GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new Goldwing trike with just 1500 miles on it. should I put a few more miles on it before change to synthetic oil. what's your opinion on this.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a new Goldwing trike with just 1500 miles on it. should I put a few more miles on it before change to synthetic oil. what's your opinion on this.
My opinion, and it is only that, is that modern engines don't really need a break in period. Run whatever came in it until the first recommended oil change then go synthetic. Not going to start another oil thread here. There are plenty of those. In the GW your transmission will shift better and everything seems to run better. Again, just my opinion. All my fluids have been full synthetic in all all my bikes for years and I have never had any engine related issues.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Would agree with what has been said. It's all I run in the bike.

·
Registered
734 Posts
My opinion, and it is only that, is that modern engines don't really need a break in period. Run whatever came in it until the first recommended oil change then go synthetic. Not going to start another oil thread here. There are plenty of those. In the GW your transmission will shift better and everything seems to run better. Again, just my opinion. All my fluids have been full synthetic in all all my bikes for years and I have never had any engine related issues.

That's my thoughts exactly.

Many folks scoff at using 100% synthetic because of the cost. We've spent in excess of $30K for these machines and if some of us choose the expensive lubricants then we have peace of mind.

While you are at it, consider synthetic gear oil in the differential also. I just drained mine and replaced it with AMSOIL Severe Gear 75W-90. I can tell the difference in noise and smoothness already.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I changed mine at the recomended 4000 to full synthetic and will extend the recomended 8000 intervels to 10/12000 mile range to take full advantage of the synthetic.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Be sure your crush washer is compatible with synthetic.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I also prefer synthetic url. However I do add three drops of Dino url rendered from ancient lizards to keep that burnt oil smell.

Reminds me of bacon and eggs early for breakfast, only three drops keep the old time traditional burnt oil smell and make me feel at home. ;)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I use nothing but Amsoil and get it from board sponsor Shinhopples, great people to deal with.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Once my bike reach 1500 miles, I will put in Amsoil synthetic

I want to make sure the engine has a good break-in before putting
in the synthetic

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I change to Synthetic after my first oil change and have used it since then.

I have used Rotella T-6 Synt Blue Jug in my 06 since the first oil change.
It was pointed out to me a few months ago, that the JASO ma is now missing from the label.
Due to this I have switched to- Mobil 1 4T 10w40 Synt motorcycle oil.
It seems to me that it works as good or better then the Rotella, so I'm using it from now on.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Mobil 4T full syn

At 4K miles, switched. Will faithfully change at 10K. Tranny works considerably better. Did NOT realize that crush washer may NOT be compatible with syn oil. Any ideas about that concept???

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
I use nothing BUT synthetic in all my bikes ---------------love it!

Ronnie

·
Registered
734 Posts
I changed mine at the recomended 4000 to full synthetic and will extend the recomended 8000 intervels to 10/12000 mile range to take full advantage of the synthetic.
YUP, Me too... AMSOIL says to double manufactures recommended mileage but the "OLD SCHOOL" in me just won't let me go to 16K. I shoot for 10K and don't sweat it I miss by a tiny bit....

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Why crush washer needs to be compatible with synthetic oil? Never heard this before.
Not sure exactly why, but it has something to do with the size of the url molecules synthetic versus Extruded Dino url.

I am told that if you pre-crush the crush washer then the difference in space will allow the drain plug to fit taking up just a bit more volume and make up for the smaller synthetic url molecule.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks Kit, the explanation is correct.
However, if you do pre-crush the crush washer you must add one teaspoon more oil when doing the oil change.
Four quarts and one teaspoon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
crush washers

If any of you fellas are having issues finding these new " synthetic Crush Washers " I just bought a whole gross. I would be willing to share the wealth and sell you one for $ 15.00 plus shipping anywhere in the Lower 48.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts