GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aloha,

I'd like some help locating an inexpensive ($500.00 or less) rental of a UJM 1000cc type bike for a week from April, 14th through 21st in Wakoloa on the Big Island.

Two days would work also. I'd like to ride the Kohala Mtns. loop (SR 190,250,270 and 19). And on Maui, Haleakala NP (SR 378)... looks twisty..what's the speed limit ?....

Suggestions for local pubs and eateries and beaches on Hawaii (The Big Island)would be nice.

Maholo,

Dish

2003 ZRX
2001 GL1800
[email protected]

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
I've googled the rental places in Hawaii for a trip we hope to make in 2008.

Metric cruiser bikes seem to fetch about $110.00 for 24 hour plus the taxes that seem to run about 16 - 18% on rentals.

Goldwings are higher $$.

Most of them want 2k $ deposit on a CC

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I too Googled....the only motorcycles for rent on the Big Island of Hawaii are Harleys.....at least as advertised on the internet.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I was there in '05 and searched for any metrics to rent beforehand. Don't recall what non Harleys were for rent but its overwhelmingly Harleys that are available. Ended up reserving a softtail in Waikiki but did not pick it up- one of those premonition things.

I DID see one Goldwing though. It was a 1500 in Lahaina. BTW- I would recommend that you ride Maui instead of the Big Island. Much more to do and better weather overall. JMHO

AG GL

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Harley Hawaii

Harley is apparently the bike of choice for the islands. My brother is there this week and he says that is all he can find. Actually he is looking for a Harley to rent, since he owns one at home since trading his Goldwing in for one (I really believe his is adopted).

My guess is, that since there are so many large ships in and out of Hawaii, that the Harley's are there to serve as boat anchors too.... :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I visit my brother in Kona (the big island) every year. The only rentals are Harleys. I believe the name is Kona HD. Not hard to locate. Kona is pretty small. There may be other possibilties in Hilo (opposite side of the island) but I don't think so. Forget the Harley. Strap a scuba tank to your back and DIVE!DIVE!DIVE! Kona is known for the Manta.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
wingnitall said:
... Forget the Harley. Strap a scuba tank to your back and DIVE!DIVE!DIVE! Kona is known for the Manta.
That was a great dive!!! Unfortunately, they weren't there for us that night, but we had a great time watching the eels feed, etc. I'm glad I had video camera with me, it's a great memory!

Stop by Jack's Diving Locker and they'll take care of you. You can ride a bike anywhere - Kona's one of the best dive locations in the world.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you go to Maui, you will want to ride the "Road to Hana". One of the best roads in the entire world. Stay the night in the Hana area for sure.

Beautiful land, beautiful road, beautiful people.

Hana...Far from Waikiki...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts