GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this on another forum :eek:4: Makes me feel lucky in the go figure column after my getoff. Probably make you shake your head. Good points for atgatt.

Taken out by a Protected Species
Saturday afternoon, I was riding solo on California highway 36 towards Red Bluff. About 55 mph, 95 degrees, clear skies and headed into a straightaway.

Next thing I knew (and next thing I can remember), I woke up lying in the middle of the road with my clothes shredded and my bike nowhere in sight. I was bleeding from my forehead, hip, shoulder and elbow, and one ankle was pretty sore. I crawled to the shoulder and passed out again.

When I woke up, I noticed a big pile of black stuff up the road a little and thought it must be my bike. As I started walking to it, a concerned-looking guy walked up to me and asked if I was ok. He helped me sit down as I passed out again.

When I woke up again I was lying on the ground and several good samaritans were around me. Pretty quickly, paramedics and a CHP officer arrived.

The CHP officer said the big black pile I'd seen was an eagle (now deceased). He joked that it was a Bald Eagle, which is endangered, so he needed to call Fish and Game to write me a ticket. But then he said actually it was a Golden Eagle. He also said I seemed to be in much better shape than my bike, which had crashed into a ditch well down the other side of the road.

After two days in the hospital, I'm back home now. My bike is pretty smashed up on the front end and may be totalled.

Best I can surmise, the golden eagle must have swooped down to attack - I sure didn't see him coming. He may have focused on my all-black helmet from above and thought it was a small prey animal.

I'm feeling pretty lucky to be alive given how fast I was going when I hit the ground. My gear wore all the way down to my skin in a few places, but for the most part, it protected me very, very well. I was full ATGATT:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts