GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there those who do not believe others that state, "My bike does not have a decell wobble at all. I mean zero."?

I live in the South Bay area. I'm just about (almost) ready to offer rides to prove it. You bring your Goldwing over to my place, we trade bikes and go for a ride.
(I did say almost, didn't I) :lol:

I bought All Balls, but did not install them because I didn't completely think it through before getting them (I caved in to all of the BS hype).

My E-3s did not wobble untill near the end of life on the front. I switch to a G709 and my bike is as smooth as silk. Decell, accell, and steady.

I will get the traxxion suspension upgrade as I have a real suspension on my 929 and know what a difference in comfort it makes. I know it's been said a billion times, but still bears repeating, "Racing and/or good suspension DOES NOT mean hard, harsh or tight suspension. Infact, it is the exact opposite!"

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Hey Nedro,

With new rubber, inflated properly I too have no wobble. Let me rephrase, no discernable wobble. After a wear in period, could be a hundred, a thousand, a couple of thousand or more; I didn't keep track, the front tire begins to show cupping and I begin to get the dreaded wobble. I still wait with bated breath to what the solution is.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
nedro said:
Are there those who do not believe others that state, "My bike does not have a decell wobble at all. I mean zero."?
Yes.

·
Registered
19,994 Posts
That's preposterous. If one wobbles they all must wobble, just like all of them overheat and all of them have bad welds. They are all junk I tell ya'. :wink:

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
William Anzik said:
nedro said:
Yes.
O.K. William, This is an invitation just for you. Stop by and we'll ride. I'll let you experience a GL with no wobble.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
'06 with 8600 miles on original D250's with no wobble. ZERO, NADA.

Bradford

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
nedro said:
William Anzik said:
nedro said:
Yes.
O.K. William, This is an invitation just for you. Stop by and we'll ride. I'll let you experience a GL with no wobble.
Well, I don't see that happening any time soon. I'd love to be there now because my riding season here is about over. I appreciate the invitation though. Are you going to be at Wing Ding 29? :)

Mine had no wobble when it was new. Then I started getting a little - depending on what kind of road I was on. I perfectly new smooth road had no wobble. I should say "little wobble" because there is always a hint of it (can't change the laws of physics! :wink: ) I think it's mostly due to tire wear. The bearings could have loosened up a bit too.

I think there are many factors, since we can't pin down any one thing that really gets rid of the wobble completely. I think another factor is the weight of the rider and the setting of the preload. I haven't seen the former talked about too much but the latter has been touched upon.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Nedro,

How far do you let your front tire wear down ??? Mine will NOT wobble either if the tire is OK, but if it is down to threads and real rough on the outside, it will have a decel wobble from about 45 on down... But not a twitch with good tires !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
706 Posts
KA7W said:
Nedro,

How far do you let your front tire wear down ??? Mine will NOT wobble either if the tire is OK, but if it is down to threads and real rough on the outside, it will have a decel wobble from about 45 on down... But not a twitch with good tires !!

JMHO 8)
Then tires must definately be the culprit of all this wobble stuff, NOT HEAD BEARINGS!!! I still have the original bearings & I have no wobble at all. If I do, I don't feel it because I keep both hands on the handlebars.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,764 Posts
I believe you when you say your bike doesn't wobble because I know this bike doesn't have to have a decel wobble. My bike didn't wobble on decel until I hit 9000 miles on the stock tires. With with new tires (G709 front tire) there was no wobble unitil around 5000 miles and then my bike would wobble on decel with my hands off of the handlebars.

I upgraded the suspension with the full Traxxion upgrade front and back and my bike doesn't wobble on decel even with that same front tire (G709) it wobbled with before the upgrade. Even with a worn front tire with 18000 miles, my bike wouldn't wobble on decel.

·
Registered
750 Posts
My 02 that I purchased new in June 03 has never had a wobble. ALWAYS had the stones and still does. 44psi front and rear. Check it before EVERY ride.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Never knew I had a wobble until I read about it on the forum. I replaced the first front (Stones) at 8000 running 36 psi like the manual said. I had to find the wobble. Replaced the second front (Metzlers) at 14,000 it was wobbling pretty bad. 41 psi. I believe it more of an issue of your tires need replacing than a design flaw. If I get 8 to 10,000 miles out of a tire, I think thats great. I still think on a perfect day a ST 1100 is the smoothest bike at 85 running down the highway. If you factor in passing tractor trailors, cornering ( yes cornering) and all the other things you run into on the highway or interstate the wing can't be beat.

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Mine never had a wobble till just after 33,000 miles.... So I do believe you. Believe me as well that not having one now does not guarantee it wont surface down the road... then again it may never show up.... Go figure

·
Registered
547 Posts
I've got a brand new set of Metzelers on my bike, and have zero wobble. Prior to the new tires, I had a set of E3's with 20,000 miles, and no wobble.
I don't think it's the tires, though my E3's had a minimal amount of cupping, since the inflation pressure was kept up over their entire life.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Mine didn't have it and it couldn't be induced until I switched from D250s to Metz. I believe you.

·
Registered
17,036 Posts
This forum is a place to talk about problems; so if this were your only source of info; you would think the GL1800 is a POS instead of the best touring bike available. My bike has no wobbles unless I am down to the very last nubs of one of the tires; otherwise its smooth going hands free from fast to almost stop. OE bearings too. Maybe most don't wobble; just we see lots of complaints here as that is the nature of the site.

Tell ya what; I won't borrow your toothbrush and you keep your ass off my bike! :wink:

prs

·
Registered
906 Posts
Guess I don't have enough miles on my '06 titanium with the original tires to know what the wobble thing is all about (5000 miles is all). Now my v65 is a different story. The wobble at 35 to zero will almost through you off when tires are almost wore out. So far the wing has no wobble. YIPPEEEE

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
KA7W said:
Nedro,

JMHO 8)
I don't like going past the wear bars. But the E-3s wore oddly. It had that common ridge in the center and as others have seen, the left was bald and the right was to the wear bars. I had only about 1000 miles of no wobble, then it came on slowly as the tire wore. The Dunnies did the same thing. That's why I tried the E-3s. But the G709s are on another plain. And this one is silk.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts