GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is looking at buying an older model Goldwing and he asked me when did Goldwing change from carbs to fuel injection. I told him I thought it was when they came out with the 1500 cc model. What year did they go to fuel injection.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
In 2001 with the gl1800. As said in a prior post, some 1200s had fuel injection. All 1500s were carbs.

·
Registered
502 Posts
The 1500s was never fuel in injected that started in 2001 with the 1800s

·
Registered
5,861 Posts
Honda first tried fuel injection on the Goldwing in 1985 with the Limited Edition model only. And then again in 1986 with the SEI both were GL1200 models. The other Gl1200 models had the carburetors.
For whatever reason they dropped fuel injection until the GL1800 came out in 2001.

If Honda had put Fuel injection on a GL1500, I'd still own mine.
:agree:

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Honda first tried fuel injection on the Goldwing in 1985 with the Limited Edition model only. And then again in 1986 with the SEI both were GL1200 models. The other Gl1200 models had the carburetors.
For whatever reason they dropped fuel injection until the GL1800 came out in 2001.

Absolutely spot on ,, I bough three of the 86 SEi's Over 100,000. on each one. and if I could find another one with low miles would buy it too. I hated my the 1500 though,, got rid of it in less than a month and bought my third 86 Si

·
Registered
2,605 Posts

I had both an '86 Aspencade (carbs) and a SEI (injected). Those early injected models had problems and is probably why the 1500 was carbureted.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Never had a bit of problem with my 86s,,, The first one I rode out to Flagstaff Arizona pulling my first travel lite camper .. I put over 160,000 miles on that beast in a tad over 24 months and only had to replace the charging harness

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Dang thats some more long distance riding average out to 210 miles a day. You the man I ride a lot but couldn't do that much

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Being single helped a lot.. I did not have to work any over time or part time back then paid cash for my toys. Rode my bike to work every day.. and rode every day off. went to every Blue knight convention,,Americade ,, you name it I rode to it.. AHHH the good ole days

·
Registered
7,797 Posts

100% Correct :agree:

I also agree with your last statement. Fuel injection on the 1500s would have made a great bike into a fantastic bike! (Even with the cassette player ;))

·
Registered
500 Posts
Though the 1500 isn't FI injected, from what I understand the air input is adjusted by a ECM which make for very responsive bike. On my 99 GL1500 it is very hard to tell that it is not FI, it idles and responds with no fuel lag like you get from most carburetors. IMHO

·
Registered
500 Posts
There was no ECM on any 1500.No need for it with carb's.

The best years for the 1500 were 97-2000. Because they are the only years that had Valk engine parts in them, which made the bike so smooth yet robust when the wrist got out of control.

I kept hoping that some aftermarket company would devise a bolt on FI throttle body computer kit at a reasonable cost. But I waited long enough before I switched to a 1800 after riding a friends.

Like yours-My 2000 didn't have any lag either. A dang fine well built problem free machine it was.

To me the 1800 only has ABS & FI to it's credit. The 1800 has had more problems by itself, Than all the other goldwings combined. Not a very nice track record in my opinion.
I know this second hand only, I've been told the GL1500 carbs. perform so well because there's some kind of mechanism or ECM that monitor and adjust air flow into the carbs. to meet the riding conditions.

·
Registered
502 Posts
1500s did not have ECMs since they control fuel, air and timing mixtures. Carbs regulate there own fuel & air mixture internally so there is no ECMs on any 1500s I had one so I know.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I know this second hand only, I've been told the GL1500 carbs. perform so well because there's some kind of mechanism or ECM that monitor and adjust air flow into the carbs. to meet the riding conditions.
1500 had 2 carbs instead of one per cylinder as the 100, 1100, 1200 had. Made it easier to sync them up and keep them synched up.

sei and the other 1200 fi did have issues and it is now hard to find the controller parts for it. It did have an electric controller for the fi to work sinceit wasnt mechanical like te 57 chevys were, they ran off the camshaft for fi timing. Worked on a bunch of them.

·
Registered
994 Posts
There was no ECM on any 1500.No need for it with carb's.

The best years for the 1500 were 97-2000. Because they are the only years that had Valk engine parts in them, which made the bike so smooth yet robust when the wrist got out of control.

I kept hoping that some aftermarket company would devise a bolt on FI throttle body computer kit at a reasonable cost. But I waited long enough before I switched to a 1800 after riding a friends.

Like yours-My 2000 didn't have any lag either. A dang fine well built problem free machine it was.

To me the 1800 only has ABS & FI to it's credit. The 1800 has had more problems by itself, Than all the other goldwings combined. Not a very nice track record in my opinion.
So true!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts