GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all talked me into getting the isolater harness, but now I am wondering where you are mounting the bike portion of the wire connector. I was thinking of putting it on the hitch, but was curious as to where you have found the best place to be. On the hitch it will be under the fender and exposed to all of the mud that the tire throws up.

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Biglefti
I mounted mine on the hitch so that it is barely visable. If you are interested PM me and I will send pictures.

·
Registered
409 Posts
With the hitch mounted outlet I had to put a plug inline behind the fender so when I want to remove the hitch and put in the cooler rack it just unplugs.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
In 1957, I mounted mine beside the license plate on my Square Four. Did that on the 63 Bmw, the 74 BMW, the 77 BMW, the 79 BMW, the 91 Wing, the 93 Wing and then I got an 01 Wing and got lazyitis at the same time and mounted it by the hitch.

That was a very big mistake, because it took only about 15,000 miles for it to short out from the mud and crud off the rear wheel. Of course, it happened at midnight near Hot Springs, in a rain and I needed to keep going. I parked under an overhang in front of a furniture store that had its window lights on, and proceed to clear the arc and short and was on my way in an hour and a half, getting home in Spring Branch at 10 am the next day after leaving Knoxville the morning before.

When I totaled the 01 out and got the 04, I returned to the area beside the license plate for the socket, making some brackets to hold the socket.

But then I saw an even better installation done by Andy Pearson which is really simple. He mounted the connector in the bottom fairing of the trip trunk. All the electrical infomation is there and the socket is out of sight when not in use. There is plenty of depth to house the socket andn so it works out very well.

I have 753,004 miles pulling trailers with motorcycles and the only time I have had a problem with he socket was on the 01 bike witht he socket on the hitch.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Biglefti,

I let the wires and plug come out about 5 inches, and when I'm not towing the trailer, I wrap them in a sandwich bag then tie wrap the bag shut. Then I tie wrap the whole bunch behind the rear fender on top of the hitch that's attached to the bike. Makes for a water-proof assembly that's out of sight. Simple and easy.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Re: Where are you guys mounting the wire connector on the bi

biglefti said:
You all talked me into getting the isolater harness, but now I am wondering where you are mounting the bike portion of the wire connector. I was thinking of putting it on the hitch, but was curious as to where you have found the best place to be. On the hitch it will be under the fender and exposed to all of the mud that the tire throws up.
I've had trailer pigtrails on my bikes for the last 10 years. So far, I've always left them uncovered and usually stuck face down through one of the safety chain D-rings on the hitch. That way it can't be seen. Also, they have never gotten very dirty, although I don't go off-road much on mine but have ridden in my share of rain. lol

I'm about to re-wire my trailer and am going to a 6-wire system, just like the one in Tom's pic. You have to bolt the recepticle to the bike somewhere because these come with a hard mount for the recepticle. That's where I'm going to mount it, too, because it is less noticeable there. When I'm not pulling, I don't want it to be obvious I have a trailer hitch installed. YOMD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts