GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic has probably been hashed over a few times however I don't seem to be using the right words in my search.

When pulling a trailer, should I ride in one of the lane grooves or should I be in the center of the lane riding high. Seems that riding high subjects me to more oil and goop on the road. What is recommended? Thanks for your input.

Ron

·
Registered
687 Posts
Ron,

Good question, I am looking forward to the feedback from the board on this as well.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
If you spilt a lane into 2 sections, let's call them left and right. I usually ride in the left part of the lane. One reason is the right side usually has a lot more potholes and puddles (water). Left side you will be more visible to oncoming traffic. You do have to make sure you keep your trailer inside of your lane.

I'm sure the trailer experts will chime in here.

·
Registered
855 Posts
i ride the center of the left half of the lane. less grease/oil and rarely any road debris. that still puts you 2-3 ft from the next lane.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i point right down the middle of my lane

it gives me a few feet on each side to avoid stuff, or if i look at something and wander

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i point right down the middle of my lane

it gives me a few feet on each side to avoid stuff, or if i look at something and wander
:agree: I tend to wander sometimes too.

B

·
0 Posts
I like to pull just right of center but not as far as the right side tire groove (in between the right tire groove and center) and I too wander a bit when checking out the scenery.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
i ride the center of the left half of the lane. less grease/oil and rarely any road debris. that still puts you 2-3 ft from the next lane.
+1

Hopefully the cages have picked up all the debris before I get there.

IMHO stay off the center. Stuff there can get very slick, especially with any rain.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I stay left of center do to some of the roads (around here) having more damage near the shoulder or simply very small shoulders.

Right now in my area some of the potholes are very large and could do damage to any vehicle and it doesn't look like they are in any hurry to fill them.

Dale

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I stay left of center do to some of the roads (around here) having more damage near the shoulder or simply very small shoulders.

Right now in my area some of the potholes are very large and could do damage to any vehicle and it doesn't look like they are in any hurry to fill them.

Dale
I to stay in the left track for the same reason and its too easy to drop a wheel off the road on 2 lane roads.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Thanks Ron, I am new to pulling a trailer with a motorcycle. I've allways been a left tire groove rider. Now with the trailer I am wondering if I will have enough room on the left. So far I have been noticing that the left trailer tire has been a safe distance from the oncomming traffic.

I am also wondering about setting up for curves. .......Don

·
Registered
610 Posts
I pretty well run on the left side of the lane. It keeps me away from the edge that has potholes and such. It will also keep me on the pavem,ent in case of wind gusts. Whe I see approaching traffic, I tend to move to the right just a little, in case of wind gust and to give the oncoming traffic a little more room..just in case....!
Don,
It will come to you as you pull more. You will find out what fits your style of trailering.
Enjoy!

·
Banned
4,623 Posts

With or without the trailer I ride the same, On a two lane road, I ride near the center line until a car approaches, then I move over the right half of the road.. By being in some what of the center, it gives me more time to see animals running from either side.

On 4 lane roads, I ride left side of left lane at about 8 to 10 MPH faster than traffic.. I will pass on the right side if they don't pull over..

One other thing, My bike is invisible and I ride it that way, even with eye contact no one ever sees me !!

JMHO :cool:

·
Registered
129 Posts

With or without the trailer I ride the same, On a two lane road, I ride near the center line until a car approaches, then I move over the right half of the road.. By being in some what of the center, it gives me more time to see animals running from either side.

One other thing, My bike is invisible and I ride it that way, even with eye contact no one ever sees me !!

JMHO :cool:
:agree:+1
Except:
On 4 lane roads, I ride on the RIGHT side of left lane at about 4 - 6 MPH faster than traffic.

This puts me in their side mirror and gives me room to avoid the [insert expletive] dummies drifting into my lane because they don't see (the invisible) me.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Except:
On 4 lane roads, I ride on the RIGHT side of left lane at about 4 - 6 MPH faster than traffic.

This puts me in their side mirror and gives me room to avoid the [insert expletive] dummies drifting into my lane because they don't see (the invisible) me.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Except:

I do the same with or without trailer but modify the four lane procedure a bit.

When approaching the rear fender of a car I am overtaking I move more to the left to give a little additional reaction time if the vehicle I'm overtaking decides to wander or change lanes. Helped me once on I-40 between Asheville and Knoxville when an 18 wheeler decided to move to the inside of a left curve. A twist of the throttle and I was past before he completed the move to the left lane. Had a few words with him on the CB and he was contrite.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Anywere except center of the lane, depends on the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts