GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where did "Max's Version of the Blowout Poll" go? Did someone say something wrong and the board police pulled it? Did it reach the end of its life? I'd like to know what happened.

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Mad,

I was just hitting the "Submit" button and it locked up... Guess the Govt got in here and shut us down !! That probably is a good thing as I was just starting to let it get to me !! So from now on, I will stay away from the Naysayers and only deal with positive people :lol:

JMHO 8)

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
He was asking about Max's Poll, Not laen's poll .. But thank you very much for the help !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KA7W,

I know what you mean. I posted a long rant myself due to the Naysayers, as you call them, finally getting to me. I thought it was pretty good. Maybe that is why it was pulled? Nah, I've read worse here. My resolution for the New Year is to not respond to the B.S. and Trolls and just try to stay positive and provide help and information where I can.

Happy New Year!

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
I am going to try that myself LOL ... I do have a tendency to stick up for friends and thoughts :lol:

And as you can tell, I don't back down very often :lol: But I do admit when I am wrong and when I make a mistake !!

JMHO 8)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My last post over there was pretty reserved but I did end by saying I'm wasting too much time and wanted to go for a ride.

Do polls have a limited lifetime? Laen's is still there but some of the rest I've seen are gone.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hey Guys, I think what that thread and many others here illustrate is that there are many opinions about everything.

For every "expert" with 30 years of riding, 20 years of wrenching, and an Engineering degree from MIT who proclaims divine knowledge about a subject, there's another with just as impressive credentials who espouses the opposite viewpoint.

Global warming is a good example. Scientific gurus can't agree on that one.

There are no "truths" nor "facts". There are only perspectives and opinions.

So, enjoy a spirited debate. But, don't let it get to you. :D

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
KA7W said:
He was asking about Max's Poll, Not laen's poll .. But thank you very much for the help !!

JMHO 8)
Thanks for the kind remarks old man. 8)

·
Vendor
2,367 Posts
The final results of the Blowout Poll were:

6% of Wingers had experienced a blowout with a GL1800 with a serviceable tire.

225 to 13.

If I had written the pole correctly, I would have also excluded blowouts that occurred after having driven down limestone gravel roads, and mechanical and debris impacts to the tire that caused it to fail.

That would have dropped the results by another 2-3%. Regardless, less than 5% of GL owners have ever experienced a blowout, and none have crashed.

That's what I was trying to find out.

Thanks to everyone who polled. :)

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Max McAllister said:
If I had written the pole correctly, I would have also excluded blowouts that occurred after having driven down limestone gravel roads, and mechanical and debris impacts to the tire that caused it to fail.
I'll grant you the limestone gravel roads, but surviving impacts to debris on the road is one of the substantial benefits us Darksiders are claiming.

·
Vendor
2,367 Posts
The point of the poll was to determine if there was a rampant, dangerous condition which required GL owners to search for another means to make their bike roll besides the tires that were available to it.

INCLUDING the people who posted against the intent of the poll, only 6% of owners had ever experienced a blowout. None were injured.

Is that clear enough?

I think those results speak for themselves.

How about a poll for automobile drivers who had ever experienced a blowout... Bet that would cross 75%.

8)

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Max McAllister said:
How about a poll for automobile drivers who had ever experienced a blowout... Bet that would cross 75%.
I ran a car service for 10 years --- 15 cars. Probably had at least one tire let go per week...

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
Maybe we need to take a poll on who's poll we use. laen's poll shows 12 per cent and Max's poll shows less. Which one do we use ??

But how accurate are these poll's anyway. Look at the type person who even uses the internet. Us :lol: According to these polls, we have some where around 60,000 Wingers or approx 6000 Wingers riding around on Car tires happy as a lark. And that leaves 54,000 out there riding around on tires that explode often. (My Humble Opinion, and it's only a Humble Opinion)

But my vote is "YES"

JMHO 8)

·
Vendor
2,367 Posts
KA7W said:
Maybe we need to take a poll on who's poll we use. laen's poll shows 12 per cent and Max's poll shows less. Which one do we use ??

But how accurate are these poll's anyway. Look at the type person who even uses the internet. Us :lol: According to these polls, we have some where around 60,000 Wingers or approx 6000 Wingers riding around on Car tires happy as a lark. And that leaves 54,000 out there riding around on tires that explode often. (My Humble Opinion, and it's only a Humble Opinion)

But my vote is "YES"

JMHO 8)
Make no doubt about it. 10% of the GLs on the road DO NOT have CT on them. Probably not even 1%. That is misleading to people who read about this "anamoly". 8)

In hundreds of bikes we saw last year, two had CT on them. Both were sidecar rigs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
KA7W said:
They were different polls. laen's just asked if you ever had a blowout on a goldwing and Max's was more specific with the goldwing being only the gl1800's and in the first 50% of tread life. So a blowout on a 2000 and older goldwing would only get on laen's poll as would a 2001-2007 with only 1/4 tread. I think somewhere between since Max did not allow for usuable tread beyond half way.

·
Vendor
2,367 Posts
gdaddy said:
KA7W said:
They were different polls. laen's just asked if you ever had a blowout on a goldwing and Max's was more specific with the goldwing being only the gl1800's and in the first 50% of tread life. So a blowout on a 2000 and older goldwing would only get on laen's poll as would a 2001-2007 with only 1/4 tread. I think somewhere between since Max did not allow for usuable tread beyond half way.
Yes, my poll came after I realized there were people posting "Yes" who were riding bald tires at 100+mph for several hours on the freeway, while trying to keep sport bike riders from passing them. THEN having a tire failure, and THEN wondering why the scorching hot, bald tire that then had the cords showing... blew out.

:)

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
KA7W said:

But my vote is "YES"

JMHO 8)
We need another poll!!!
How many Wing's tires have "Exploded" as KA7W claims?
How many caught shrapnel from this explosion?
Of those who caught shrapnel, how many had to get surgery to remove it?

·
Banned
4,623 Posts
So if Max's poll had allowed a M/C tire to go to the wear bars as they are advertised to do. Then would it have doubled the results ??

The person you are referring to as riding past the wear bars was me! And that morning prior to leaving, I checked the tires, they were NOT touching the wear bar, yet in only 300 miles or so of riding, they had gone past the wear bars, down through the outer rubber coat and into the threads and then it blew out !! That is a poorly designed tire in my book, Notice I said "MY book" not yours, not theirs, but MY book !!

This is a DEAD HORSE thread ... You are not going to change my mind, I am not going to change your mind,

So lets all agree to disagree and call it a day. If any one wants my experience on riding on a CT, I will gladly answer your questions. If you don't want to know about CT, then read the MT threads and leave the CT threads alone !!

JMHO 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts