GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To this point I have been parking the Wing for the winters with a full tank, and stabilzer added. Now, with the new gas, is it wiser to fully empty the tank?? Your thoughts appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
252 Posts
Fill it with non-oxy, no stabilizers required IMO and experience.

Reactions: Goldwing-Tour

·
Registered
851 Posts
Run a tank of non ethanol thru it. Fill it with non ethanol and add Sta Bil Storage. Sta Bil also makes an additive in a bottle similar to the Storage. Use the Storage. Best thing is of course move to a warmer climate. >:)

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Don't ask here. The path to your answer is Owner's Manual > index > storage > motorcycle > storing you're Honda.

One is leaving my shop tomorrow. He didn't follow those instructions. As a result, his repair bill is $2340.12.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Don't ask here. The path to your answer is Owner's Manual > index > storage > motorcycle > storing you're Honda.

One is leaving my shop tomorrow. He didn't follow those instructions. As a result, his repair bill is $2340.12.

Of course you could have just answered his question, or posted a copy of the page.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
I would just fill the tank. Since I would have it parked for 4 months or so, there was never a problem. NOW.... the old Honda CB750F's with the metal tanks got emptied as good as I could get them emptied, and then I would leave the cap off with a paper towel covering the opening to keep the dust out and to allow it to air dry. I had perfect metal gas tanks on all of my vintage bikes.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Mine sits many months over our extended winter season. This is the first winter with the Wing but prior years with the ST1300 and several other carb'ed bikes, sleds, etc. I fill the tank with regular gas (which is ethanol) and use the Startron enzyme additive. Never had a problem. Every other month or so try to remember to charge the battery. I do not leave it on a "tender" continuously.
Your results can/will vary.

·
Registered
851 Posts
My Owner's Manual suggests filling the tank. It does not address using a fuel additive however. Other than the fuel issue is of course an oil/filter change, cooling system, cylinder care and so on. I have always used Sta Bil. Not only on my bikes but my other combustion motors as well.:shrug:

·
Registered
888 Posts
Is the "Fill the tank" concept a carry-over from days when the tank was steel ?
I seem to think that it was a way to prevent flash rust on the inside -
Now our tanks are plastic -- no rust --
I stabilize the fuel so it will burn in 4 months when I ride again --
My tank already has stabilized fuel in it so when the snow comes - I put it away -
The injectors get cleaned with fuel additives in Spring -
I don't worry about the fill level - some evaporation WILL occur -
In Spring - Fill with fresh fuel and ride the heck outta the bike

I DO change the oil prior to 'storage' season - temporary really - 3-5 months long where I live ;)

I might be wrong - but this is what I do

Reactions: remoandiris

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
Of course you could have just answered his question, or posted a copy of the page.
If you feel that strongly about that, you can do that too.

I try and help that masses, and that does not leave much time to "baby feed" the few ... especially on something as simple as that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My Owner's Manual suggests filling the tank. It does not address using a fuel additive however. Other than the fuel issue is of course an oil/filter change, cooling system, cylinder care and so on. I have always used Sta Bil. Not only on my bikes but my other combustion motors as well.:shrug:
I have a couple of old Ford tractors ('48 and '52) that are working tractors. I converted the tractors to electronic ignition and they start as well or better than my cages. Between the tractors, the mowers, DR-Trimmer, etc. I buy gas as cheap as I can get it at 110 gallons at a time. Soon as I buy it, even in the spring or summer, I add the appropriate amount of Sta-Bil to it. So I am basically running treated gas all the time in those engines. I don't use that gas in my Wing but I will when I know it's getting close to the end of the season and try to run a tank through if I can and then fill it with that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
https://motorcycle.honda.ca/Content...enericContent_FFH/winter-storage-guide-EN.pdf
Fuel tank preparation is a vital part of winter storage.
There are two ways to prepare the fuel tank for storage:
The first method is to completely drain the fuel tank, leaving
it dry for the storage period. If you use this method, lightly
spray the inside of the tank with a fuel-soluble anti-rust
agent.
The second method (recommended for fuel-injected
models) is to fill the tank completely with fresh fuel. The
proper level is just up to the bottom of the fuel filler neck.
When filling the tank, avoid oxygenated fuels if you can
(those known to contain ethanol or methanol), as they
absorb water and cause rust.
If you are certain that you will not be riding the vehicle for
at least 4 to 6 weeks, add a fuel stabilizer such as Pro
Honda Fuel Stabilizer or equivalent to the tank before filling
it with fuel. If the vehicle will be stored more than three
months before you ride, you should also drain the fuel
shut-off valve, fuel lines, and the carburetor(s) float
bowl(s).

·
Registered
872 Posts
Parking in winter

The last few years I haven’t been able to ride as much as I should be riding. I had a HF portable garage that I parked the trike in. Last year in December we had a real strong winds go through. Being a trapped shed I went out to check on things and had one corner lifting up a couple inches. It was on a concrete pad and legs shot down to hold them. Walked around to inside and as I was standing there a real big gust of wing came up and lifted it up over my head and onto the neighbors fence. That was the 3rd one I lost and decided to build one to park in. I’m 67 Yrso and did it all myself. You mite be asking what this has to do with parking routine and answer is nothing. Just a lead in to what I do when I park for winter.
I keep an eye on the extended forecasts and try to decide when it’s time. When I think it’s getting close I’ll put a little sea foam in main tank, my trike has an aux tank and I’ll put a couple gallons in it with sea foam. When time comes I’ll transfer aux into main and top it off and take advantage of a good day if it comes around. Of course if snow on the ground or salt I don’t go on a decent day. Sorry for the length but had nothing g better to do than write this short book,lol.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Is the "Fill the tank" concept a carry-over from days when the tank was steel ?
I seem to think that it was a way to prevent flash rust on the inside -
Now our tanks are plastic -- no rust --
I stabilize the fuel so it will burn in 4 months when I ride again --
My tank already has stabilized fuel in it so when the snow comes - I put it away -
The injectors get cleaned with fuel additives in Spring -
I don't worry about the fill level - some evaporation WILL occur -
In Spring - Fill with fresh fuel and ride the heck outta the bike

I DO change the oil prior to 'storage' season - temporary really - 3-5 months long where I live ;)

I might be wrong - but this is what I do
I feel the concept of filling the tank leaves less room for air and for condensation to form in the tank as a result.

·
Registered
5,994 Posts
I fill tank w/fuel
Add stabilizer
wash/wax
lift trike off cement floor/so no tires touch ground (floor jacks are used) always inside garage
place a rug under trike/bike to keep condensation away
stuff steel wool into pipes
battery tender on battery
and most important I make a big sign that says MICE AND OTHER CRITTER'S KEEP OUT
Then pull out my snow skies and pray for a snowy winter

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I feel the concept of filling the tank leaves less room for air and for condensation to form in the tank as a result.
No longer an issue for you, right? :wink2:

Reactions: Steve F

·
Registered
460 Posts
I called quite a few gas stations here in Payson, AZ to see who has gas without ethanol. So far couldn't find a station. Anyone know of one here or close by?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Nothing close by but thanks for the link!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts