GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When traveling do you avoid large cities? or go through. I'm in Wisconsin and my daughter will graduate Air Force boot camp in Austin TX mid May. I want to take the wing but hate riding through the big cities.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Big Cities

If possible, I try to only avoid rush hour, but all in all, I've found that if you keep on your toes, the cities are no worse to ride on than many of the 4 lane interstate roads. I'm always alert for debris, for some reason it seems that there is a lot of "stuff" on the roads that you can either hit or get hit by around cities. To me, downtown in large cities is usually easier to manuver on the bike than a car.

I made the mistake of trailering the wing one time on a trip through Chicago. The entire time I was kicking myself for not riding. ( although I did see a bike down that had been run over by an SUV, yuck )

I'm not too keen on going to Dallas for the Wing Ding in July.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Big Cities

Well, Most towns on the way down to San Antonio have loop freeways around them. From Wisconsin, depending on the way you go, you could miss almost every major city just by taking the Loop, I think Little Rock and Texarkana are the only ones you would have to worry about.

Also the ride down I35 is a long striaght shot right down to SA.

San Antone this time of year is great!

I am retired Air Force, Aircraft Mechanic. What is she going to be?

Should be a very proud day for you, congrats!

Da Sarge

·
Registered
824 Posts
Re: Big Cities

OzarksF6 said:
I'm not too keen on going to Dallas for the Wing Ding in July.
Ozark, The Wing Ding is in Grapevine, not Dallas. There will be alot of traffic, but nothing like Dallas. You can leave Grapevine without going thru Dallas. Stay to the north and west of the Dallas area and you will be just fine.

For GregnSue, if you come down I-35, when you get to the Dallas/Fort Worth area, I-35 will split and I-35E will go thru Dallas and I-35W will go thru Fort Worth. I would recommend taking I-35W thru Fort Worth. Also when you get to Austin, it can be every bit as bad as Dallas. Avoid both of them during rush hour. I personally would recommend that when you got to Fort Worth that you detour west on Loop 820, then take US377 to Stephenville, then pick up US281 all the way to San Antonio. This will add about 10 miles and 1 hour to your trip, but it is a much nicer route to ride!

·
Registered
380 Posts
It depends, if it is not a rush hour time of day I will go through because it usually is quicker. But before I leave and I am planning the ride, I will check for construction, it seems alot of the citys throughout the US are doing somekind of road work. :sw1: :flg:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Loops

I do my best to avoid loops around major cities. Even at rush hour. By going straight thru town you can avoid at least ½ the rush hour traffic. Atlanta, for example, 285 is always busy. But if you are on 75 going against the rush hour flow you can watch the 4 lane parking lot just over the median. And if you slow to the 55 MPH speed limit you can expect to be rear-ended. BTW........The shortest distance between two points in Atlanta is under construction. LOL

Jerry

No offense to you Atlanta-ites

G

·
Coming through Texas, you can miss most of the cities and get some really great riding in (not interstate). Not to much difference in time just better scenery. Let me know when your coming and I can give you a route.

Dallas to San Antonio is pretty hairy on the interstate especially on certain days (Friday) and times (rush hours).

If your daughter is at Lackland then there is a better way to get there then right through town.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I love RUSH HOURS in big cities.

It is always a big PLEASURE to slide away between those cages near a complete stop and filled up four lanes bumper to bumper for miles.

I feel great riding a bike at those moments and I know everyone of those drivers wishing they were me as soon as I pass them and disappear in that traffic jungle.

Of course it is legal in CA to share the lanes with cages.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Although I live next to I-5 near Tacoma, I hate using it. What scares me to death is being in any of the lanes except the farthest left lane. At least in the passing lane I can avoid all the frequent lane changers...and folks fighting to get on and off ....it's just too crazy around here anymore. In the far left lane I only have to worry about the one lane to my right, and I always have the left shoulder to escape on if I'm about to get rear-ended.....works best for me.... BTW, congrats go to your daughter, seems a lot of us AF guys are on here, remembering out days at "Basic"...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Not only do I try to avoid major metro areas, I try to avoid Interstates, especially when riding with GoldWingGal. While commuting to the office, I don't have much choice for a major part of the trip, but give me a US highway or state or county road, even through many small towns, any day!

This subject might make a good survey subject. I'll see if I can figure out how to do one!

Best Wishes and Congratulations!

GWG

By the way, does all Air Force basic training get taken near Austin? My daughter-in-law is starting later this summer, but I haven't heard where.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts