GL1800Riders Forums banner

Where are the Illinois people at

3K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  meridien 
G
#1 ·
Cmon Illinois people let's get some action started on the Illinois section of the forum.
Do Illinois people just not like to communicate, meet or ride together? :)

Doug

#5 ·
I assume they are all riding in Wisconsin >:):wink2::grin2:

G
#6 ·
If they were in Wisconsin I would see them Rail.
I am up there in the Madison area off and on.
Maybe they are practicing there cornering skills riding "The tail of Illinois"
11 curves in 318 miles!

Doug

#9 ·
Here in my neck of Illinois we have a few of the main roads. Nice twisties but have to be carefully, they can have loose gravel on asphalt. Haven't had a chance to do any exploring to see what is out there. Maybe I should.

#17 ·
it is so sad what has happened to Illinois. This use to be such a nice place to live. Good paying Jobs, low cost of living and now they turned the whole thing upside down and are driving people out of the state. The wife and I are up in McHenry County, a beautiful area in Illinois. We are looking at Tennessee, Arkansas, maybe even Florida in the next couple of years. For now we do have Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa and Missouri for some nice rides.

#18 ·
We've had the proverbial wool pulled over our eyes for a long time. A govrermrnt that only thinks of it self and how to pad their pockets. They no longer work for us, we work foir them through taxes and anything else they can squeeze out of us. The government in office noiw is no different IMO. Wife and I are counting the days we can leave this sad state. It is worse in everything any more.

G
#19 ·
I was just up at Starved Rock State Park on Friday riding.
The roads through and around the park are filled with pot holes.
They are so bad that it makes it borderline dangerous on a motorcycle.
It is difficult to go safely through the once awesome "twisties" that are there.

Doug

G
#23 ·
Those are beautiful areas.
I do 350-450 mile day turn around rides, so I have been on tons of back roads.
I am just tired of going on the same ole same ole.
That is why I would like more of us Illinois guys to meet up.
That way we can see different roads that we have not been on that another guy might know and can show us.

Doug

#24 ·
I'm from Rockford, at least until I can convince my wife that we should sell the house (and take a big loss) and move to a more friendly and well run state. In this area we have some decent roads to ride, such as IL Hwy 2 from just south of Rockford along the Rock River to Dixon, IL. Hwy 84 from Savanna to Galena, with a diversion on Blackhawk Road is very nice. But my favorite twisty roads are in Wisconsin, about an hour or so north of Rockford. Wisconsin Hwy 92 from just north of New Glarus west to Mt. Horeb is a nice road (and then a stop at the Grumpy Troll for lunch in Mt. Horeb) and county roads K, H, and HH just west of Mt. Horeb, north of Barneveld will make you think you are no longer in the Midwest.

Personally I don't really get tired of riding some of the same roads over and over. It is the pleasure of riding that I enjoy, and while having a destination is nice, its not necessary for a good one or two hour ride. My wife as passenger gets a bit bored by the same roads again and again, but as a rider I am OK with it. Not long ago I took a solo trip to the Maggie Valley, NC area and really enjoyed the Cherohala Skyway and the southern 100 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway, and of course the obligatory Tail of the Dragon (which I think is overrated). If it were just good roads that I was moving to be near, that part of North Carolina would be a place to be, or possibly south east Ohio as well. I'll just add that if you really want some great roads to try, go to Hwy 191 from Clifton to Alpine, Arizona (about 85 or 90 miles of twisty moutain roads and absolutely no traffic) or along the Columbia River that is the border between Oregon and Washington. There is also Alt. Hwy 14 in Wyoming, but not for the faint hearted rider.

#25 ·
The truly sad state of the state of Illinois is why my wife and I bailed out and moved to Lake Barkley in Kentucky. Great roads and really great people.

Eff them politicians in Illinois, we're out. When enough people do that they will finally wonder where their next meal is coming from and then things will change. I wasn't willing to pour any more good money after bad by waiting it out.

You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
Know when to run...

We read the writing and ran - don't regret it for a second.

G
#26 ·
Be cause of family obligations I am stuck here.
The name "Illinois" is fitting"
It is Ill and the politicians create nothing but nois.
Sad, sad, sad.
Being a retired state employee and having two sons doing careers with the state is frightening.

Doug

#28 ·
We moved from a 4000 sq ft home in IL to a 7500 sq ft home on Lake Barkley and our total tax bill has decreased by roughly 35% - that's property taxes, taxes on vehicle registration, and state income taxes.

There are some serious problems in IL and the vast majority are in Springfield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.