GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a 2005 Goldwing that is supposed to have a Honda CB radio but I couldn't find the radio.

Where should I look for it?
How much money should the factory CB add to the price?

It is on consignment at a dealer who knows absolutely nothing about Goldwings.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
It's in the basement of the trunk under the plastic lid then under another thin plastic cover.

HDL price is $600 for the CB and $110 for the CB ant. That's about as cheap as they come new.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Turn the key on, listen to the radio, then push the CB button, and push it again if a speaker does not appear on the panel. Push the squelch button on the left handlebar until the panel reads 1, and turn up the volume. Should hear a lot of hissing and static. The push the transmit button and see if you get a 'TX' indication on the panel. If that happens, you have a CB, and it transmits.

Usually you have a CB if you have two antennas, but some aftermarket antennas are dual use models, and others just add the antenna to fly flags.

It is on consignment at a dealer who knows absolutely nothing about Goldwings.
Unfortunately, thats more than just a few.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I saw the plastic panel and thought it was the bottom of the trunk recess. Now that I think about it, there were cables going under the panel which would indicate the CB being there. I didn't think that it would be that small.

I'm trying to shop with logic rather than emotion... I'm finding that difficult. The accessories on this 2005 would cost over $1,100 if I were to buy them. Then the dealer wants to add $229 for "prep". I think that I could buy a basic 2007 for $1,100 more than this accessorized 2005. Hmmm....

Since this 2005 color isn't my first choice and I don't particularly want a $700 CB radio, I guess I should continue to shop for a cheaper 2005 or buy a 2007.

The prime Florida riding season is upon us and I'd like to indulge now that the heat of the summer is waning.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
He wanted $229 'prep' on a USED bike? He may not know anything about wings, but he understands how to squeeze water out of a rock.

Did you look at the classifieds on this board? Or drop a line to Red....he is in your area and keeps a finger on the local pulse.....

Even looking at the GWRRA for sale wings should give you an idea, but they tend to be a little proud of their scoots....

·
Registered
206 Posts
beachside39 said:
I'm trying to shop with logic rather than emotion... I'm finding that difficult. The accessories on this 2005 would cost over $1,100 if I were to buy them. Then the dealer wants to add $229 for "prep". I think that I could buy a basic 2007 for $1,100 more than this accessorized 2005. Hmmm....

Since this 2005 color isn't my first choice and I don't particularly want a $700 CB radio, I guess I should continue to shop for a cheaper 2005 or buy a 2007.
I just went through a very similar experience, and ended up buying a slightly used 2005 (with a lot of accessories) for a bit less than what yours sounds like it will cost. Wasn't my first color choice, but now that I have it, I love it. I figure I probably saved over $5K over what I would have had to spend to get a comparably equipped new bike, and 16 months of warranty wasn't worth that much money to me.

One big consideration in my case was that I wanted ABS, and this bike has it. If you buy a new GW and want ABS, you have to also buy the kitchen sink, a spare chair for the dining room, and hallway carpet in order to get it.

Carl

·
Registered
755 Posts
JWScott said:
I think its pretty crappy of Honda to provide nice controls for a CB but not provide a $50.00 CB! :shock:
What is even worse is to expect you to pay $500-600 for a $50 CB! :x

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kg5ie said:
JWScott said:
I think its pretty crappy of Honda to provide nice controls for a CB but not provide a $50.00 CB! :shock:
What is even worse is to expect you to pay $500-600 for a $50 CB! :x
I'd like to use a $489 50-watt Kenwood TM-D700A 144/440 MHz transceiver linked to a Garmin 376C GPS for APRS (automatic position reporting). It would be nice to use the CB controls for this but that appears unlikely. http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?acti ... W-TM-D700A

The dealer hadn't even cleaned this 2005 Goldwing. He said that they'll do that after the sale and payment of the $229 prep fees. If it had ABS I'd be a lot more interested... they want $15,500 for it. Since it wasn't exactly what I wanted, I offered $15,000 out-the-door on Monday and the salesman never called me back. Oh well !

·
Registered
1,599 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Wow Dritibrd I'm likin that co-pilot, very nice , hey tell any dealer to take their dealer prep and stick it, I find the best price in the usa on a new wing usually chatanooga, tn and go to My dealers in the area and tell them to sell Me one for $300.00 thats what it would cost to go get it there You will find one who wants to sell wings for Your price keep looking and get a 06 or 07, break it in yourself and tkae care of it, I find a cb a must witha group or on a trip but I'm a truck driver, it's a nice option get it and install yourself much cheaper way to go., good luck lookin'

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
IR Harry.... that's one beautiful Goldwing. Thanks for the lead. I'm adding up the accessories right now. Tacoma is about as far away as I could go inside the Continental US but it looks like it's worth considering.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just receive my CB for my 06 wing and have a question for you all. The instructions say to NOT drill the 4 holes for the CB cover if you have a CD changer. Then in the next sentence they say DO install the cover if you have a CD changer. How do you install the cover without drilling the holes for the rivets? or do you just leave the cover off ??

Thanks in advance.

Marc

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
if Your using the cd changer which most people are not with satellite radio's and mp3 players now a days, if cd is installed drill holes if not don't and don't put the cover over the cb so the heat will have room to disapate a bit, but do install the cover that was orginally there in bottom of trunk, use a 1 inch hole bore to drill the hole in front of trunk for the wires for cb ,I use a 1 inch bore for wood spade type and it will be perfect run the wires through and silicone seal the area with weatherstip adhesive, don't remove trunk as per instructions , just remove seat drill from front sideI use silicone adhesive to glue cb unit to bottom of trunk so it won't moe around the pads they give you don't hold for long, let Me knoe if You have any problems , snowman.... be sure to tune antenna or it won't work well!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Once you mount your CB and realize it is now the low position in the trunk, you might consider drilling some drain holes under the CB. I read on one of these boards where a Winger was carrying water in the trunk The container leaked and fried the CB because it was flooded. Drill holes to allow any water to leak out.

Ed
'06 ABS

·
Registered
164 Posts
upssnowman said:
be sure to tune antenna or it won't work well!!!
I wish I could. My SWR meter only has PL259 connectors and this cheap LOL: CB has an AM antenna. I will have to see if anyone around here has a meter that will work.

Ya wanna run over and tune it for me? :D Its not that far to Denver :shock:

Marc

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
You can't use the am antenna it's not cut for the correct frequency range and will eventually fry the finals in the cb due to a high swr, there are some small cables that can be had easily from a group or friend pl-259 to motorola type-f adapter that is needed to hook to meter, that's after you get the cb antenna mounted?!.......................drain hole idea above should let more water in the trunk then out because it's right above the rear tire, bad idea, you don't want any holes in trunk

·
Registered
164 Posts
upsnowman,

I was kidding about the AM antenna. I did install the CB antenna but was refering to the plug not being a normal PL259. I went to Rat Shack and they had never heard of the PL259 to Motorola adapters. If you have a line on where I could buy some it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Marc

1 - 20 of 24 Posts