GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent two weeks in then San Francisco/Oakland area. I saw dozens of Harley's and Beamers, but not one Goldwing?
Coming back into Chicago I saw three in a row and a couple of Harley's.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
We don't spend much time riding our wings in the congestion of the Bay Area although we do commute on them. If you had gone up to Hwy 36, Hwy 4, Hwy 199, Hwy49, Hwy 120, or Hwy 1 you would have seen more than your fair share of wings. When paradise is in your back yard you don't spend much time in the house. I wish you would have let us know you were coming. We could have shown you some legendary rides.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Man, here we go again. Another perfect opportunity... :wink:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I do ride my Wing in town, but I much prefer my wife's Burgman for dodging traffic and running errands. But, when it's time to get out of town the Wing can't be beat.

Sunday, we took a short 200 mile ride. Rode down along the coast through Laguna Beach where people were surfing, playing sand volleyball and driving an extraordinary collection of automotive exotica. Ferrari's were everywhere, vrooming around at 22 mph in first gear.

Then, we headed inland on Ortega Hwy. I have found the secret to this road is to use Tim's (of Pashnit.com) Hwy 1 technique, that is when you get caught behind a convoy pull over and then wait for the next set to come. When they get close take off ahead of them and ride in the gap. Works great. When I passed Hell's Kitchen I saw about 300 Harley's parked. I even saw a half a dozen or so actually riding in this 30 mile stretch. As I started down the mountain over Lake Elsinore we had a visual treat. Perfect weather with clear skies, no smog. The Lake was filled with boaters and skiers while in the sky over head were at least a dozen hang gliders, some of whom were soaring over 6,000 feet overhead.

As I headed along Lake Elsinore toward Fallbrook I passed the Roadhouse which had another 100 or so Harley's in the parking lot. It seems these riders spend a lot of time indoors on beautiful days. Maybe they are inside brushing up on their grammar so they can put down the Goldwingers. In any case, continuing past Bear Creek golf course, filled with golfers, I headed up into the Santa Rosa Plateau ecological preserve where I saw numerous groups on horseback.

I guess what I am trying to get across is what a gift we all have to be able to enjoy so many different toys and activities in our own way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Where they at

Not on the Interstates that's for sure.

After a 14,000 mile trip up to Alaska and back to AZ, I decided to stay ahead of the bad weather and ride the "super slabs", on the way back to OH.

Three days and 2,200 miles later I was home. I saw a few harleys and some sport bikes, but not a single Goldwing. I guess they must just avoid the flat concrete of I-40, I-44, I-70 and I-71.

·
Registered
552 Posts
PeterB said:
I just spent two weeks in then San Francisco/Oakland area. I saw dozens of Harley's and Beamers, but not one Goldwing?
Sometimes I ask the same question. I ride alot on the twisty back roads in arizona and california and hardly see any gold wings. Do most gold wing riders like to stay on the highway?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
No mystery here. You're comparing numbers of Gold Wings, a specific model of a specific brand, against "Harleys", "Sport bikes", etc. When you consider that on a divided freeway, the "Harleys" could probably include all cruisers, it becomes even more uneven.

Just compare sales figures for Gold Wings with sales figures for Harleys or sales figures for all cruisers.

End of mystery.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
stickyfingers said:
....prolly sittin' around waitin' on tires...........

Now that's NOT funny right there
it's prolly true.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lazyboy. Not true. I live in the Chicago area and see Goldwing's all the time. When I went down to Kentucky a month ago, I happen to see more Goldwing's than Harley's.
I was riding small roads as well as the highway in California. I was staying in the Walnut Creek area, but just suprised not to see one in two weeks?

·
Registered
8,623 Posts
I like to stay on the highway, I don't have my knobbys installed yet. :wink: :wink:

later..Randy

·
Registered
547 Posts
gpick-
I'm familiar with a lot of the ride you described, though I approach it from the south. After coming down the Ortega Highway, I head south on the 15 to Temecula, where I catch the 79 and take it all the way to Julian. After a stop there for some pie, we head back into Ramona, where we catch Rattlesnake Canyon Rd and take it back into San Diego. Having these terrific roads to ride that are all within a relatively short distance of San Diego is unbelievable.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Silverback said:
gpick-
I'm familiar with a lot of the ride you described, though I approach it from the south. After coming down the Ortega Highway, I head south on the 15 to Temecula, where I catch the 79 and take it all the way to Julian. After a stop there for some pie, we head back into Ramona, where we catch Rattlesnake Canyon Rd and take it back into San Diego. Having these terrific roads to ride that are all within a relatively short distance of San Diego is unbelievable.
Hey Silverback! Made that same run a couple of years ago on Memorial Day. The only difference is that we added in a detour to Mt. Palomar, and and from Julian, we headed south to Tecate, down into Mexico, and crossed back over at Tijuana. The only significant stretch of Interstate was back up I-5 to Irvine.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
We just got back from a 7K mile trip to NYC and back to CA. On the way out we rode I-40 to make time. Not many Goldwings, plenty of Harleys.

On the return trip we rode MOSTLY secondary roads.....saw far more Harleys and sportbikes than Goldwings.

However, I will say that when you see another Goldwinger they are so happy to see you the wave is huge.

It APPEARS that Harleys and sportbikes out number Goldwings being RIDDEN.

Of the approximately 25 core motorcycles riding with Torches Across America from California to New York, there were 6 Goldwings and 1 Valkyrie.

At the 9/11 Memorial Ride to Brooklyn there were MAYBE 25 Honda motorcycles (and that includes Valkyries) out of about of 2,500.

We ride many short rides in Northern California because the roads are so much fun. However, the Goldwing is a touring motorcycle and we put lots of miles on seeing North America.

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
PeterB said:
Peter - since you were here the last two weeks you had some absolutely incredible weather and were within a relatively short distance of some of the best and most incredible motorcycle roads anywhere in the country. I'm not sure where you were looking for us so maybe you can help me with where you went?

Did you look for us up North along the coast??

Maybe it was down south along the coast??

Maybe in the south Bay by Mt. Hamilton??

How about the Avenue of the Giants?

Or maybe up on the Feather River Canyon??

Up on Hwy 175 above Napa?

I did feel like I was being watched when I was there.....

Maybe up in the Sierra near Yosemite and/or Hwy 120 Tioga Pass?

Sonora Pass?

Maybe over at Kings Canyon National Park??

Of course you may have looked up at Hwy 36 - Right????

You must have looked on Ebbett's Pass Hwy 4 - right??

I'm curious, which places did you look for us????????????

DaleC

P.S. I guarantee you we weren't at any neighborhood DQ, my Wing has never ever been to one.........

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow great photos. I don't know how I sumbled into this thread.
I wish this board had a topic area that focused on letting folks share great rides in various parts of the country. Sort of like the adventure rider forum except tailored towards paved roads and fewer dirt trails and roads.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I looked in all those places and took many of the same pictures. I guess it must have been the color that I missed.

Actually I think I did see you at one point. We were on the yellow 01' and the titanium 06' headed south, the one with the big smilley face on the yellow float bag..

You were the only red wing, that I saw, with a bra.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
PeterB said:
Lazyboy. Not true. I live in the Chicago area and see Goldwing's all the time. When I went down to Kentucky a month ago, I happen to see more Goldwing's than Harley's.
I was riding small roads as well as the highway in California. I was staying in the Walnut Creek area, but just suprised not to see one in two weeks?
If you see more Gold Wings than Harleys where you go, I assure you that this is peculiar to the local area. Once again,
see sales figures. Surveys like MCN's repeatedly show that Wingers put quite a few more miles on their bikes per year,
but it's not nearly enough to make up for the huge imbalance in units out there. Maybe those style conscious
Californians don't like the Wing image :wink:

After all, there are a lot of posters on this board that are foolish enough to forgo really functional accessories because
they don't look cool. Personally, I'd wear a clown wig if my head was cold and that's all I had. Wouldn't bother me at all.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts