GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a crusty substance on my wheels that looks like oxide. I was wondering what is the best way to remove this stuff. I know that these wheels are coated so this may be a problem.

Thanks
Sonney

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I always used SOS pads.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Year bike would go a long ways to solution.

The early years are not coated. Aluminum polishing products such as posted above then Mothers Aluminum Wheel polish.
Later models have a clear coat on them.

Barney

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Year bike would go a long ways to solution.

The early years are not coated. Aluminum polishing products such as posted above then Mothers Aluminum Wheel polish.
Later models have a clear coat on them.

Barney
he's in the 2012 forum, so ass-u-me ing he's a 2012-2017.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Consider having them powdercoated. During the process, they will blast them clean and then do the powder coating. It makes it a breeze to clean them from now on. I just use lemon pledge and a rag.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Consider having them powdercoated. During the process, they will blast them clean and then do the powder coating. It makes it a breeze to clean them from now on. I just use lemon pledge and a rag.
How does that Powder Coat stand up to multiple tire dismounts and mounts?

Reactions: biglefti

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
How does that Powder Coat stand up to multiple tire dismounts and mounts?

It depends on the quality of the powdercoat job and the tire installers. Like everything else, if the tire installers dont use the proper care, it can scratch but I have had several tires on mine through the years and the finish is still excellent.

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
The ONLY way to keep those aluminum rims clean is to “clean” them after every ride...... my 2002 rims looked brand new when I traded it in......

Constant “light work” or once in a while “intensely hard work”

LOL

You choose..

Mattbcnv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts