GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some guidance on when to replace the hoses and thermostat on the 1800 Goldwing. I have a 2001 model with 33,000 miles on it. The coolant was replaced back in 2005 and now that the bike is 8 years old, I assume it's time for hose replacement. Would you replace every hose or are there some you might let go a little longer? Since you have to remove the water pump assembly to replace the thermostat, would you bother replacing the thermostat if everything had been working well up to this point? And for those of you who have done this service, what kind of problems did you encounter or what would you do different next time? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Good question, I will be watching this thread also.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Me too! But I think most get rid of before doing so.

·
Read Only
853 Posts
For most autos, it recommended that coolant and hoses be changed every 4 years, or 100K miles..whichever comes 1st. As for the thermostat....if it ain't broke don't fix it. I have gotten well over 200 miles on the original factory thermostat in my trucks. I use Fail Safe brand whenever I need to replace one and if available for the vehicle. Fail Safe will always stick open if and when it fails.

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
With such low mileage I would just inspect once a year, for the hoses. If when you do a coolant change and all is well I would leave well enough alone. I wouldn't worry too much about the other.

But if you are going to go that far into the engine and you want to replace the other hoses, then I would do them all at one time. It is a time consuming job and you know to get to the hoses you will have to remove the fuel tank? If you can do the work yourself it will save you a lot of money over what the dealer will charge you. But it never hurts to ask what they will charge to do that service for you. At least you can be prepared when you decide to do it.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
My 18 year old this year 91 Venture has never had a hose replaced. I asked the mechanic at the dealer if I should replace them and he said no. He's never seen one fail. I asked on the Venture site and couldn't find anyone who has had a problem with a hose.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I put 190K miles on my GL1100, never replaced a hose. I put 240K miles on my GL1500, never replaced a hose. My GL1800 has 130K miles on it, and no hoses have been replaced. In fact I never replaced a water pump, T-stat or radiator cap on any of them. The only caveat I will make is that I ran a zero pressure coolant system in each bike with Evans coolant. The hoses were not subjected to constant pressure expansion and contraction each day.

http://www.evanscooling.com/

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Heavens no, your bike is nearly new with few miles, wear or punishment. You should have a long long time before you need to worry about fooling around with any of the 32 hose clamps on the 1800, nor would I suspect you would want to given where they are all located and how you would have to get to them all.

Replace your coolant, check for leaks and enjoy your bike. It's still new.

DaleC

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
That is a really tough question to answer. Many of us have had hoses blow out in our cars. But on motorcycles, they seem to last forever. My 17 year old Honda Magna with 55,000 miles on it never had the hoses replaced. From the outside, they looked like new, without any evidence of dry rotting.

I have an 02 with over 50,000 miles, and I don't intend on replacing them for quite some time.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Replacing all the hoses would be a nightmare job!:eek:4:

At 33k miles, I wouldn't give it a second thought.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

My GL1500 was sold at 296,000 miles on the same coolant and hoses. This 1800 has 223,000 miles on the same coolant and hoses. Both were on same thermostats

Don't worry, enjoy the ride :lol:

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
19,060 Posts

My GL1500 was sold at 296,000 miles on the same coolant and hoses. This 1800 has 223,000 miles on the same coolant and hoses. Both were on same thermostats

I agree with KA7W again??? Did the sun come up today???:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Holy sh#t,even i agree with tom today,its gonna hail cats and dogs here in pa today, :coffee1:OLE YELLER MBG PA

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

Come on guys, we had a deal, no one was to agree with me until 2013. Why is everyone forgetting the deal ?? Just because Obama got elected does not mean that contract is null and void !!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts

Wow you never changed the coolant in all those smiles :lol: amazing

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

Come on guys, we had a deal, no one was to agree with me until 2013. Why is everyone forgetting the deal ?? Just because Obama got elected does not mean that contract is null and void !!

I never agreed to that.....:p

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks all of you for your input on this subject. I'm usually a preventative maintenance kind of guy but I was afraid of opening a can of worms replacing all of the hoses and possibly having leaks where none existed before. So I think I will drain and flush the cooling system and install new coolant, saving some money, time and frustration. Thanks again

·
Registered
20,952 Posts
after reading a bunch of bs on the GWRRA board i went through all the trouble and expense to replace all the coolant hoses on my 1992 GL1500, man what a waste of time and money that was ! but i learned a very good lesson

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
Thanks all of you for your input on this subject. I'm usually a preventative maintenance kind of guy but I was afraid of opening a can of worms replacing all of the hoses and possibly having leaks where none existed before. So I think I will drain and flush the cooling system and install new coolant, saving some money, time and frustration. Thanks again
"Can of worms." A fitting metaphor indeed!

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts