GL1800Riders Forums banner
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
What’s your comparison on lifting each up on the service stand. ….. that’s my acid test. When I can no longer lift my bike on the center stand I will go lighter.
T-88 is right. The RT is a much taller bike and even though lighter, moving it around the garage, it feels heavier. Both bikes become weightless once rolling. RT has a shorter wheelbase so, for me, whipping a U-turn is easier but the wing has reverse and walking mode for those tight spots.

Apples and Oranges……

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Now that the OP has stated “D-Day” is some time off in the future, for the benefit of you others wondering what activities might replace motorcycling when the time comes to hang up one’s riding boots. . . refer back to my Post #4.

I’ve been motorcycling for some 45-odd years and worked as a freelance writer reviewing new cars after I retired. I’ve test driven many dozens of new cars.

The one car that most closely emulates the feeling of response and immediacy of a motorcycle is the Mazda MX-5 (aka Miata). If you can fit in one, you must drive it. It is within financial reach of we mortals and they’re readily available.

The only other cars that are remotely similar to the MX-5 in lightness and the immediacy of handling that we so cherish in our motorcycles are the Arial Atom, Lotus Super 7 or Caterham 7 (Google them), and they’re as rare as hens’ teeth and you’d need the better part of a Ford F250 box load of cash to buy one.

Tim
I owned an MX-5 for a few years. While it was fun to drive I could only ride in it for a couple of hours. After that it became too uncomfortable. The other thing I didn’t like about it (like most sport cars) the car sits very low limiting visibility. The last two years I owned it I placed less than a 1000 miles on the odometer. An F150 I once owned provided a more comfortable, more enjoyable ride.

Reactions: GMBGW

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I have nothing to add. All of my potential responses have been mentioned. Seems a common thread is running, though: open air convertible, slingshot, trike.

As long as I have a good Lady to enjoy it with, life will continue. Heck, I’m only 71.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
I’ve heard stamp collecting is an adrenaline rush.

Seriously, Miata/MX-5 is all you need to know.

Tim
They make them any larger? I stopped trying them on just felt too small.

·
Registered
2022 DCT Non-Touring
171 Posts
Unless you live in CA at the time. By then, Newsom's green/electric rules will all be in force. All those toys you mentioned will be waiting for their turn to be charged because there will be daily brown-outs, hahahha.
Scott
I won't set foot in that state. They won't miss me. :)

·
Registered
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT
68 Posts
As was already asked, why?
Polaris has continued to make the RZRs with inferior parts in order to save money on production. Engine problems, the notorious bearing failures, turbo problems, cracking frames, inferior welding on the cages, RZRs burning to the ground, just to name a few. And don't forget the drive belts constantly burning.

And Polaris has done less and less to cover anything under warranty. Earn they moved production to Mexico, well....

Having dealt with countless unhappy customers, no thanks. CAN Am and Honda are much more reliable products. I cannot speak to the new Kawasaki TRX, but they also have good reviews.

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
Polaris has continued to make the RZRs with inferior parts in order to save money on production. Engine problems, the notorious bearing failures, turbo problems, cracking frames, inferior welding on the cages, RZRs burning to the ground, just to name a few. And don't forget the drive belts constantly burning.

And Polaris has done less and less to cover anything under warranty. Earn they moved production to Mexico, well....

Having dealt with countless unhappy customers, no thanks. CAN Am and Honda are much more reliable products. I cannot speak to the new Kawasaki TRX, but they also have good reviews.
You have more experience with this than I do. All I know is they have never failed me when I rented one, and I'll be renting another next Monday to run around the passes near Cooke City, MT.

But yeah, I used RZR as a generic term instead of SxS. A Honda Talon would likely be the one I buy.

Reactions: BumbleBee1

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
I spent 17 years lightly dabbling around others who had motorcycles, thus that chunk of my life I can't get back.

It was 15 years ago that I returned to motorcycling.

Will the next step be a cardboard casket? :unsure:

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Registered
417 Posts
The one car that most closely emulates the feeling of response and immediacy of a motorcycle is the Mazda MX-5 (aka Miata). If you can fit in one, you must drive it. It is within financial reach of we mortals and they’re readily available.

Tim
Yep, we bought a 2016 MX5 a few years ago and I have to admit I like driving it as much as riding the wing. It'll be a sad day when we part with the wing but the ND will help with that.

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Navi/Audio/Comfort
7 Posts
When the time comes for us to stop riding, what do some of you do to take the place of the enjoyment of riding(if you can replace it🤔)
I know the day will come. But my 94 year old father has a friend who rode his BMW from New England to Florida every year into his mid eighties. Now he only rides around his neighborhood. I'll give up 2 wheels begrudgingly but know that this day will come. I'm 68 and am not slowing down...yet!

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
The picture below is how George H.W. Bush spent birthdays at least up to 90 years old.

Sky Snow Outdoor recreation Travel Glove

For that matter Queen Elizabeth was up there a few years and still jumping too.

James Bond and The Queen London 2012 Performance - YouTube

(One of these stories may have been more fictional than the other, however both are kind of fun and interesting ;))

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford -

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
When the time comes for us to stop riding, what do some of you do to take the place of the enjoyment of riding(if you can replace it🤔)
This what I did, works for me.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

41 - 60 of 76 Posts