GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone hooked up the flash to pass garage door opener?

Where did you attach the wires?

Where did you place the receiver?

Any pics would be good.

How good are their wire connectors?

Thanx

Tony

·
Registered
356 Posts
I installed one of these and I love it. It works great and has great range too. I disconnected the three prong plug from the right side low beam and soldered the wires directly to the terminal ends. I am 1400 miles from my bike right now but if you can wait a week or so I can take some pics of the install. I could have used the connectors which are fine but I chose instead to just solder the wires. The supplied connectors are very reliable and easy to use. I wouldn't be afraid to use them, but being the overly anal perfectionist I am, I decided to drag out the soldering iron and turn a 15 minute job into a one hour project. I removed the right pocket to get to the wiring and used velcro and wire ties to secure the control box to the inside of the fairing.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up hooking it up to the right side "high" beam. aand tied it to the wiring harness.

You should hook it to hogh beams not low beams. Otherwise it is always getting power when the bike is on.

Tony

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Ok gang,
What's the "FLASH TO PASS" thing? You're not talking about the hi-low beam switch are you? Or, does it only come on later model bikes? Ours is an '02. I better not find out I've got a button on the bars that I didn't know about. I know I'm going senile but, that would put me over the top. I surely would like to make it more convenient to open and close the garage door. I've talked to people and seen on here that there's guys that have used the PTT button for the CB. I'll do that if that's the best alternative for my year bike. Thanks for your input.
Scott

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
FIRE UP said:
You're not talking about the hi-low beam switch are you?
Yes, you flash the high beams and it activates the garage door opener.

Walt

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
OK,
Now that I understand that, for those of you that done so, would it be easier to adapt/connect my little tiny garage door opener to the "flash to pass" headlight switch or, tie it into the Push to talk switch for the CB?
Scott

·
Registered
964 Posts
I bought the EC sub-harness for the flash-to-pass so I wouldn't have to tap into the bikes wiring. The sub-harness plugs in between the main bike harness and the fog light harness.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Head light power

There is a small rubber boot behind the plastic piece that holds the headlight adjuster and the rear shock adjusters. That boot has a wire & connector that is what you want for the bright headlight wire. I think it's probably put there to use for the fog lights if you install them. I used the "Autoswitch" to interface it to my Garage door opener. Works good but soldering jumpers to the garage door opener can be touchy

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,676 Posts
I'm not happy messing with wiring ('cause I'm electrically challenged), so I opted for an easier method.

I bought a "key fob" door opener, then velcroed it to the inside of the gas cap. When I approach the house, I open that door (with the key that stays in it all the time) and press the button. Works well for me, even with heavy gloves on.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
trrn11501,
When you say you hooked it up to the right side High beam, you hooked "what" up to it? Are you guys talking about using your individual garage door openers or, is there one that everyone's talking about? My opener is a Genie and so far it looks pretty simple to add a couple of wires to the correct solder/contact points and then run that set of wires to ? Am I supposed to run those two wires to one of the plugs for the high beam on the right side? Forgive me for being so ignorant in this matter but sometimes plain talk is all I understand. Pics would be nice too. If this is all true, then using the high beam momentarily will close the circuit in the door opener and trigger the closer, correct, or am I way off? Thanks for assisting me in this matter boys.
Scott

·
Registered
8 Posts
I installed it in the left fairing pocket, got it from ec. A great addition. Order the wall mount transmitter, it is like a regular wall mounted door opener, just switch yours out with this one. I purchased the adapter, plugs in by the fog lite button.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Flash 2 Pass" is the brand name and it is very simple to install.

It comes with a transmitter that has two wires that attach to the two wires that go to your high beam lights in front of the bike. It is easier to attach to the right light after removed the right hand pocket.

Inside your house all you have to do is change one of your hardwired garage door buttons for their receiver. It has a button that you can press to open the door from inside your house and it also receives the signal from your transmitter that you installed inside your bike.

The two wires attach to the high beam light wire with screw on type connectors. Very simple.

You can solder them but that is alot of work for nothing.

Now when I flash the high beams twice. The transmitter in my bike send a signal to the receiver that i replaced one of mu regu8lar door opener buttons inside the house.

What is nice about this you can attach to your car high beams or any 12v vehicle and the receiver inside the house can supposedlywork off several transmiiters from from different vehicles.

Tony

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Tony,
Thanks for the description. I got impatient and did it the easy way. I have pics on the electrical tech section of this forum. I'll try it like this for a while and see if I like it. If not, it won't be hard to patch things up, a one quarter inch hole, big deal. Thanks again.
Scott

1 - 15 of 15 Posts