GL1800Riders Forums banner
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,944 Posts
Hopefully, I have a long time before I have to face that decision. When the time comes it'll be hotrods, convertibles, Slingshots, CanAms, or the like. Trikes are a no-go. Plenty of other choices to be had.
Unless you live in CA at the time. By then, Newsom's green/electric rules will all be in force. All those toys you mentioned will be waiting for their turn to be charged because there will be daily brown-outs, hahahha.
Scott

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
68 Posts
Depends on where I'm living or if I'm still RVing. If still RVing, most likely a RZR. Wife has wanted one for several years. If no longer RVing, probably a restomod. Might get back into competitive shooting, though I won't be competitive.
After selling RZRs for over 6 years, a word of advice.

DON'T DO IT.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I’ll just wait and see.…. It’s not on my list of worries yet. It won’t be off-roading of any kind. I’m done with a lifetime of that. I can honestly say it was fun…. But I’m done. My RV has been handed off to a kid and am very likely done doing that. I enjoy traveling lighter now.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Don't like to think about it, but I like old cars almost as much as I do riding. I have a few of them to keep me busy, along with SxS and ATVs. Hopefully that's a long time off for me, but I get a taste of it every year in our climate.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Sling shot or some type of little sports car. I really want to get into golf and fishing. I have a wood shop that I really tinkering in. I just have a house full of furniture and no room for anything else. I long for a friend to ask me to build them something.

It will probably be many years till I am done riding. At the end of riding season, I am ready to put it away. Two weeks after putting her into hibernation, I am ready to hit the road again. I start making new routes and plans for the following year. Going to North Carolina next year so plenty of roads to map out.

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,333 Posts
Last year at 78 I reached the conclusion that my Goldwing was just too much for me anymore, particularly when riding two up. I had become apprehensive about tipovers at every stop sign or red light, especially after two tipovers, one of which happened right in my garage when my foot slipped. But since my wife enjoys riding with me, I went the Can Am Spyder route rather than getting a lighter bike. FWIW, I love the Spyder, and the difference in how it turns is far more than offset by the comfort and stability of this ride, even more comfortable than was the Wing.

If and when I reach the point where the Spyder is too much to handle (although I am not sure how that could ever be the case) then my 2021 Mini Cooper convertible becomes the way to enjoy a ride in the great outdoors. We bought this fun little car for my wife, who had always wanted this particular car, but I drive it far more than she does.

When all of this comes to an end, as someday it might, I hope to have the fastest powered wheelchair available on the market. My mother didn't give up driving until she was 96, when she started to feel that her reaction time was getting too slow to safely drive where she lived in NYC. If I make it to that age, and I'm still driving, then I feel that I will have won the game.
I have to admit that I have always despised the idea of a trike or Can Am. Most of that is because I live in CA and I like to split lanes.

But as I get older I can see the appeal of these vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
9,392 Posts
I hated every second on the Spyder. Not for me.

I wasn't sure what I'd do until I saw the Tilting Motor Works conversion. I haven't ridden one but you still counter steer and lean and it will stay up by itself like a trike. I was thinking that was the ticket. I'm not so sure now after totaling my 2006. I sat on the 2017 a couple times since. I can just about bend my left leg now to shift. But I get flashbacks more and more. I might try for a ride Sunday. 😳. Gotta get back on the horse.

If I don't ride at all I don't know what I'll do. Maybe some sort of car... I'm not in to sports cars but there is a 1970 Coupe DeVille I've been drooling over for a few years now... Maybe something like that.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Now that the OP has stated “D-Day” is some time off in the future, for the benefit of you others wondering what activities might replace motorcycling when the time comes to hang up one’s riding boots. . . refer back to my Post #4.

I’ve been motorcycling for some 45-odd years and worked as a freelance writer reviewing new cars after I retired. I’ve test driven many dozens of new cars.

The one car that most closely emulates the feeling of response and immediacy of a motorcycle is the Mazda MX-5 (aka Miata). If you can fit in one, you must drive it. It is within financial reach of we mortals and they’re readily available.

The only other cars that are remotely similar to the MX-5 in lightness and the immediacy of handling that we so cherish in our motorcycles are the Arial Atom, Lotus Super 7 or Caterham 7 (Google them), and they’re as rare as hens’ teeth and you’d need the better part of a Ford F250 box load of cash to buy one.

Tim

·
Registered
2018 6-Speed
899 Posts
I have probably told this before, but by the time I hit the age of 70, my 2008 was feeling pretty heavy trying to horse it around. Traded her for a 2018 last year and now at 72, I feel like I can ride on for many more years as it feels So So much lighter. I know technically it's only 70 or so pounds lighter but it feels 200 pounds lighter to me. It is much easier to move around and I have not yet felt like I might drop it. Some of you might consider the new gen if you want to stay on 2 wheels a bit longer.
Longer term, I see a nice trike in my future when this one gets too heavy!

·
Registered
337 Posts
On my last couple classes to be a trainer of...
Joint Jeans Trousers Black Sharing

Then will be at every single senior apartments playing with widows and divorced women to begin with and hopefully a new forum will start to discuss technical issues on start up procedures to DCT temptations. Yep its going to be like riding a wing!!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I’ll be transitioning to lighter and lighter bikes as needed. I think I would be happy with an RT at my next step in downsizing. As previously stated… my 2018 was a noticeable step from my 2013.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I’ll be transitioning to lighter and lighter bikes as needed. I think I would be happy with an RT at my next step in downsizing. As previously stated… my 2018 was a noticeable step from my 2013.
I‘ve said this before, having come from a ‘14 BMW R1200RT to my current ‘19 DCT Tour - while the RT weighed in at only a ‘feathery’ 604 lbs fully fuelled vs the Wing’s (Canadian spec) 836 lbs, I often think the Wing feels more manageable and lighter at low speeds because its mass is lower than the BMW’s. The RT’s 25-litres of fuel is carried high up, whereas the majority of the Wing’s fuel is carried below the sadde.

Others may disagree.

Tim

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I‘ve said this before, having come from a ‘14 BMW R1200RT to my current ‘19 DCT Tour - while the RT weighed in at only a ‘feathery’ 604 lbs fully fuelled vs the Wing’s (Canadian spec) 836 lbs, I often think the Wing feels more manageable and lighter at low speeds because its mass is lower than the BMW’s. The RT’s 25-litres of fuel is carried high up, whereas the majority of the Wing’s fuel is carried below the sadde.

Others may disagree.

Tim
What’s your comparison on lifting each up on the service stand. ….. that’s my acid test. When I can no longer lift my bike on the center stand I will go lighter.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
What’s your comparison on lifting each up on the service stand. ….. that’s my acid test. When I can no longer lift my bike on the center stand I will go lighter.
Meh, getting a bike on the centre stand is 98-percent technique, 2-percent body weight.

To me, there’s no appreciable difference in getting either bike on the centre stand.

But remember this: even though the RT may be perhaps 230-odd pounds lighter fully fuelled than the Wing, the Honda has walking speed forward/reverse, an irreplaceable advantage for us elderly gits.

Tim

21 - 40 of 76 Posts