GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my cowl off today to perform the clutch maintenance and noticed the two push in plastic expanding pins at the top are missing to complete the cowl reinstallation. Any suggestion on where I can get them? I found them at that real popular wing accessory supplier but they are $5.00 for one. Seems a bit pricing. Any other sources anyone can shared?

Thanks

Bob

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
partzilla.com. What I found was $3.27 each... still a lot for a little plastic pin, but Honda is quite proud of them.... note their site is set for you to buy 8 as the default purchase, it can be modified.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Take a look a partzilla.com, pull up the Honda 1800 diagram. You can get the specific ones you need. Another option is to take a look at the auto parts store. Many times they have those in the small parts and screw section. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
partzilla.com. What I found was $3.27 each... still a lot for a little plastic pin, but Honda is quite proud of them.... note their site is set for you to buy 8 as the default purchase, it can be modified.

Don't forget the shipping charges. I ordered a clutch switch ($11.55) and the cheapest shipping charge was $7.95 :eek:4:

Free shipping if you spend more than $149

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all, I will check out partzilla and the local auto parts store.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Don't forget Harbor Freight

·
Registered
711 Posts
Any suggestion on where I can get them? I found them at that real popular wing accessory supplier but they are $5.00 for one. Seems a bit pricing. Any other sources anyone can shared?
Bob
Don't do any of those ripoff options. Just measure the rivet and buy a pack of 50 on Amazon.com for $5.00 delivered. Better yet, get the assortment of 3 different sizes, 20 of each type, for $7.00. Then you'll be ready "for ever and a day."

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I took my cowl off today to perform the clutch maintenance and noticed the two push in plastic expanding pins at the top are missing to complete the cowl reinstallation. Any suggestion on where I can get them? I found them at that real popular wing accessory supplier but they are $5.00 for one. Seems a bit pricing. Any other sources anyone can shared?

Thanks

Bob
Year is always helpful. The newer years can be different than the older years.

5th gens require 8mm rivets, and many places sell a 5/16" look-a-likes. In fact my local Honda dealer sells them too. Many places sell the Show Chrome or Big Bike look-a-likes. Probably a small box of 10 for cheep. Unfortunately they'll fill a hole, and since 5/16" is smaller, they don't hold things in place well.

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Wingstuff’s offering is $6 for 10... cheaper than Mother Honda, and you know they’re the right ones...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I bought some of the Show Chrome plastic rivets years ago, I don’t recommend buying them, they fit kind off loose and often don’t hold, they are still taking up space in my toolbox because I’m to cheap to just throw them away.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Thanks

Bob

Bob, I've got lots of push pins. If you can pull another identical one out of your cowl like you need and measure it with a micrometer so I know exactly what you need along with a pic, I'll send you some. You can reimburse me for postage if you want to but it's not necessary.

Johnny S
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Something like this kit will get you there. There are a bunch of similar offerings that may be more on point, but this was close enough for my needs on both the 'wing and my Toyota car.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0746Z8R52/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Similarly, I needed a replacement fan for my laptop and figured I'd get the two missing case screws, too. They were about $4 each from the parts supplier. This case of 350 assorted pcs was $7 when I got it 3 weeks ago, and did the job. Anyone need a small screw?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GE9AK7I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

Thanks

Bob
Is this what you are talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/690pcs-Autom...ocphy=9015362&hvtargid=pla-570313720483&psc=1

·
Registered
872 Posts
Pins

Thanks

Bob
Are you close to a dealer? I got 10 I think it was at a dealer in litchfield Illinois for about $9. That was couple years ago and still have a few left.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Just saw some on Babbitt.com that had lowercowl needing 10 for $3.95 plus shipping. Not sure if the ones you need but it would be a start.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all, I took the Amazon suggestion

Solved that for a couple lifetimes

Attachments

Reactions: Drair
1 - 18 of 18 Posts