GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to replace my tires. What is the general rule of thumb replacing the stems? Every time you mount new tires, every other time, take a good look at them and replace as needed ? :shrug: What are you doing

·
Registered
748 Posts
I NEVER had valve stem problems until my first Gl1500 with the 90 degree valve stems. Then...from time to time I developed leaks due to bad stems.

Anyway, I finally learned my lesson and started changing stems every tire change, until I discovered the metal bolt on stems a few years ago. Now...I just do a visual inspection looking for cracked rubber seals, and to make sure the nuts are still tight.

There are several flavor of metal valve stems, but I like the ones from Patchboy.com. You need the .453 hole size.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have all valve stems changed
with all tire replacements
on all vehicles.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Do it often...

Getting ready to replace my tires. What is the general rule of thumb replacing the stems? Every time you mount new tires, every other time, take a good look at them and replace as needed ? :shrug: What are you doing
True story:

Last year, we had a 2000 Yamaha Venture that we rode on our annual one week trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Before leaving on our trip I examined the front tire and decided it was good to go. A couple of days later on the parkway I looked at the tire again and did not like what I saw.

So I called a trike dealer I know back home and ask him to order an Avon for the front and we would stop in on our return home (~13 miles from the house) and get the new rubber installed (instead of riding home and pulling the wheel myself).

On the 350-mile ride home, the Venture's odometer incremented to 103,000. Beginning about 35 miles from the trike dealer we were on super-slab type highway and traveling about 70 mph. We arrived at the dealer and while the tire was being replaced, I took a trike out for a test ride.

When I returned, the dealer owner walked up to me and said, "You won't believe this," and handed me a valve stem. I looked at the valve stem, then looked at him with a puzzled look because I did not see anything wrong with it. He took the valve stem back and without any effort removed the brass tube from the rubber molded around it!

He told me that he was getting ready to remove the valve core from the stem and heard air escaping. He grabbed the brass tube to check the air source and the tube just pulled out!

I'll never know how close we were to disaster, but with air leaking from the valve stem, it must have been close. :eek:4:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
At the first tire change I went with all metal 90deg stems from Patchboy.com. Honda stems are junk and cost way too much for changing every tire change. The all metal bolt on ones are good for years and cost less than $2 each.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If using the OEM tire valves, change them with every tire change. Otherwise, get a set from Patchboy.com and be done with it

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I change them on my car every tire change, I have only changed then once on a bike and that was my 02 Wing. When you do car tires they always change them but seems bike shops never ask. I changed them with my 2nd set of tires on my 02 and will probably change every other tire change on my 08. You have to remember that valve stems on a car are there a lot longer than on a bike, you might get 70,000 miles on car tires and only 15 to 20,000 miles on a bike tire.

·
Registered
477 Posts
At the first tire change I went with all metal 90deg stems from Patchboy.com. Honda stems are junk and cost way too much for changing every tire change. The all metal bolt on ones are good for years and cost less than $2 each.
Do the patchboy stems require that you modify the rim? I suspect you have to file down the stub that the plastic clip attaches to. Am I correct? Thanks.

·
Grumpy Fart
5,109 Posts
Do the patchboy stems require that you modify the rim? I suspect you have to file down the stub that the plastic clip attaches to. Am I correct? Thanks.
You are correct.

Also, you can mount the front one pointing right if you like, but the rear must point left or you'll pick it off with the rear caliper.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
2 stems from patchboy.com are $7 each unless you can ride to their storefront. Or, maybe they offer a discount on shipping if you call them and only order two.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts

·
Registered
1,787 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I did not grind the stub off when I put the Patchboys on.

·
Registered
330 Posts
We believe that a tire is not new unless the valve stem is changed too. Its easily done while changing the tire and well worth the money in view of the possible consequences. Do have some buddies that use the bolt type and they change them every other tire change.

Safe riding

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
The right angle valve stems on this bike will flex, and eventually will crack at the edge of the hole in the rim as you can see happened here.

One easily solution is to put a zip tie on the holder so that the stems can't move.

The 2009 bikes now have a whole new type of valve stem that is part of the tire pressure sensors, and it is a much better design, and shouldn't suffer from this problem.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I replace every change and with short straight rubber , never liked the angled ones seem to leak more also, or strsight metal are excellent but a lot of shops don't have the metal ones

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
What is the proper torque setting on those two nuts? It looks like if they're not tight enough you would loose air and if they were too tight, the rubber would be smashed???????????
The washers are neoprene and a harder than rubber. I use silicone grease on each side and then Locktite on the bolt threads. I tighten the first nut until stem won't turn easily, then lock the second nut on by using two small open end wrenches. They have been through two tire changes each and no problems.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts