GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put this extra, very bright brake light (Whelen Linear 3) in the space where the reflector fits above my license plate.
How do I access the wiring to either rear brake light? It’s a tour model with the trunk and I hope I don’t have to disassemble the trunk for access?
I have a factory service manual on order but have not received it yet.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I do not wire anything directly into my canbus wiring that is not plug and play or hooked up to my Show Chrome Isolation Fuse block .

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You take the risk of destroying your rear brake/tail lights by tapping into the wiring like the old bikes. Those lights are VERY expensive too.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
You take the risk of destroying your rear brake/tail lights by tapping into the wiring like the old bikes. Those lights are VERY expensive too.
and the computer that control them is expensive too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. I better think about this some more before I start tapping into brake light circuits. ?

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I better think about this some more before I start tapping into brake light circuits. ?
I'm planning on adding the same unit. I plan to use a Show Chrome fuse block to complete the installation. This will isolate the unit from the Canbus and tap directly into the battery power.

Reactions: laen

·
Registered
116 Posts
I added the Show Chrome Isolation Fuse Block, and wired the ADMORE light bar in for extra brake and turn signal. Installation went pretty easily and results were great. Also used the fuse block to wire in a 12V cigarette lighter style socket(always on) and the show chrome cowl corner lights. All working as planned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm planning on adding the same unit. I plan to use a Show Chrome fuse block to complete the installation. This will isolate the unit from the Canbus and tap directly into the battery power.
I installed this same brake light on two of my other bikes and I simply tapped into the brake light wire and grounded the Whelen to the frame. The brake light wire was the only power source for mine?

Reactions: saafrican

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
The 2018+ bikes are NOT like your other bikes! We all did the same wiring of accessories as you on our previous bikes. Not anymore . . .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 2018+ bikes are NOT like your other bikes! We all did the same wiring of accessories as you on our previous bikes. Not anymore . . .
Yes you guys have convinced me. I ordered the Show Chrome fuse block today! Thanks for the advice.
I have the light mounted on the mud flap and the wires ready to hook up. I got a good Tupperware lesson on the trunk disassembly and reassembly. :rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts