GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I load the SD card into my '12, the gps recognizes the new route and asks about importing it. I import the new route and again the gps indicates that it has been imported. But, when I go to check the "routes", it's not there. This has never happened as long as I have owned the bike, but now all of a sudden it has happened twice. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Just a thought....
Try formatting and creating a new sd card. Remember to create the garmin and gpx folders. Load the route on the new card, and see if that helps.

I had a problem where the uploaded routes said they were successfully transferred, but they were corrupted. I just prepared a replacement sd card uploaded my routes and all was good.

OEM card is just an sd card and they do fail.
Good luck, and please post an update.

·
Registered
361 Posts
After formatting the new sd card create a folder named garmin. Open that folder and create a new folder called gpx.
The gpx folder needs to be a sub folder of the garmin folder. Load your routes into the gpx folder.
It is the same file structure used with the OEM sd card.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys-
I did all that and the routes still didn't show up. I called Garmin--no help. They said they only make the map cards. I then went to the local dealer hoping they could help or maybe contact Honda for some ideas. The dealer couldn't solve the problem there and said they would contact Honda after I removed the NAVI unit from my '12 and installed the NAVI unit from my '13 trike. That would tell them if the problem was with the NAVI itself or somewhere in the bike. They would also check with Honda to see if it would be covered under my extended warranty. I'm not holding my breath there! If the problem is with the NAVI unit, I was hoping I could send it into a Garmin service center for repair. The other features of the NAVI work fine. It just won't download the routes from the card. When I put the card in the upper slot and turn the ignition on, it says "new gpx data found and asks if I want to import it. I select the route and select "import". It then says import successful, but when I go to check "routes", the route isn't there. This just started recently, because it always worked before. By the way, a new NAVI unit is over $3,000, so I won't be doing that. I'll keep you posted on what happens. I can't believe I'm the only or first person this has happened to.

·
DSI Keeper
9,168 Posts
You are not the first I heard of, I know of a 2013 that did exactly the same thing. The owner did not pursue a resolution with the dealership as they had a handlebar mounted Zumo that was their workhorse. I could import their routes using their SD card but they could not. They also were not able to import routes from my SD card on their bike. Same results as yours was. Bike was about a year old when they found that problem.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the NAVI unit out of my 2013 and put it into my 2012. Imported a new route and it plus all the other routes I had imported showed up. So apparently the "routes" feature on my 2012 NAVI unit doesn't work. I will try to contact Honda and/or Garmin to see if there's any way to fix it. As I said before, I am sure as heck not going to pay $3,000 for a new NAVI/XM unit! I guess I could just keep switching the NAVI units back and forth as I need them. Removing them is simple.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't expect any help from Honda or Garmin if you have this problem. I called Honda Customer Support and was told to take it to my dealer. My dealer had no luck with them, so I tried. They said they don't have the technical support for the NAVI and gave me Garmin's service number. I talked to a representative there who said they don't fix the NAVI even though they built it, and I would have to contact Honda!! I said you guys are so **** good at passing the buck that you should run for Congress and hung up!

·
Registered
288 Posts
I’m having the same issue on my ‘16.

Worked fine two weeks ago.

Created a route two nights ago, saved it on SD, installed SD into NAVI, which imported it and it showed in Routes. I even clicked on it to preview the route.

This morning, I’m packed and ready to go and go to find the route and start it and it’s missing.

Here is what I have tried:
Importing route again manually through System Setup

Renamed route, saving, import again

Delete an old route in GPS (only one in there)

Restore system to default settings

Purchased new SD card, create Garmin folder, GPX Subfolder, save route, install card in NAVI

Tried loading old route from SD that worked two weeks ago

——-

All of these resulted in the same thing every attempt:

“Data Imported Successfully”

...route not showing up in Routes.

————

Tried to reformat OEM SD but my work laptop won’t allow me the rights to do that, so I’m at a dead end. Busted out the atlas, pen and paper for tomorrow’s ride.

I wouldn’t think I would need to reformat the brand new SD card I bought today ... should I?

Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had the same issue with the GPS on my 17 wing. I've found that if the route is over too vast an area,the gps will not open the file. I am on a 4k + trip now, that long route I had to break up into 5 segments to get the gps to accept the route. Then it would import the files and open them in the central time zone before I began the trip.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've had the same issue with the GPS on my 17 wing. I've found that if the route is over too vast an area,the gps will not open the file. I am on a 4k + trip now, that long route I had to break up into 5 segments to get the gps to accept the route. Then it would import the files and open them in the central time zone before I began the trip.
As a clarifier, the trip route spanned from central to pacific and back to central time zone. The gps imported the long total trip file but wouldn't open it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried importing routes of all sizes. No Luck. Got the same response "Data Imported Successfully", but when I went to check the routes, none were there. See my posts above as to the great Honda and Garmin solutions!!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Additional tasks I’ve tried in past 16 hours:

-reformatted SD card I purchased
-installed Garmin, GPX subfolders
-saved routes to newly formatted card - a simple test route that is 60 miles long with one stop and my original route with 15 stops, 250 miles
-Cleared all track logs

Says “data imported successfully “ on both routes

Routes nowhere to be found

Next step is hitting the reset button I guess

·
Registered
188 Posts
Additional tasks I’ve tried in past 16 hours:

-reformatted SD card I purchased
-installed Garmin, GPX subfolders
-saved routes to newly formatted card - a simple test route that is 60 miles long with one stop and my original route with 15 stops, 250 miles
-Cleared all track logs

Says “data imported successfully “ on both routes

Routes nowhere to be found

Next step is hitting the reset button I guess

Not sure if this will help but worth a try. The navagation book for my bike said when using a new SD card, before doing any trips on a computer, you should build a route on the bike gps and save it to share on the new empty card. That builds the proper file structure on the card for the Navi system to read. Then you can put files in the trip file folder from a computer. You may have already done this but if not it's worth a try. HTH.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Not sure if this will help but worth a try. The navagation book for my bike said when using a new SD card, before doing any trips on a computer, you should build a route on the bike gps and save it to share on the new empty card. That builds the proper file structure on the card for the Navi system to read. Then you can put files in the trip file folder from a computer. You may have already done this but if not it's worth a try. HTH.

Thanks, at this point I’ll try anything. I did build the folder and subfolder on the new card but maybe the system is so finicky that I need to do that process in reverse.

For the record, I built and imported a grand total of ONE trip on the SD card before it decided to no longer save routes.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I am having the exact same issue.

I recently installed the 2019 Navi Maps from Garmin.

I'm wondering if I go back and reload my 2017 Navi Map will I get the same result?

I just found out about the time/date issue and Garmin sent a file to correct that problem but I haven't been home to try it.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Was anyone having this issue using the latest 2019 Garmin Navi Card or were older versions causing the issue as well?

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I tried reinstalling the 2017 map but that didn't work. It wouldn't load.

Installed the 2019 maps with the fix Garmin had for the time/date issue and that worked fine but still won't open an imported route, even though it shows to be imported successfully.

This is really frustrating, particularly since I'm a week away from beginning a 5500 mile trip to SD, Wy and Utah.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I noticed that after the route supposedly imported successfully it goes back to the "import routes and tracks" screen. When you hit the import file selection again, it's shows a blank box, so I check again, hit import, says imported successfully but comes back to the same Import Routes and Tracks".

I seem to recall before after a route loaded the menu screen opened rather the continual "import routes and tracks"..

Any help is appreciated from someone that doesn't have this issue what do you see?

BTW- I failed to mention previously I have a 2012

·
Registered
288 Posts
I noticed that after the route supposedly imported successfully it goes back to the "import routes and tracks" screen. When you hit the import file selection again, it's shows a blank box, so I check again, hit import, says imported successfully but comes back to the same Import Routes and Tracks".

I seem to recall before after a route loaded the menu screen opened rather the continual "import routes and tracks"..

Any help is appreciated from someone that doesn't have this issue what do you see?

BTW- I failed to mention previously I have a 2012

Dan, mine does the same thing. When routes were imported and saved previously, the Navi asked me if I wanted to start the route with a Yes or No.

That has not happened since this issue developed.

I’m gonna build a simple route using the Navi itself (I better put a pot of coffee on) and then try to import the SD based routes again. Will see if that does anything.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts