GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to the Honda Dealers they could not keep 2012 Gold Wings in stock because they were selling them faster that they could get them in! But it seems like not very many 2012 Gold Wing owners on this site! I even had to put a deposit on mine to hold it! While I was picking mine up Southern Honda sold three while I was there. So any 2012 owners out there come on and chime in and tell us all what you think about your new 2012 Gold Wing! The good and the bad!!!!

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
According to the Honda Dealers they could not keep 2012 Gold Wings in stock because they were selling them faster that they could get them in! But it seems like not very many 2012 Gold Wing owners on this site! I even had to put a deposit on mine to hold it! While I was picking mine up Southern Honda sold three while I was there. So any 2012 owners out there come on and chime in and tell us all what you think about your new 2012 Gold Wing! The good and the bad!!!!
It could be that some Honda stores are unwilling or unable to make the financial commitment to stock them. Some probably still have 2000 thru 2010 bikes in stock.

·
Banned
939 Posts
ipod

Tell me about the new ipod intergration. Full text? All functions like artist, album, random, shuffling, etc. Especially for a loaded 120 gb ipod classic.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Got mine candy red navi/abs.........love it,and the iPOD/usb works flawless,tittle,artist,album..........and the new sound system rocks.....

·
Banned
939 Posts
:congrats:

I must say extremely envious of that new ipod integration.

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
The dealer I know very well is one of the better Goldwing dealers in the Houston area - he has a very loyal following of GW owners. I was up there the other day and he had four sitting on the showroom floor (may have had more in the back - I didn't ask).

I asked him how they were selling and his response was not very positive. I'll leave it at that (he has sold a few though).

·
Registered
77 Posts
I love mine, level one. Schroaders can't get enough of them. He has a waiting list. Maybe the price wasn't right where you looked that is why he isn't selling them?

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Honda not keeping up with demand does not surprise me. It is a long ride from Japan to the US. Not like it was when they only had to come from Ohio. Also the earthquake and it's aftermath surely is not helping things either. Power is being rationed in Japan because of the Nuke plant being shut down.
They can't run a high tech factory on rice.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
You are right and it's apparently much farther to smaller Honda dealers than to the larger ones. :joke:

Honda not keeping up with demand does not surprise me. It is a long ride from Japan to the US. Not like it was when they only had to come from Ohio. Also the earthquake and it's aftermath surely is not helping things either. Power is being rationed in Japan because of the Nuke plant being shut down.
They can't run a high tech factory on rice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Red Winger............have you noticed any rattles around the fairing area. I know its all plastic and maybe Im asking too much? I did have the left speaker area not quit seated in properly it made a huge difference, but I still have some rattles.This is my first wing.........

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Red Winger............have you noticed any rattles around the fairing area. I know its all plastic and maybe Im asking too much? I did have the left speaker area not quit seated in properly it made a huge difference, but I still have some rattles.This is my first wing.........
I've owned three Hondas with Tupperware skins. They all groaned and grumbled. Honda isn't near the head of the herd where hanging plastic is concerned, IMO.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Down south they can't keep them in stock. And they only get them in sporadically. Supply and demand thing. Every dealer I have talked to say they are selling as soon as they are put on the floor.

Ps : I love mine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a 2012 that I bought at Honda of Cool Springs in Franklin, Tennessee. I traded in my 2003 Honda ST1100P.

The last Gold Wing I owned was a 1977 model. So my comparison is to the ST rather than to the previous GL. The bike in my avatar picture is my 1976 GL.

The first ride on the 2012 bike was quite an experience. This thing is huge! It felt as though I was sitting in a chair up high on top of some kind of hovercraft. I was a bit tentative in the parking lot and whenever I had to stop. Now I whip it around like there's nothing to it.

I was certain that the bike would be tippy with that high seat. It turned out to be the most stable bike I've ever ridden. I dealt with crosswinds of 30+ mph on that first ride home. The bike didn't care. It just kept on, ignoring the gusts.

At this point I was thinking that a bike this stable wouldn't be any good in the twisties. Wow! I got to the sweet roads and within an hour I was comfortable enough to go deep into the corners. It is amazing to me that something this long, this heavy, and this stable can get through the twisties like that. Now I have no qualms at all about hitting the fun roads.

I also got to ride in a bit of rain on the ride home. The coverage is way better than the ST.

I love this bike. It is very smooth and quiet. It goes nicely on the highway and in the curves. It's not as nimble as a GSXR, but it's nimble enough for me. It's by far the best thing I've ever ridden on the highway. I've put a little under 3000 miles on it so far. There hasn't been a bad mile yet.

I have a few complaints:
1- I had to pay way to much money. To get ABS, I had to pay for that horrible GPS and a useless stereo and heated seats and...
2- The GPS is worse than useless. That space could have been used for something better. There is no detail on the map. You have to zoom in to the 0.2 mile screen to see any roads around where I live. Route creation is a major pain. It acts just like an overpriced car GPS.
3- Although the USB connection works well with the iPod, you cannot hear the music at highway speeds unless you use headphones. The USB connection does not connect back to the useless GPS. (Honestly, if a bird had pooped on my bike in the location of the GPS -- I would have found that more useful.)
4- Fuel efficiency sucks. A bike this good on the highway should have a 350 mile range.
5- Did I mention how much I hate the GPS?

There are quite a few things I love about the bike:
- I love sitting up straight so I can take in the view.
- I love the wind protection.
- I am amazed at how well it pulls at low rpms.
- I love the cruise control. No more speeding tickets!
- I love how well it handles.
- etc, etc, etc

This is by far the best bike I've ever owned. I actually believe I've entered into a new era in my life since I bought the Gold Wing. Nothing bothers me anymore. If I am having a bad day at work, I just hop on the bike and Go Ride for a couple of hours. I no longer take the car on trips. I no longer care about rain.

In another month I'll be able to buy a decent GPS and then the whole world will be perfect.

·
Registered
188 Posts
i got mine last weekend, level one. was only able to put on 100 miles or so but the bike is great..the dealership ...well i will keep it pg13,,,it needs to have its dealership pulled..left there and didnt go 1/4 mile and had to turn around.the TPI light blinking..ended up front tire had only 33 LBS of air in it. got home to fine that the tool pouch was missing and thenthe cb antenia i had them install was only 2 turns on both nuts before it would of fallen off.i called them on monday and told them what else i had found..didnt like the response i got. will never go back and i will tell all about my experence there,,

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Where is 'down South'? I always thought Houston, Texas was in the South. :joke: One Houston Honda dealership was cited above as having 4 (?) in stock and experiencing slow sales. While dealership sales people like it sellers' markets and tend to over-hype demand, financing considerations also tend to affect inventory levels.

Down south they can't keep them in stock. And they only get them in sporadically. Supply and demand thing. Every dealer I have talked to say they are selling as soon as they are put on the floor.

Ps : I love mine.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
i got mine last weekend, level one. was only able to put on 100 miles or so but the bike is great..the dealership ...well i will keep it pg13,,,it needs to have its dealership pulled..left there and didnt go 1/4 mile and had to turn around.the TPI light blinking..ended up front tire had only 33 LBS of air in it. got home to fine that the tool pouch was missing and thenthe cb antenia i had them install was only 2 turns on both nuts before it would of fallen off.i called them on monday and told them what else i had found..didnt like the response i got. will never go back and i will tell all about my experence there,,
They don't come with a tool pouch anymore.:shrug:

later..Randy

·
Registered
19,387 Posts
Same engine-different skin. Congrats on your new ride. Dealers tell me they are selling poor in the Houston area. I have not seen one on the road

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 2012 (1st Goldwing) just keeps getting better. I'm highly impressed. Plenty of power. Smooth as silk. Had a 2007 screaming eagle HD 110" and my wing puts it to shame. I am disapointed I didn't get on a wing sooner. The wing seems to enjoy the fuel but, I also am enjoying the torque! Floats into the twistys and powers out the other end wanting more.
I think the stereo ROCKS! I have an 8gb flash full of music. You can repeat song, repeat folder, random folder, random all. The surround sound has a full sound with two diff. settings. I personally like just the regular sound and am not that excited over that feature.
I could use more wind. Road in the rain the other day in a pair of shorts and hardly even got wet. It is extremely hot right now. I'm sure I won't mind in a few more months.
Was up on the BRP a few times and the wife really wanted the heated seats to work but, from what I've read they don't until it is 55. Bad design! I'll be doing the 10 ohm resistor to the seats to keep Momma happy!
I know the wing is a bullet proof design but, IMO it wouldn't hurt to knock those rpm's down at 75mph to about 27-2800 rpms. 6 speed would be a nice.
From what I was told a #1 does not come with an aux patch cord so I bought on from the stealer. $40 Later. Why doesn't it? :shrug:
All in all I am very pleased and satisfied with my new scooter and can't wait to burn miles up!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts