GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While we are all pulling for Beverly, wouldn't it be nice if we had a rollback and she had decided NOT TO RIDE that day.

Therefore, I'd like to pass along the following information on when NOT to ride. It is an acronym: H-A-L-T-D-I-P

H: Hungry. If you're hungry, chances are you are not focused on your riding, and even worse, without proper nutrition your body can't run, just as a bike without gas can't run.

A - Angry. Think that taking a ride will get your mind off being angry? More than likely, you will miss something important, which might lead to a crash.

L - Late. So, arrive late in one piece. Don't try to make up the time on the road.

T - Tired. Fatigue and bikes do not go together.

D - Drunk. This one should be obvious.

I - Impaired. Certain medicines warn you not to operate heavy machinery while taking them. What do you thing your motorcycle is?

P - Just what the letter says - you must P! Make a comfort stop now!

There was a study where discrete skills were broken down to operate a car, helicopter and a motorcycle. Here's what was found:

Car: 900 skills
Helicopter: 1800 skills
Motorcycle: Over 2700 skills. That's 3X car & 1.5X helicopter.

Point is, if you are not 100%, don't ride that day. This comes too late for Bev, but perhaps not too late for the rest of us.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
While we are all pulling for Beverly, wouldn't it be nice if we had a rollback and she had decided NOT TO RIDE that day.

Therefore, I'd like to pass along the following information on when NOT to ride. It is an acronym: H-A-L-T-D-I-P

H: Hungry. If you're hungry, chances are you are not focused on your riding, and even worse, without proper nutrition your body can't run, just as a bike without gas can't run.

A - Angry. Think that taking a ride will get your mind off being angry? More than likely, you will miss something important, which might lead to a crash.

L - Late. So, arrive late in one piece. Don't try to make up the time on the road.

I - Impaired. Certain medicines warn you not to operate heavy machinery while taking them. What do you thing your motorcycle is?

There was a study where discrete skills were broken down to operate a car, helicopter and a motorcycle. Here's what was found:

Car: 900 skills
Helicopter: 1800 skills
Motorcycle: Over 2700 skills. That's 3X car & 1.5X helicopter.

Point is, if you are not 100%, don't ride that day. This comes too late for Bev, but perhaps not too late for the rest of us.
Bald Eagle, remember here we don't know what really happen to Beverly, maybe or maybe none of the above.

Good points you bring up though.
Lessens we were taught in the first couple of days in MFS classes.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good points, you just never know. Timing is everything in life along with good luck bad luck. You have to have good timing along with a little luck sometimes. I sure hate it for beverly and am hoping she comes out of her accident with the mental strength and attitude to to carry on. From what I hear of her, she will do just that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Excellent acronym, (or is it a pneumonic, I'm never sure) thank you Bald Eagle.

John

·
Registered
747 Posts
Yes, all good points. And we really do not know what happened. We all want to be safe; that said, we all have had times where we were on the edge. Once you are on the edge, its a matter of skill, luck, fate; call it what you will that causes the accident. IMO, people who do not find themselves on the edge have already sorted the situation in advance and do the right thing. There are external forces that can change everything and knowing Beverly and her experience, I suspect an external event caused her to leave the road. We should withhold judgement untill we know all that happened. To Beverly: GOD'S SPEED.

R

·
0 Posts
Point is, if you are not 100%, don't ride that day.
Nobody's 100% on their best day. Were all human and even on our best day we can screw up and if we don't screw up somebody else might be there to screw it up for us. Just the way life is.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Bad day

I'm sure everyone here has started out at one time or another and felt as though things weren't quite right. A little trouble cornering one way or the other, wobbling around a little at a stop, missing until the very last second the cager coming into your lane, or just plain feeling as though your co-ordination was screwy. Sometimes it can be overcome by simply continuing to ride. Other times it lasts the whole time you're on the bike. In reality, if you make it home in one piece you're either good...............or lucky. On that bad day, it's when you crash. It's happened to me. No, not the crash, but that feeling, and I've been lucky/good or I've turned around and gone home.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bald Eagle, remember here we don't know what really happen to Beverly, maybe or maybe none of the above.

Good points you bring up though.

Lessens we were taught in the first couple of days in MFS classes.
One of the posts stated she was tired/not feeling well, but then decided to go anyway. That's what I mean.

And you have to be 100%, as you don't get a second chance. If you are not prepared, your gear is not OK or your bike has a problem, you need to fix these things before turning the key.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Being carefull at anything you do is important...but I feel that no matter if you are driving a car or riding a bike or anything else..."LUCK" does come into play.

·
Registered
747 Posts
One of the posts stated she was tired/not feeling well, but then decided to go anyway. That's what I mean.

And you have to be 100%, as you don't get a second chance. If you are not prepared, your gear is not OK or your bike has a problem, you need to fix these things before turning the key.
Again....we do not know what happened. If we all waited untill we were a 100 percent, we may never ride again. For me, I'm more focused when I'm not at my best because I know I need to be even more mentally alert when Iam not physically on top of my game. Untill I know better, I suspect an external event cause the accident. She has been around the block too many times to just simply leave the road.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks for the post. I am going to post it on a club website. I think it is an excellent guide line.

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
Good points all. For me the worst impairment would be anger. I try to never ride or drive angry. I tend to push any vehicle to the absolute limits if upset. Tired would be a close second as focus is crucial for longevity on a motorcycle. Some days you know you are in the zone and can ride like Hayden. Other times you know your just off or distracted, thats when you should stay home.

·
Registered
780 Posts
But you know, sometimes riding takes care of some of those problems. I have been ticked at the world and hop on a bike and 30 min later I am calm and relaxed. Maybe Bev just thought getting out on a bike and seeing friends would make her feel better, we don't know, life is what it is and you have to live it. I hope and pray that things turn out ok for Bev, she seems like a very nice lady.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Excellent Post....
Thanks Bald Eagle:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Then You Might Like This...

Again....we do not know what happened. If we all waited untill we were a 100 percent, we may never ride again. For me, I'm more focused when I'm not at my best because I know I need to be even more mentally alert when Iam not physically on top of my game. Untill I know better, I suspect an external event cause the accident. She has been around the block too many times to just simply leave the road.
Well, again I say, like in golf, there are no mulligans.

Perhaps this article I wrote will help:

http://jkgraphics.com/Eagle/radar.html

·
Banned
3,711 Posts
A lot of Good points :thumbup:

We all wish the Bev God speed

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
:eek:4:
I might as well just sell the Bike.
I can probably spell the word on Rare occasion while trying to get home.
I have at least one letter All the times I ride.
I'm not saying it's right. And I try not to ride under some of these conditions.
If you can't ride when you gotta Pee. How bout the other. :popcorn:

I think the biggest thing is when you get on the Bike. Forget about everything else. But this is Kinda obvious.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
H-A-L-T-D-I-P

All very good rules to follow.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts