GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I called Metzler the other day to find out what the tread depth was on their new tires and was told the front is 7/32 and rear 9/32. I currently have (2mm) 3 1/2 /32 on my front and (4mm) 4 1/2 /32 on my rear. I have 8,800 mi on these tires. The rear has a nice flat spot on it.

Metzler said to start seriously thinking of replacing the tires at 2mm or 3/32. Just curious when you all replace your tires??. I am not trying to squeak every last bit of tread out of these tires, my LIFE is more important!!! BTW, I ride one up 90 percent of the time and don't tow a trailer YET....Thanks, Brian

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
when do you change your tires

Regardless of mileage, I install new winter tires on my wing (replacing both front & rear) around mid October. The reason for this is, no matter what tread depth is left on the summer tires,(not even getting near having a "flat spot") it will not be sufficient to be able to ride in any amount of snow come winter.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pearlblue, approx how many miles do you get out of your tires before replacing them? Good idea though what you're doing.

·
Banned
1,477 Posts
when do you change your tires

I get around 18,000-19,000k's on summer D250's.
The winter tires are "Canadian Winter Rated" D 250's. you will see on the side wall "cdn *** Rated" These have a much more aggressive tread, with a softer compound for ice/snow.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Check your tires and see where he wear bars are on the tread. Remember that as you get towards the end of a tires life the tread will wear down faster and it's not impossible to go out on a day trip or for the weekend with tires that look okay and by the time you get home you are looking at bare tires (or worse).

Another point that is critical is never go on a longer trip with tires that you feel will need to be changed right after you get back. Put new tires on before the long trip, not after. Getting tires on the road during a vacation or a long trip is a royal pain and inevitably far more expensive than if you do it back home under your own time frame. It can literally ruin a trip or vacation, and if you have a tire problem while riding it could be far worse.

If you are asking questions about if your tire is still good to ride on, then go ahead and change them now. The mileage lost isn't worth the worry or the potential inconvenience, and bottom line we are not talking about that much money anyway.

DaleC

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Dale's first paragraph above is an understatement! The tres go from look'n pretty good to Raggetty Ann cords very quickly, especially the rear. I get about 8-10 thousand out of a set if I ride them to teh very end. However, "new tire euphorea" is so wonderful that I am tempted to change them out every 6 thousand -- but not that tempted :wink: . I go pretty much by the wear bars and try to have spare rubber in stock. I agree with fresh rubber mounted prior to any long trip - unlees of course, you are visiting Bull Dog or some other world class installer along the way.

I was unaware of the snow tires. I will pass on that and just drive the truck in the snow.

prs

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
When there'd not a firm "distinctive" distance to the wear bars.. I normally get 12-14k outt'a the Metzlers.. Replace them as a set...

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
2mm is usually my limit. I ride around short rides with that but would not go on a trip or head into wet weather with less than that. I've reached that limit at 8500 to 13000 miles, depending on how hard I ride. As I get older and wiser and cheaper, I find myself riding less aggressively but taking longer rides. Other tire conditions obviously have to be considered, such as cupping, other unusual wear patterns, sidewall damage, etc.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
What is your life worth as to tread life? For me it isn't worth the few extra miles to chance it. What if you get caught in a down pour with almost worn out tires? Your choice, but it is always wise to be on the conservative when it comes to tire life.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
because of the problem finding tires I had to run my rear 250 a little longer than I would have liked. It went from worn to horrible overnight. As has been said they really do go to hell in a hurry at the end. New Metzlers now.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Tire Wear

My first two sets of tires were dunlop 205's. They lasted about 10,000 miles each. The front wore out first on both sets.

My third set and current tires are avon venom's, at 5500 miles the back is cupped real bad, but the front still looks like new.

I run 38 psi in the front and 41 psi in the rear

·
Registered
148 Posts
i have 21000 miles on my front stone and i just ordered a new one. the rear stone has 16000. still looks good. my first front stone was the 202 oem and it went to 12000 miles.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
I usually change tires when they start looking bald. I waited too long for this last front tire change. I almost never change them both at the same time.

My question is: where do you measure the tread depth? The middle wears out faster. Do you measure right in the middle or more toward the outside?

·
Registered
559 Posts
You could have bought a new set from Hal this week for $200 bucks what is your life worth? :money1:

I will try to get the most out of my tires. But if I know I'm going on an extended trip I change them out before I go. I think I have aroung 12-14K on my metzlers now, they still have alot of life in them. :flg:

·
Registered
17,091 Posts
Rastoff said:
My question is: where do you measure the tread depth? The middle wears out faster. Do you measure right in the middle or more toward the outside?
Measure where ever the tread has worn most shallow. If that is the center for you, thn there. If you wear the sides of the tread area more quickly, then at those areas. If the left has worn more then the right, then at the left. I tennd to get more wear at about one third the way out from the center of the tread on my wing. The VTX tends to wear more about the center.

prs

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone. I actually did order a set of Metzlers from Hal during the sale, they should be here today. 2mm is what Metzler said to replace at to be safe especially riding in the rain. So that being said, it looks like i'll be replaceing my tires soon.

Rastoff, measuring at the lowest point in the tire seems right to me that's how I measured last time. I was wondering myself where the best place to measure is.

I agree with others here that our lives are more important then worrying about squeezing every last drop out of our tires. Thanks again, Brian

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Pigeon Roost said:
Rastoff said:
Measure where ever the tread has worn most shallow. If that is the center for you, thn there. If you wear the sides of the tread area more quickly, then at those areas. If the left has worn more then the right, then at the left. I tennd to get more wear at about one third the way out from the center of the tread on my wing. The VTX tends to wear more about the center.

prs
Exactly!
The sides of my tires wear faster than the middle. Once the wear bars start showing on the sides, I'll ride less agressive until I get a fresh hoop.
On the sides I don't mind going to the wear bars, but if it were the middle of the tire, I would consider getting a new hoop before it actually got to the wear bar.

·
Registered
768 Posts
It's more a question of "is the wobble becoming too annoying" than there isn't enough tread left on the tire.

Mike
03ILB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts