GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honda wants over $3.00 for each push pin. I thought I saw someone advertising assorted size body clips for a lot less.
Where was that?

·
Registered
367 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are these the same size that the Goldwings use?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Be careful, there are different grip lengths available. The ones for the glove box pocket are the shorter grip length variety (8mm).
I'm NOT being funny or a wiseguy here. What would we do without Fred ?? Especially for a # 2 mechanic such as myself. ALL these 'little' tips from Fred are far from 'little.' They save a LOT of $$$$ and God knows how much time and frustration.

Thanks again, Fred !!!!

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
Honda wants over $3.00 for each push pin. I thought I saw someone advertising assorted size body clips for a lot less.
Where was that?
Careful what you buy. I replace aftermarket rivets all the time on Wings that come into my shop. Much of the aftermarket stuff is for a 5/16" hole, and not a 8mm hole. A 5/16" is smaller, so a 5/16" rivet in a 8mm hole is a loose fit. Basically instead of holding or securing, a 5/16" rivet only fills the whole.

The Honda shop where I buy my parts sells a 10 pack of rivets sold by Show Chrome is an example of incorrect rivets. This link from above is probably another example. This design made of textured plastic is usually a tell-tail sign of it only being a "hole filler." https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQQ21K2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As a "whole" 5th gen Wing plastic has tremendous integrity. Usually when it fails and get broke, it's cause from add'l stress like accessories, or incorrect fastener. Here, we only use OEM fasteners to properly secure and protect our customers plastic.

·
Vendor
21,306 Posts
Careful what you buy. I replace aftermarket rivets all the time on Wings that come into my shop. Much of the aftermarket stuff is for a 5/16" hole, and not a 8mm hole. A 5/16" is smaller, so a 5/16" rivet in a 8mm hole is a loose fit. Basically instead of holding or securing, a 5/16" rivet only fills the whole.
Just to be clear, the rivets discussed in this thread are 6mm in diameter, not 8mm. The grip length is 8mm, but the diameter is 6mm. The ones posted on the Amazon link are indeed 6mm in diameter with an 8.3mm grip length, which is virtually identical to the OEM Honda rivet. The only difference might be in the finish of the rivet.

There are some 8mm diameter push rivets used on the 2001-17 bikes, but they are of a total different variety.

·
Registered
783 Posts

The Honda shop where I buy my parts sells a 10 pack of rivets sold by Show Chrome is an example of incorrect rivets.
I can attest to the Show Chrome ones not fitting... :/

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is why they don't fit. I bought 80 for $7.00.
They look exactly the same and measure exactly. I did the research before buying them.
When the pin wouldn't push down and I had to use pliers to get them out (even with the pin not push in all the way) I explored the design of the pin.
You can see the design difference in the aftermarket pin (the top one) and the Honda pin (lower pin).
This is why even though they look almost exactly identical.......they don't work.
Look at the angle and that flat area on the top pin. It allows the shell to be too wide to fit in the hole. If you remove the pin, the shell fits in perfect. Then with the pin in, the outer shell is too tight to fit in the hole, the pin can't press down to expand it any further.
I only need a couple, I will just get the Honda ones and be done with it.

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
I'm sure some company out there makes aftermarket replacement that work, but thus far I've not seen ones that fit and hold like OEM. Therefore, here at JustWings we don't waist time hunting, buying, and trying, we use what we know works ... OEM parts.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On Feb 10, I ordered some from Big Bike parts and it has been almost 3 weeks and they have not shipped yet.
I called last week and they said it was in "Production".
I am going to have to call them again. I want to make sure I get these before Christmas!

·
Vendor
15,872 Posts
On Feb 10, I ordered some from Big Bike parts and it has been almost 3 weeks and they have not shipped yet.
I called last week and they said it was in "Production".
I am going to have to call them again. I want to make sure I get these before Christmas!
I'd cancel them and get the correct ones from Honda.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts