GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Me and the wife are planning our annual summer trip. This year will be the first time in about 10 years that we will ride two up on the new wing. She rode her own Harley for the past 10 years but decided to give it up after a close encounter with a Moose a few years ago. With the already limited space in the tour pack I am at a loss on how to secure our helmets when we are sightseeing away from the bike. On our Harleys we simply hung the helmets from the mirror and secured them with a device made for that purpose. That doesn’t work on the Wing. The left saddle bag hangar is ok for one helmet but it’s still cumbersome to use. What do you do for securing a helmet when the tour pack is full? (It only holds one empty).

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/products/product-information/current-key/210719.html

Or similar.

One end thru helmet, the back thru the other loop. (making a 'chocker')

The loop can then be pinned using the helmet holder on the bike -- with or without the handle provided by Honda.

If a long enough cable is selected, it could also be run thru the sleeve of a coat, or coats.

Only caution is to not get to big a diameter of cable or it will not fit the space where the pin is on the bike, forcing use of the Honda provided helmet lock handle.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,564 Posts
Me and the wife are planning our annual summer trip. This year will be the first time in about 10 years that we will ride two up on the new wing. She rode her own Harley for the past 10 years but decided to give it up after a close encounter with a Moose a few years ago. With the already limited space in the tour pack I am at a loss on how to secure our helmets when we are sightseeing away from the bike. On our Harleys we simply hung the helmets from the mirror and secured them with a device made for that purpose. That doesn’t work on the Wing. The left saddle bag hangar is ok for one helmet but it’s still cumbersome to use. What do you do for securing a helmet when the tour pack is full? (It only holds one empty).
I think the best solution I've seen so far for securing the helmets when the trunk is full is the Lidlox

https://lidlox.com/products/1022-b

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
On trips, the trunk is always full of stuff, so we hang the helmets at the rear on the license plate using the Helmet Guardian dual locks.
But I made a modified aluminum bracket to get the helmets up higher away from the hot exhaust pipes.
The Helmet Guardian works very well at lunch/dinner stops.
Jefro.

Attachments

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
Wear into the restaurant..... that’s what I do...

Mattbcnv

Reactions: JONES911

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Even with the previous generation I usually took it with me, nice and cool when I put it back on.

Reactions: JONES911

·
Registered
19,254 Posts
I have a grand almost in my Shoei Neotech 2 with Sena SRL. I lock it.
I use the Lidlox but also like the Helmet Guardian

·
Registered
605 Posts
I, too, was faced with this problem. Due to the size and brand of our helmets, they simply will not fit in the trunk. If you are touring, the truck will be filled with clothes anyway. The best solution is Lidlox. Very easy to install at the end of each handlebar. Here is the link: https://lidlox.com/ . You just slide a "T" handle that comes with the kit through the D ring of your helmet. If your helmet does not have a D ring, but has a quick release, then slip it through the quick release latch. The end of the T handle with the hole in it locks securely into the Lidlox. I also bought a set of waterproof helmet bags from amazon just in case of a shower if I am off the bike any length of time to keep them dry.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Gravity is not my friend so when possible I just sit mine on the ground next to the kickstand. Seems when I leave it on the seat it often manages to be on the ground when I get back anyway so ….. :roll:
Been riding for 51+ years & over 350k miles and only once had a helmet stolen. It belonged to a friend and we were at Bike Week in Daytona having lunch - maybe 20 yrs ago. What was strange was his helmet was the oldest, most ragged one in the bunch. Go figure.

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I think the best solution I've seen so far for securing the helmets when the trunk is full is the Lidlox

https://lidlox.com/products/1022-b
I started to attach a pic similar to what Roadie shows. My full face is XXL and the pillion XL. At first, I thought there was no way they would fit, but they do fit exactly as shown. If the trunk has "stuff" in it already, stuff that stuff into the helmets. Mine holds a ton.

prs

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,564 Posts
Gravity is not my friend so when possible I just sit mine on the ground next to the kickstand. Seems when I leave it on the seat it often manages to be on the ground when I get back anyway so ….. :roll:
Been riding for 51+ years & over 350k miles and only once had a helmet stolen. It belonged to a friend and we were at Bike Week in Daytona having lunch - maybe 20 yrs ago. What was strange was his helmet was the oldest, most ragged one in the bunch. Go figure.
I've been with friends more than once when their helmet got stolen. The last time we were two States from home and my friends wife put her helmet on top of the gas pump and went inside of a few minutes and someone drove up and stole the helmet...and it was just a cheap worthless novelty helmet that the cruiser riders like to use. It was Sunday and we couldn't find another helmet and they had to ride home thru two helmet States without a helmet...some people just seem to make a sport out of stealing.

I never leave my 800 dollar helmet/headset just sitting on the seat if I walk away....its either in the trunk or locked to the bike or I carry it with me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
On trips, the trunk is always full of stuff, so we hang the helmets at the rear on the license plate using the Helmet Guardian dual locks.
But I made a modified aluminum bracket to get the helmets up higher away from the hot exhaust pipes.
The Helmet Guardian works very well at lunch/dinner stops.
Jefro.
where can you get the guardian at? i checked wing stuff, they didn't have them.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Wife and I put our helmets on the seat and cover them with a rain cover. I ALWAYS use a rain cover when the bike is parked outside. Not going to get a seat recovered again due to sun fade. I don't give theft a thought.

I used to use a gun lock (pistol cable lock that comes free with the pistol) looped thru the d ring and grab rail lock. Our helmets STILL fit on the seats when using that method.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I use Helmet Hooks on both of my bikes. They come with a hole for a lock in case you want to secure the helmet. Not the most secure but convenient. If I'm going to leave the bike for an extended time or if I'm in an "iffy" area I take the helmet with me or use a cable lock.

Marc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts