GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using synthetic oil for many thousands of miles now. My plan has been to change this oil in accordance with Honda's mileage recommendation of 8000 miles. I have found that I am averaging about 8000 miles a year and my oil change cycle seems to occur right about July or August. If I am going to change oil only once a year is it better to: stretch until the spring and put fresh oil in before first ride of the season (meaning old oil sits over the winter with light use of the bike); or, change oil at end of riding season and leave fresh oil over the winter; or, just change whenever I reach the 8000 mile mark? Please add your reasoning to your answer. I look forward to the collective wisdom here as I seem to have this same dilemma every year.
Chip from Long Island

·
Registered
430 Posts
I would not leave 8k oil in over the winter. Oil is probably pretty crapped out by 8k miles and has lots of impurities in it. Good chance of h2o condensing in the crankcase during cold weather and with all the impurities, forming acid.

I'm not very good at changing oil often, but try every 4k miles or so. Reminds me, need to change the oil for winter. Should change at least every 6 months IMHO.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Chip,

A good recomendation, is to put it to bed for the winter with fresh oil and filter.

Ride it the next season without a care.

Dawg

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Once again..........I'm going with the Dawg.

John

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
Yeah... waste a batch of oil... if it were mine..i would wait until the spring
just before I start riding to change oil... but of coarse... we ride all year long here in the south...............................

cosmic

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Bulldog said:
Chip,

A good recomendation, is to put it to bed for the winter with fresh oil and filter.

Ride it the next season without a care.

Dawg
Sounds best as a plan, did it this way for many years on my former yacht and boats when living up North. I ride year round on motorcycles North or South that's why their's Gerbing electric suits. 8)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
LI,

Sounds like you get the bike out every now and again, even during the winter? If so, I'd change the oil at the beginning of the season.

Oil in an internal combustion engine is contaminated primarily from the combustion process. Both raw gas and burnt gasses make it past the piston rings and get down into the crankcase where the oil dutifully picks it up for filtering. Short trips are especially damaging for the oil - short trips being defined as the engine temperature not normalizing. Possibly your winter rides could qualify for short trip rides? If so, why contaminate fresh oil during the winter? YOMD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts