GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The following is a e-mail I received this morning. Interesting since I have never used ebay for anything, buy,sell, well you get the idea. You have to love the way it starts off------Dear Sir or Madam, PLEASE! You would think that if I had an account that just perhaps they could identify me with something other than Sir or Madam.

Dear Sir or Madam,

eBay Account Management regrets to inform you that your eBay account has been suspended due to credit card verification problems. Your credit card failed to authorize and as a result, your account has been flagged. All further transactions with your account will be denied until this flag is removed.

Please take a moment to confirm your account by going to the following address: eBay.com

If the link doesn't work by some reason use an alternative link here - www2.ebay.com and fill in credit card data as well as ebay username and password right in the contact form.

Trully your, eBay account management team.

P.S. If you have any questions or feel that this message has been delivered to you by a mistake please send your complaints to these emails: [email protected] , [email protected], [email protected]

If you urgently need some help regarding this message you may call here:
+1.415-665-6387 OR send fax to +1.415-665-7168

The message was sent by ShadowCrew.com mail system in favour to eBay.com.

[/b]

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
It will stop only when stupid people stop responding to them. A lot like the people who repsond to the Nigerian money scams.

By the way, shouldn't this be on the "off-topic" board?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Looks like a scam Gary & Mikey. I sure wouldn't give any type of information out, but you probably already know that. Was the "ebay.com" address in the body text a link? If so, when you point to it, where did your browser say it was really addressed to?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No doubt it belongs on the off topic board, but since there is considerably more traffic on the general board, and since I know that there are a number of ebay users on this board, I wanted to try and inform as many as possible. Someone that uses ebay just might jump to one of the links before they think it through. Wasn't aware that I'd be called out for trying to help, sorry.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Here we go again.."Off Topic Board" :evil: i don't go there much and would have missed this informative post.......THANKS FOR THE INFO.....

bruce aka "the blue trawler"

:blw1:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Chill, mrgl02, we're all friends here. Gary or Mikey was only trying to help their online friends avoid having a brain fart and you were one of the ones on that list. One of the thing I like about this board is it is a lot more friendly than some of the super structured boards, if you feel it's important to most, you can post a heads up on the main board to direct attention to other areas of the site as needed. Sorry, but I don't think you'll have a lot of support in chastising G & M for posting in the wrong spot. :lol:

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Well, I guess it is "flame me" day. That's fine, because I stand behind my comments.

I can remember on the old board, when the general board became nothing but a "frame and overheating" talkfest, instead of it going to the tech board And many people became upset, because they didn't want to be pounded over the head with the frame and overheat issue, on what was the general board.

Just a reminder to everyone to think where you post, before you post.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Do not reply or answer the email you got.
It's a ruse to get you to supply the thieves with your personal and credit information. They have actually have webpages (the links supplied) that look like the real thing. Ebay, Amazon and the like will never contact you in this manner about this.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Mrgl02

no harm no foul. You're technically correct, but....

we'll leave it there

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i want to confess that even though i have been an ebay sellar for almost 8 years, i did fall for one of these exact same emails a while back.

i had about 100 items for sale and were going to close in a day or so. they stated that if i didnt verify my info that they would cancel all my auctions. i had a lot of bids and was sucked in--it looked very official.

anyhow the auctions closed, i made a bunch of $$ and the next week i went away for 4 days. someone lited abour 40 computers ona buy it now for about $ 1200 a piece and sold them all.

before i got home ebay had cancelled the auctions, took th efees off my account which was like $ 1200, and it was all taken care of.

being a silver and sometimes gold power seller really helped me get answers and learn a valuable lesson.

dont answer any email ebay questions

EBAY WILL NEVER ASK FOR PASSWORDS

and of course i have gotten at least a dozen more like that since

also a couple were sent trying to get my paypal info.

loren

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Never, ever, never respond to any email that asks you to verify any information on you, your account numbers, passwords, personal data, etc. etc. etc., it won't ever happen from any legitimate business or online service. Don't give it over the phone either.

DaleC

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Thanks

I for one would like to thank you for the heads up ! (Gary&Mikey)
Something like that could and should be posted for all members of the board to see as a lot of members do not frequent the other boards. IMHO
Bottom line is this ! HEY ! THANKS FOR THINKING OF US ALL ! :yes2:

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
Thanks for the good info. Sorry that you got busted by the "off topic board" police.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks...

Thanks for the info Gary & Mikey. I have also been getting a lot of E-mails that Norton is catching with subject of "test" or "hi". They all contain viruses. Glad I have Norton. Just remember that none of the upstanding websites will NEVER ask for credit info or paswords by E-mail..

Waiting for my citation from the board police. :roll:

:yw1:

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Off-Topic posts on the General MC board

mrgl02 said:
It will stop only when stupid people stop responding to them. A lot like the people who repsond to the Nigerian money scams.

By the way, shouldn't this be on the "off-topic" board?
mrgl1802-

Personally, I agree with you. At least they should have had the courtesy to state that it was an 'off topic' post in the Subject line when starting the topic.

Besides, the info posted is basic Internet 101 and is NOT new information.

Maybe we should have just one board and let people only read the posts they want.

Anyway, since I agree with your gentle reminder, I didn't want to see you getting flamed all by yourself, so I thought I would post something really aggravating and take some heat with you. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
The "Off Topic Board" rules. I check it
first. It is like having a captive audience
to gripe & moan to :p

Remember that song "Cruel to be Kind"?
I think that is all that "mrgl02" was doing.

Well, back to the off topic board :lol:

·
Registered
94 Posts
This morning on the Arkansas News they featured some guy who was trying to buy a big screen HD TV from E-Bay. He contacted the seller and tried to swing some kind of an under the table deal and ended up sending a thousand dollars to some PO Box in London. He thought he was slick until he discovered his grand had gone bye bye. There is one born every minute.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts