GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was riding and noticed something on the spedo, went to rub it off (next time i'll stop first), turned out to be grease....pulled the inst cover and the blinker towers are covered in black sticky.....grease? anyone knw what thats about?
thanks, joe

Speedometer Tachometer Gauge Auto part Odometer

·
Registered
411 Posts
Its not grease

Hi Joe,

Its not grease but the remains of sticky back foam that is there I think to stop vibration. If its black and sticky then the foam probably has worn off and you only have the sticky glue left.

i was riding and noticed something on the spedo, went to rub it off (next time i'll stop first), turned out to be grease....pulled the inst cover and the blinker towers are covered in black sticky.....grease? anyone knw what thats about?
thanks, joe

View attachment 42591

·
Vendor
19,756 Posts
Wrapped on the underside of the turn signal indictor glass is a rubber/foamish cushion tape. Its Honda's way of making sure light does not escape when the turn indicator are flashng. The environment breaks it down. The best thing to do is to clean the dash lens without disturbing or getting near the indicators. A better way to deal with it is to replace the dash glass. A new one is not that costly and is crystal clear. That cushion tape is not used on the 06s and up.

http://www.hdlparts.com/fiche_secti...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2002&fveh=132148

Part #5 for $40 and will make your gauges look absolutly new.

·
GL1800 Doctor
21,132 Posts
Hi Joe,

Its not grease but the remains of sticky back foam that is there I think to stop vibration. If its black and sticky then the foam probably has worn off and you only have the sticky glue left.
Yes, you should replace it. Honda puts it there to keep the meter panel from rubbing the clear plastic and hazing it up. Clean the goop off with WD40 and replace it with 2 of these:

SEAL, TURN SIGNAL
#64259-MCA-300 $2.50

1 - 6 of 6 Posts