GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Been there, done that, don't want a tee shirt.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I can only speak for myself, but if I go down in a slow turn, it's because I looked down instead of where I'm going. :oops: :roll: :oops: :idea: That's one of many things I learned in MSF ERC class. And sometime the road is slick or sandy. Lots to watch out for.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
ddking said:
you have to turn the key off and then on before it will start again.

Don't ask. :oops:
========== no need for me to ask, I know.

the guards protected the plastic well in my incident. but I ain't talkin

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
dear Mr King

I to have the same problem you do, twice I have been going up hill, to the left and coming to a stop and the bike just fell over.

The first time was up in Vermont on a tour with Andrew DeLiveron and Matt from ashland Mass. we had just gone through a beautifull set of twisties and we came to a rest stop, I pulled in and must have "forgot" to down shift or sump'tn. cause the bike stalled and fell over, a bunch of people (bikers) ran right over to help lift the bike~~~no one laughed or made any comments, and the crash bars worked perfectly

the second time was on holloween evening. Me and TBB* were "out in the country" and no one was around till I came up to a very step hill with a stop sign at the top, so instead of stoping I figured I'd 'roll' through it, BIG MISTAKE, I was almost stoped and ready to throttle up when out of no where comes this big old chevy pick-up truck, I hit the breaks and BOINK, down we go. the guys in the truck stoped and help me pickup the bike (awfully nice of them BTW), we shook hands and off we went.

damn embarrassing, both times I made the mistake of having the bike turning or leaning left and stopping.

odd thing?? it never seems to happen to the right :D :D :D :D :D

gota love them crash bars :oops: :oops: not a mark on the bike

* Throttle Boss Barb

·
Registered
337 Posts
:oops: I have to believe that a majority of us have at one time or another had to pick up the big bruiser UGH! I for one was backing mine into the garage ( too macho to actually use the reverse gear) and my foot slipped on some leaves and down she went. YES on the left side also, curious....any one ever fell over on the right side? Anyway just as all have mentioned the crash bars did an excellent job of keeping my baby's paint pure.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I dropped my 1800 in the driveway after owning it to only three weeks. I pulled up in front of the garage door and when I put down the side stand, I did not get it fully engaged. As I let the bike down onto the stand I realized it was on its way down. Too late to do anything but let it down easy as possible. Very embarrassing!!

I rememberd viewing a tape where a woman weighing only about 110# picked up a fully dressed wing without any help. Her method works perfect.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Downers

Can't figure out why you guys are always bragging about dropping your Wings. It's easy! Even I can do it. Matter of fact I've done it twice in one day!! So there! :?

·
Registered
228 Posts
SRoss at least you got the side stand down.
In the spring, I climbed on the wing put stand up and noticed the trunk
was opened went to step off and gently laid it down. (forgot the stand).
Wife was pulling out to go shopping ran through the yard and caught her at the stop sign.
She came back and helped stand it up. That was on the left side but I have set it down to the right twice(that's another story).
I'm only 132 pounds maybe 136 when the Turkey's is gone and with a
bad back. So I havent had to try it alone yet.

:flg:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Very close

I've been very close many times. I have pine tree's near my driveway and every once and awhile to long cones will find there way onto my driveway, stepped one backing up ? Oh ! So close there ! Very slow turn going downhill, used the front brake to stay in the shade ! Oop's ! Oh so close. Against the rules but my bride stuck her leg out at the last minute and held us up til I recovered. Yes I did chew her out for that manuver.
I've learned that going slow, that front brake is not your friend. LOL

·
Registered
561 Posts
Left side

I haven't dropped it while riding (yet), but I parked on a slight incline without the bike in gear and it rolled off of the side stand. No damage to anything but the well placed guards.[/quote]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Dropping the Wing...

After reading your post, I thought about what you described, and I remembered something I learned just this past Biketoberfest.
I attended the demonstration held by Jerry Paladino about slow speed riding and turning. The one thing he kept repeating was that if you use your front brake while traveling at slow speeds and making a turn, it will pull you to the ground like a magnet. It is also important to turn your head and look at the direction you want to go. I watched this man use a VTX, making circles at 4-5 MPH while scraping his pegs. He uses the back brake only, the friction zone on the clutch, and the throttle.
I like to use the front brake often, but I now try to be aware not to do so at slow speeds.
Just food for thought.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Re: Dropping the Wing...

O-Town-Tom said:
The one thing he kept repeating was that if you use your front brake while traveling at slow speeds and making a turn, it will pull you to the ground like a magnet.
All of what you've stated is very good advice, and bears repeating. However, on the Wing I wonder how much trouble the Linked Brake System (LBS) on the Wing is going to add to this? The front brake is always applied, at least partially.

I know many have touted how much they like ABS, but I can't say that I'm particularly found of the LBS system - and there is no option to leave it out.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Linked Brakes - Slow Turns

The linked brakes on the GL1800 will not hinder the rear brake, throttle and clutch friction zone method of slow speed turns.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I put it down on the right side while leading a 6 bike, 10 day trip from Texas to Virginia this past summer. As everyone has pointed out, the crash bar does work! :oops:

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Re: Linked Brakes - Slow Turns

Craig Moore said:
The linked brakes on the GL1800 will not hinder the rear brake, throttle and clutch friction zone method of slow speed turns.
I agree competely! The trick to slow riding is having the correct blend of throttle and rear brake with maybe a little clutch friction zone thrown in to control your speed.

GWRRA sells a Slow speed cycling seminar video. It shows the tricks that are used by drill teams. It is worth the money if you do not have someone around to teach you.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Okay, you know what they say about a woman's scorn. For those not in the know, my better half (hihosilvr) posted my age on this site a couple of days ago in the thread regarding average riding age so.....I thought I would mention that it is imperative to put your kickstand/sidestand down BEFORE dismounting your bike. Ask Ed. And as he said in his post "don't tell (him) I told you". :lol: :lol:

Man, I feel better now....especially since that's not the first time he's done it. :a13:

Annette

1 - 20 of 20 Posts