GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to Darkside but honestly don't know where to start. I'd prefer to just be TOLD what to get but I know better than to ask "what's the best."

So...with that said, where do I start, please make a few recommendations as to car tires I should look into getting for my wing.

Also...a good match for a front tire too.

I really don't push the limits of the lean angle...but does one need to "be careful" when going from a MT to a CT and the whole lean angle thing?

I had one on my 2007 but didn't get to put many miles on it.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You are in the right place. Just read. RF has the obvious advantage. If you really know what is going on under you and have the good since to listen to the bike, a NRF is a sweet choice IMHO. A TPMS is a good idea, the Honda TPMS standard on the newer bikes works well with the higher pressure of the NRF.
Either will give you a better ride, both are responsive when you get used to them and both have their quirks. I am on a NRF at this time and must say I love it. I wore out a Kumho RF and wouldn't hesitate to go back to it. I actually may depending on the love affair I end up with on the Dunnie.

Read and decide. If you have a real question in your heart, I would suggest trying the RF first. find a post by Murgie, click the link at the bottom of his sig. There will be a list of the most used to date.

Happy hunting

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
TXREALTOR has provided great advice. While I may be slightly off, here is what I see as the top contenders based on usage with my opinion/experience as additional remarks.

Run-flats
Kumho ECSTA (KU31)
Pirelli Eufori
Michelin Primacy Alpin (ZP PA3 I think) - this is a winter tire
I think there are some good Dunlops out there but I can't remember models off top of head

Non run-flats
Falken ZE-912 (expect premature center tread wear at the popular 44 psi)
Goodyear Triple Tread but it doesn't come in the more desirable 195/55-16 size
Bridgestone Potenza

I am testing a Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 Low Rolling Resistance non run-flat now but don't recommend it if you like to run the twisties like your hair is on fire. Otherwise, I think it will be a good tire.

Since the Kumho KU31 is my favorite tire, I am a little biased with that one.

Good luck.

·
DSI Keeper
9,159 Posts
Hair on fire? Who rides like that??? You know them squared tires can't run the ridges (mountains, to you city folk).

Now, for the low down on what tires to run, Richard gave you some good info there.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Hair on fire? Who rides like that??? You know them squared tires can't run the ridges (mountains, to you city folk).

Now, for the low down on what tires to run, Richard gave you some good info there.

:agree:. Second Pirelli for me. Like 'em a lot.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts

You suppose that's what happened to my hair :?:;)

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I went to the CT a little over a year ago. Brake the decision process down in small pieces and it makes it simpler to get going with a plan.

1. Decide whether you want a RF or NRF, RF safer but rides harder, NRF smoother ride but less safe.
2. Choose a size, RF usually 195/55/16' NRF usually 195/60/16. 60 is a slight bit taller than the OEM, 55 slight bit is a slight bit short. There's no exact match to the OEM but either close enough. 60 decreases rpm, 55 increases rpm as compared to stock. Gas milage increase with the 60 is probably negligible.
3. Choose a brand, Kuhmo is most popular RF, NRF not as clear cut but from the survey, it appears the two winners are falken and dunlop sp5000.
4. Research prices and order the tire. Online usually has best prices.
5. Install it or find someone to install it. Don't be suprised if you get rejected a few times.
6. Enjoy

Don't have to worry about lean angle on the GW. Non issue with either RF or NRF.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Suppose a persons hair is on fire in the twisties watchoo you recommend then for darksider travelinlite

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
DBLXX, you might want to start by getting a spare rear rim from a trike takeoff to mount it on!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
TXREALTOR has provided great advice. While I may be slightly off, here is what I see as the top contenders based on usage with my opinion/experience as additional remarks.

Run-flats
Kumho ECSTA (KU31)
Pirelli Eufori
Michelin Primacy Alpin (ZP PA3 I think) - this is a winter tire
I think there are some good Dunlops out there but I can't remember models off top of head

Non run-flats
Falken ZE-912 (expect premature center tread wear at the popular 44 psi)
Goodyear Triple Tread but it doesn't come in the more desirable 195/55-16 size
Bridgestone Potenza

I am testing a Bridgestone Ecopia EP100 Low Rolling Resistance non run-flat now but don't recommend it if you like to run the twisties like your hair is on fire. Otherwise, I think it will be a good tire.

Since the Kumho KU31 is my favorite tire, I am a little biased with that one.

Good luck.
Thank you VERY much. What happens to the TPMS with a tire at 32PSI?

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
Thank you VERY much. What happens to the TPMS with a tire at 32PSI?
The Honda OEM TPMS will continue to flash until the tire warms up. From what I have read it is a real PITA because it flashes too much with those pressures. IMO, if you increase the pressure from 32 to say 36 to satisfy the TPMS, the tire will wear out prematurely in the center. There are ways to disable the TPMS light. Personally, I'd chit can the OEM TPMS and get an aftermarket unit that actually give you the pressure in the tire (on a per tire basis) and not just an idiot light...but that is just me.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts