GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ttok the wing apart today to hardwire my 665 in and it worked out great since it was the first time the bike had been apart by me.
I then went to mount the xm antenna and kinda was lost.

There is nothing magnetic on the wing and i prefer not to put sticky goo on any surface. So what did you gents and ladies do.

By the way the 665 rocks. Ive heard alot of complaints about it via this site but I use it in my truck and bike and its great. Now XM sucks but thats another arguement.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I have a Garmin 478 and use something like in the following link. It mounts to the back of the 478 mounting bracket (bolts on). The magnet on the antenna isn't strong enough to hold it firmly to the mount so I used some velcro.

RAM ANTENNA ADAPTER PLATE

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I ttok the wing apart today to hardwire my 665 in and it worked out great since it was the first time the bike had been apart by me.
I then went to mount the xm antenna and kinda was lost.

There is nothing magnetic on the wing and i prefer not to put sticky goo on any surface. So what did you gents and ladies do.

By the way the 665 rocks. Ive heard alot of complaints about it via this site but I use it in my truck and bike and its great. Now XM sucks but thats another arguement.
I bought a flat round metal disc that attaches just above the Zumo that holds the XM antenna (made for that purpose). Unfortunately, I bought it from a place called Cycle Gadgets that is no longer in business.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I did a google search and found this one here:

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=47566

This is just what I have and it works well.
good find. That's exactly how my 478 and antenna looks.

edit: the other thing I neglected to mention is that I have 2 Wings (in different states), and sometimes move the 478 to my car when traveling for the real time weather data. Not having the antenna buried within the Wing makes this MUCH easier since the above mount can be removed/reinstalled as a single unit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I mounted mine to the top of the right glove box lid. Had it inside the left glove box but get better reception with it on top of the right lid.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
XM Ant Location

Used a Ram angled plate and mounted behind the co rider seat. It is totally in the open and never any problems. I had problems with it mounted on the handlebars and in one of the pockets....just didn't seem to get reception quite as well for me.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Mine sits on my old XM radio mount, using the magnetic base. Reception has always been good.

The hanging Zumo was a test of my fishing leader/ tether.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have one of those velcro dash covers. My Radar Detector is velcroed to the middle and I put the XM antenna disk on the right hand side of the dash top. It seems to work very well there.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I mount mine in the right side fairing pocket. But I have velcro on the bottom and on the shelf below the speedometer. If I am out on the road and need better reception, I just put the puck up on the shelf and close the fairing pocket. I have a small groove filed into the edge of the fairing pocket to accomodate the antenna cable.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a Garmin 478 and use something like in the following link. It mounts to the back of the 478 mounting bracket (bolts on). The magnet on the antenna isn't strong enough to hold it firmly to the mount so I used some velcro.

RAM ANTENNA ADAPTER PLATE
Me too Fred. Then it makes it easy to move back and forth from bike to truck so to have Nexrad in either.

·
Registered
150 Posts

Used a Ram angled plate and mounted behind the co rider seat. It is totally in the open and never any problems. I had problems with it mounted on the handlebars and in one of the pockets....just didn't seem to get reception quite as well for me.
I mounted mine like MD11Pilot - with a RAM-344U mount and velcro. I used a 6' USB extension - I zip-tied the end beside my velcro patch on the trunk (behind the passenger seat) so I can easily remove the mount & XM antenna. If you decide to use a USB extension, make sure it has all 5 wires connected (most USB cables for computer peripherals only have 4 wires connected)!

I previously tried 3 other mount options for the XM:
1. Attached to the GPS mount using the RAM-344U mount.
2. In the empty space between the top and bottom sections of the dash.
3. In the right pocket.
I had reception issues with all 3 of these locations, especially when using the Bluetooth functionality of the GPS - Garmin recommends that the XM antenna be located at least 11" from the GPS. The other advantage to the trunk mounting location is that I can easily move the GPS and XM to my cage when I need 4 wheels.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I used a RAM mount on the right handlebar. The XM30 is bolted onto it. I use the barrel of the RAM mount to mount my Doran TPMS monitor. The Zumo is mounted on a RAM mount on the left handlebar. This system works very well.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the inputs gents. visual aids are the best and no one does it better than this forum

·
Registered
19,060 Posts

Its magnetic or for more security bolt to the top

·
Registered
140 Posts
I mounted my 665 xm ant. under the windshield garnish. I did not install the magnet base, used double stick tape and mounted it to the bottom of the tinted base of a Windbender Windshield. I found I never adjust that part of the windshield. The 665 is mounted to Jon's dash mount and the cables are all hidden under the dash. Very good reception and very well hidden.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts