GL1800Riders Forums banner
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag
2,944 Posts
I have probably told this before, but by the time I hit the age of 70, my 2008 was feeling pretty heavy trying to horse it around. Traded her for a 2018 last year and now at 72, I feel like I can ride on for many more years as it feels So So much lighter. I know technically it's only 70 or so pounds lighter but it feels 200 pounds lighter to me. It is much easier to move around and I have not yet felt like I might drop it. Some of you might consider the new gen if you want to stay on 2 wheels a bit longer.
Longer term, I see a nice trike in my future when this one gets too heavy!
Crookster,
I can't believe what I just read. Your statements about your '08, and your age, are almost identical to me. We had an '08 Level II for 10 years. It was a great Wing. But, it was sitting around more and more. It seemed it was getting heavier and heavier just to move around the garage when it was cleaning day. We'd not ridden nearly as much as we had ealier in life. So, being that I still liked to ride but the CEO seemed to be backing off some, I traded that 35,000 mile flawless '08 Wing in for a brand new, 2 year old '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT.

Well, it's a long story but, we eventually also bought an '18 Wing Tour DCT Airbag with 5,300 miles on it. She really loves that bike and I'm infatuated with it. I think it's the best motorcycle I've ever owned and I've owned a gazillion of them. And you are so right in terms of how that new '18 feels just moving it around in the garage or slow riding it. It really does feel like it's considerably lighter than the '08. Oh, by the way, I turn the big SEVEN ZERO on Saturday. Man I'm old!
Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Crookster,
I can't believe what I just read. Your statements about your '08, and your age, are almost identical to me. We had an '08 Level II for 10 years. It was a great Wing. But, it was sitting around more and more. It seemed it was getting heavier and heavier just to move around the garage when it was cleaning day. We'd not ridden nearly as much as we had ealier in life. So, being that I still liked to ride but the CEO seemed to be backing off some, I traded that 35,000 mile flawless '08 Wing in for a brand new, 2 year old '18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports DCT.

Well, it's a long story but, we eventually also bought an '18 Wing Tour DCT Airbag with 5,300 miles on it. She really loves that bike and I'm infatuated with it. I think it's the best motorcycle I've ever owned and I've owned a gazillion of them. And you are so right in terms of how that new '18 feels just moving it around in the garage or slow riding it. It really does feel like it's considerably lighter than the '08. Oh, by the way, I turn the big SEVEN ZERO on Saturday. Man I'm old!
Scott
I’m 73 this past June, had my 2015 Wing triked out last December, get a new Rush every time I ride.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Crookster,

Scott
Congratulations on surviving through the 60’s! Twice!!

·
Registered
947 Posts
I lot of mentions of the Miata here, and I understand why. But last year when I went to look at one I found it very difficult to get into it, and even more effort to get out of it with my fake knees and hip issues. I also tried a Mustang, which was easy to get in and out, but despite being a convertible it just felt like riding a regular car. Then I tried a Mini Cooper convertible. With the 6 speed manual it rides and feels like a sports car, and has incredibly responsive steering. Its a bit of a chore to get in and out, but tolerable. With the standard turbocharger its pretty zippy and enough for me. This was a car that my wife had longed for for many years, so the purchase was really for her. But I could see this as a reasonable substitute for motorcycling if and when that time arrives for someone.

I'll add my second recommendation to consider a Can Am Spyder. Back in 2016 before I bought my Goldwing I took a demo ride on a Spyder and hated it. The experience is quite different feeling, at first, than on a 2 wheel motorcycle. But when I tried it again last year, the feeling of confidence in the stability of the vehicle, combined with the comfort and bike-like feeling of being out in the elements, made me decide to get it about 5 minutes into the demo ride. It does take a bit more in the way of upper body effort since you are steering the bike through curves, not leaning, and even with the power assist front end it is still a good workout on a day long ride. But even with my damaged shoulders (full tear of my rotator cuffs on both shoulders) I can fully enjoy a 3 or 4 hour ride and not suffer the next day with shoulder pain. Its the mental adjustment that is the hardest, telling yourself that as nice as it is, its not a "real" motorcycle.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
9,823 Posts
I think the what you do is not nearly as important as doing something. I've known several people who retired to their couch and their health started declining soon after that. My father was a life-long golfer and when he quit playing his health went down the drain.
Yea at our age and I assuming most here are in their 60's, it's never been as important to stay active as it is now...lift weights 3 times a week doing compound movenents... ..walk 5 miles a day between the workout days.. walking and weight lifting along with clean eating and sleep is the key to mobility and riding comfortably into your late 80's.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
When I can no longer ride a MC, will probably give rodeo a try, bull and bronc riding.

• Haha
Reactions: CAWing and IBWayne
61 - 76 of 76 Posts