GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just out cleaning the bike after a ride home in the rain yesterday and I noticed this M8x60 bolt simply resting on the top of the left side of the engine.

First allow me to say that it's entirely possible this bolt did NOT come from the motorcycle, as I was cleaning out my garage last weekend and it's entirely possible that it simply found its way on the bike.

However, just to be on the safe side, do our bikes make use of any M8x60 bolts in such a way that one could make its way there? It looks awfully new to me, without a lick of thread-locker or witness marks in sight.

Quite curious.

Attachments

·
Registered
700 Posts
I think someone's messing with ya.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I cant remember the size of the bolt @ the tip over bars on the front bar rear bolt were some highway pegs mount like the Omni pegs.

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red
483 Posts
Do you have hwy pegs? If so, where are they mounted?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Goldstrike 3 way adjustable pegs and just went out and pulled the plastic covers off to investigate. Everything look as it should. I don't see anything missing a bolt. The more I think about it, the more I feel like there's no way this could come from the bike. The finish is all wrong and it just looks too new. It either flew up and landed on the bike somehow, or I'm being punked, as @EasternSP suggests.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Did you add Heli-Bars in the past? Might be 1 of the stock bolts holding the bars in place - they were replaced by the ones H-B's furnished, Just a guess.
b

·
Registered
7,767 Posts
M8 x 60 is about 5/16" x 2.5" if that helps anyone with figure usage possibilities.

·
Premium Member
Honda Goldwing 2020, Matte Black and Red
483 Posts
You used Goldstrike three ways, it came with 2 sets of bolts, I never used the second set. It didn’t fit anything!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
If it was an older Wing I'd say it's possibly a bottom of fork axle clamp bolt. I don't know your fork arrangement but worth a look.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check the bolts that hold your front brake calipers on.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
I was just out cleaning the bike after a ride home in the rain yesterday and I noticed this M8x60 bolt simply resting on the top of the left side of the engine.

First allow me to say that it's entirely possible this bolt did NOT come from the motorcycle, as I was cleaning out my garage last weekend and it's entirely possible that it simply found its way on the bike.

However, just to be on the safe side, do our bikes make use of any M8x60 bolts in such a way that one could make its way there? It looks awfully new to me, without a lick of thread-locker or witness marks in sight.

Quite curious.
Front caliper hold down bolt is M10x67.
Front engine guard tip over bolt?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check the bolts that hold your front brake calipers on.
Yes, I did check those last night and nothing missing there. I've ridden it today with no issues.

Front caliper hold down bolt is M10x67.
Front engine guard tip over bolt?
That was one of my initial suspicions as well, but I don't see anything missing on either side.

As previously asked, did you install Helibars or risers?
Negative.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts