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
clean the rim with alcohol and use stick ons. Get realistic, its tranportation, a machine, use it for what it is. If stick weight look bad on it, then u must ride on sunny days only! LOL kidding. Never had any issue with stickies.

S

·
0 Posts
Works great for me, and you can't see them at all , cause you put them right inside the tire ... :yes:

Motorcycles ride s-m-o-o-t-h with these beads

You simply won't believe the ride...

Glass smooth ride, every time, all the time.
Dramatically longer tire life
No rebalancing
No spoke or rim weights
Eliminates tire cupping.
Easy to install
Your motorcycle dealer won't want to do it the old way once he's tried these Beads!

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Strider said:
Works great for me, and you can't see them at all , cause you put them right inside the tire ... :yes:

Motorcycles ride s-m-o-o-t-h with these beads

You simply won't believe the ride...

Glass smooth ride, every time, all the time.
Dramatically longer tire life
No rebalancing
No spoke or rim weights
Eliminates tire cupping.
Easy to install
Your motorcycle dealer won't want to do it the old way once he's tried these Beads!

I've been looking into the beads. so far everyone who has used them swears by them. Got some info on the beads from the VTX forum.

Interesting concept to say the least.8)

·
Registered
638 Posts
If you look at Marc Parnes web site you'll see that he sells stick on weights for $2 per strip of 7.

As for removal of the stick on weights just buy some adhesive release. You can find it in the flooring dept. of any home center. It will remove any adhesive without damaging the surface. To remove the weights you can apply some of it with a Q-tip to the edges of the weight. Let it soak in for a while then pry the weight off. Use the adhesive release to clean off any adhesive left on the wheel.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Wheel weights come in many forms and do the same exact job if installed correctly.

I prefer the OEM style type. They are unobtrusive and made for the bike.

In some instances, one does not have a choice but to use the stick ons, my least favorite. However the Chrome weights do look OK, other than that, they are not that handsome.

Cost: The Honda OEM weights can run up to $8 + per weight no matter the 10, 20, 30 gram size.

I sell them on my site for $4.50 each. Trust me I ain't getting rich on this one.

I hear tell on the board that the weights are so expensive. Let's look at this. You use 1 or 2 weights on a change. Honda says not to use more than 60 grams of weight on a wheel. You change a tire normally once or twice a season. The OEM style weights are reusable. How in the world is this considered to be expensive?

Let's see here $19,000 for a bike, $2 - $3K for add ons, $9 - $8 for weights for the life of the bike. Yup I can see where some Goldwingers would think that the weights are expensive.

Bulldog

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Strider,

I neither wear nor require glasses. But if you are of a different opinion, I can accept that! Even if you approve or disapprove of my mine.

Bulldog

S

·
0 Posts
I totally agree with you Bulldog my humble apologize...

I didn't realize what the OEM weights looked like til I put my glasses on, I stand corrected... WOW :shock: :shock:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts