GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we no longer have an Off Topic section I posted a topic about a fraud situation about Paypal. Alot of people on this board use Paypal. The thread was deleted. However if you look on the General Board you see all kinds of topics that have no relation to bikes or this board at all that are not deleted. So my question is what is "allowed by the upper god's" and whats not allowed? I do like to follow the rules, just want to make sure I know the rules so that I may follow them.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I would send a email to the gods and asked cause we cant tell you we are just the little people

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Some guide lines would be: Is it in good taste and not offending a bunch of members. Is the post going to effect the business of Honda Direct Line. Is the post going to slam any members of this board. These 3 items would cover about 99% of the pulled posts.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ah comon Toyo, you and I know that rules are meant to be broken. And do bad mouth me back, cause I have tried to keep up with you while you were driving "Your Speed Limit"

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
I just follow the logic that since the Off Topic board was removed and there is no place for off topic messages, then the admins of the board don't want off topic messages. Therefor I don't post off topic messages. Then there are no problems.

One of the reasons they got rid of the Off Topic board, besides all the garbage that was there, is also all the emails Hal and Lamont had to put up with all the time. I wouldn't email them about it. They deleted a post they didn't want. End of story. Time to move on. If I was an admin or mod there are a lot more I'd get rid of. Just saying "I better mention motorcycles to put this on topic" does not make it a motorcycle related post. :roll:

·
Registered
806 Posts
Please don't stir to much, this board is just getting fun to read again. :roll:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Good question Steven.

BlueWing said:
Some guide lines would be: Is it in good taste and not offending a bunch of members.
What's offensive is a broad spectrum. You can't offend me... but I realize that the line is different for everyone. I've been "reprimanded" a time or two on this board, by the moderators and by "members" for posts that I knew were probably questionable, if not just a bit on the edge. While being reprimanded, I'm getting PM's from people who can't understand why I'm being reprimanded. I guess you have to kind of be here for awhile and feel out Hal and Lamont to see how they want to run their forum. It is there house, and I try to respect that. Sometimes my warped sense of humor gets the best of me. It's probably difficult for the moderators to lay out rules and restrictions any more detailed than they have, and I give them credit for doing the job they do to try and keep things in line here. We kind of have to police ourselves at the same time... but we all come from different places.

Perhaps if someone (other than a moderator) is offended by a post, they could post their objection, or PM the author of the objectionable post. It's the internet... and it's still kind of like the wild, wild west. I think overall, this board is "family oriented" in a current culture kind of way.

Steven, I beleive that my reply to your post (an off color joke about a Home Depot scam) may have been the reason for its deletion. If that is the case, I appologize to you, the board moderators, and anyone else who was offended. (I cleaned up that joke alot from its original form :oops: :roll: )

By all means, repost your original message. (even though it was off topic :lol: :lol: )

Since the omission ot the OT board and the simultanious spread of PMS, there has been alot more garbage on this board. I for one am guilty of that. When you get to know the folks here personally, it's hard not to communicate with them like you were hanging out in person. I for one will try to exersize more restraint in that regard.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hi Toyo,
and Merry Christmas to you and all your family!

You're right, there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason sometimes, but I think as long as it's all done in fun, no one is flamed, and no one is terribly offended, Lamont and Hal will let a thread ride.

That said, Lamont, you have my complete permission to delete Hedo's Christmas present to me! :D

While I am not terribly impressed by the flow of bikini-clad models, I do understand that this is a male-dominated group, and boys WILL be boys! I would much rather come to the board and get a good laugh than endure yet another tires/oil/crush washer thread, or a political diatribe.

So, here's a big hug to you, Steven, and a heartfelt wish for a happy Christmas and a blessed New Year!

Becky

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Toyo, I use PayPal alot and would have loved to see the post. It would seem to me that the General board would be the place for info like that.

Hey think about it if i get screwed over on PayPal. I have no money to spend at the Holiday sale.

All kidding aside, I would think that should have stayed.

·
Registered
8,317 Posts
I think people need to read Lamont's postcarefully.

It says not to PM about removed posts. Someone recommended that.

It says the focus of this board is motorcycles. Someone implied he was interested in other stuff.

It says not to re-post messages that have been removed. Someone said to re-post it.

Like I said, read Lamont's postcarefully.

·
Registered
227 Posts
There's a lot of credit card fraud, too, and identity theft, both of which could potentially affect members of this board. Or anyone else. People should probably know that eating raw oysters could make them sick, and I bet a lot of board members like oysters. Where do you draw the line, indeed?

Off-topic stuff, once you quit policing it, can get out of hand quickly, and this board would wind up being a repository for all the crap we get by e-mail already - urban legends, political messages, anti-immigrant rants, etc, etc.

I think that's where the board moderators are coming from. Just wish they'd be more consistent. For example, trike messages keep showing up on the General MC Message Board. To my mind, trikes aren't motorcycles, so they're off-topic!

So here's something to make this post on-topic: I rode my GW to work today, and when my wife figured out I did, she called to warn me about crazy drivers on the last working day before Christmas. Sure as hell, some bozo tried to kill me on my way home. I jinked hard to the right, and even though it was raining and the road was wet, my Dunlop 250s held their grip and I lived to ride again another day.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Soloquest said:
Steven, I beleive that my reply to your post (an off color joke about a Home Depot scam) may have been the reason for its deletion. If that is the case, I appologize to you, the board moderators, and anyone else who was offended. (I cleaned up that joke alot from its original form :oops: :roll: )

Soloquest, I bet it was because of them big words you was using. :)

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did read Lamont's post. I did not offend anybody. I did not try to stir up any pot. I did not Pm or Email Lamont in regards to it being deleted. In other words I didnt "feel" like I was abusing my privalages. I simply thought it was good info for people to look out for since alot of us use Paypal to buy stuff on this board.
I just would like to know for in the future what can and cant be posted. I believe I remember seeing a post about the shuttle landing today. I would think my post would be more board material than the shuttle?

In regards to the Almighty Gods, that was not meant to be insulting. Its just a matter of speach to the head hochos!

·
Registered
19,991 Posts
If you get stopped by a cop for speeding, would you ask the cop why the guy in front of you didn't get stopped too?
$hit happens. You admit that it was off topic and didn't follow the rules. You knew the risk was there, even if you were just trying to help. It may not be fiar, but what is?

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did I admit that it was off topic? Like I said before, Alot of people on this board use Paypal. That means it pertains to this board. Simple as that.

·
15 year Member
6,904 Posts
Toyo said:
I did read Lamont's post. I did not offend anybody. I did not try to stir up any pot. I did not Pm or Email Lamont in regards to it being deleted. In other words I didnt "feel" like I was abusing my privalages. I simply thought it was good info for people to look out for since alot of us use Paypal to buy stuff on this board.
I just would like to know for in the future what can and cant be posted. I believe I remember seeing a post about the shuttle landing today. I would think my post would be more board material than the shuttle?

In regards to the Almighty Gods, that was not meant to be insulting. Its just a matter of speach to the head hochos!
If a off topic post becomes the focus of the board it will be removed.

It is ultimateley La Monts and Hals board... They have the right to keep and enjoy or delete ANY post they want.... ITS THEIR BAT AND BALL

I agree with you Toyo but the rules are the rules and they are GOD on this level

Matt(Ashland,MA)

3 DAYS LEFT TILL CHRISTMAS BUY YOUR LAST MINUTE GIFTS AT DIRECT LINE HONDA!!!!!!

God Bless America!!

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Toyo said:
Where did I admit that it was off topic? Like I said before, Alot of people on this board use Paypal. That means it pertains to this board. Simple as that.

yes , I use PayPal .

I did not see your original post, there for I am a victim since the post was removed.

:sparkplug:

H

·
0 Posts
Guys,

Its no fun for Lamont to have to try and maintain civility of the message boards. I don't worry about what he does cause its thankless and it will never make everyone happy.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Then my .02 cents would be that since this is a Goldwing Board, anything that does not have to do with Wings could also be considered Off Topic and if it is Policed that way then no one could have a beef, but thats just not how it seems to work, Thats my opinion, and you know what those are like....

Guess we all better stop tryin to help each other on any subject that has to do with anything not Wing related. Too Bad isnt it.

I promise that I wont post anything non Wing related any more.

Toyo you are a true good guy and so please dont let this situation sour you. You are a valuable asset to this community and to the people that come here. Keep your chin up!!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts